Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How Long Has It Been

Go down 
+3
Abe F. March
alice
dtpollard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

How Long Has It Been Empty
PostSubject: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm

It has been a while since I first met some of you online on this board and that was before this board was formed. There have been a lot of changes and even some losses along the way, but we are still going at it through ups and downs. It shows that some do things because that is what they like to do or feel called to do. If it was for fame and fortune many of us would have thrown in the towel long ago, but just like everything else it is the unique places, people and books that give variety to life, otherwise everyone would just read the same mass marketed material. What would be the fun in that?

I'm sure each one of us is someone's favorite author. I had a guy online tell me that his niece read a lot of my work. It sounded strange to hear that and I wondered what she got out of reading something I wrote.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

It has been a long time. Six years for me
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm

From the beginning. A few of the people I met on the PA Forum became friends that have lasted through the ups and downs. Yes, we lost some along the way. Some left us by choice while some had no choice. I value the time they spent with us and their memories linger.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 4:24 am

Kindred spirits.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 am

I started at PA in 2006. I do miss the input of several people who began posting here. Some have passed to that unknown eternity - and their words and thoughts remain. My life has been enriched by those who post to this board - and by this place to practice my thoughts and be supported or challenged. It is here that I realized how strong we cling to our beliefs and selectively gather information to support them - or just plain cling without support.

Each of us have had many changes in our lives and at different levels, shared some of those times with others here. I went from full-time meaningful employment to the shock of being unemployed and unable to gain another full-time position. Funny thing, though, my favorite thing, writing, has seemed to grow in the financial gap; and I would not have the time if a "real job" came through.

The other day, a friend said, "Don't you have a part-time job?" I didn't think of it that way - I do write six articles a month for the Southwest Spotlight and am under contract to do two professional profiles at a fee. In between, I work on novels. No, I don't have a part-time job - I think it's moving toward full-time, and I love it!

Thanks DT for the moment of reflection. Once before we planned a "reunion" where a call went out to previous people to post here and provide an update. Maybe the "reunion committee" could try that again.

By the way - I hope all the fathers out there are getting ready to "celebrate" their day. Fathers can make such a positive difference in the lies of their children and in the lives of children they may mentor - positive male influences are so needed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:49 am

How Long Has It Been 950944
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 am

Yes, DT, we met a long time ago. I remember receiving a private message from you on MySpace, asking if I knew the whereabouts of the Author Society. I hadn't joined the forum, but I kenw how to find it. You joined and then migrated with the other members to this forum. The forum has seen turbulent times. Members left, returned and left again. Some left and never returned. Throughout all the arguments, though, we have managed to remain constant. We haven't changed to try to accomodate those who eventually left. Each and every one of us has stayed true to ourselves. Quite an accomplishment, don't you think?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:45 am

WOW! Reflecting back, I started nine years ago on the PA forum...got myself banned...bounced around several writer's forums, including here.
I've made several friends over the years on the boards and I dare say probably a few enemies.
Having been one of those that came and went several times, I will say this is the only writer's forum I still belong to and though at times I have vehemently been opposed to some of the opinions voiced, I would always defend to the death the right of the people to voice those opinions.
As you said Shelagh, "Each and every one of us has stayed true to ourselves." We've been able to support each other as well as debate an issue, sometimes to the point of arguments. We've been able to offer advise, lend a shoulder or send out a prayer, sometimes even after we've had to kiss and make up.

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you all, I'm proud to be associated with each and everyone of you.

GOD BLESS
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 am

I missed some who left because they felt the heat of debate. Though I disagree major with some of the opinions expressed by others; I know that likewise, my opinions are similarly regarded. That fact is always humbling, the knowledge that wh at is obvious to me is not the same awe-inspiring thought to another.

I appreciate people with strong opinions that they support with facts. I don't much like name calling; but that's my issue. Strong, opposing opinions help me sharpen my opinion which also helps me write better.
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 am

Wow, Shelagh, Myspace. I used to spend a ton of time there. I even had over 1,000 friends there and started a Book Club Group. Now I rarely log in. Times have changed.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 am

I also found my MySpace account; but I don't know how to log in :-( so I just float there without a purpose.

I heard someone on tv say that Facebook will met the same fate - and that Pinterest is the new kid on the block. Of course, I post on Pinterest. However, just like Facebook or any of the other social sites, I have neither the time nor the knowledge to make them "pay off" as others have done.

Thanks for starting this very thought-provoking thread, DT.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 am

Just thinking about the recent past and the people we've met and interacted with is great. I was just today reviewing the books on my shelf written by fellow-authors. When I run of something to read, I pick up one of those books and re-read it. I became a fan of Don Stephens and have read his books more than once. That doesn't mean I don't like the other books, however what he writes is a genre that appeals to me. I think the book I have read most often is Dick Stoghill's Normandy 1944. When I read his book it brings him to life in my mind.
It also re-affirms my hate of war. When I read posts on FB that infer that we should just "nuke em" or "wipe them out", it turns me against that person. Usually it is someone that had no experience with war and proclaims to be a good Christian.

Again, it is good to remember and thanks for the opportunity with this thread.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 am

I do like you all.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Is anyone going to PA authors convention in Atlanta?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't have the income to attend, but I think it would be fun. For all the negative stuff, PA started a bunch of us and I am grateful. I wonder if anyone will actually sell any books at the marathon book signing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Long Has It Been   How Long Has It Been Empty

Back to top Go down

How Long Has It Been
Page 1 of 1