Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Character creating & building things up

Go down 
+4
alj
Betty Fasig
Shelagh
vampireheartauthor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-05-18

Character creating & building things up Empty
PostSubject: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 am

When it comes to writing, I have a lot of ideas going through my head for basic plot ideas, but it's creating the characters to go with the plot that I have trouble with. scratch It takes me a long time to come up with a suitable character, and even then I am not sure how or exactly when to introduce them into my story. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions I could try for creating suitable characters and when to put them into a plot Question I'm stuck...
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am

The key to introducing new characters is: Does it advance the plot? As you run the basic plot ideas through your mind, try to picture the story as a movie. When the story moves rapidly from one scene to another, bring in the new character(s) to show the reader what is happening instead of the narrator telling the reader how the story unfolds. If a robbery is about to take place, introduce the would-be robbers. Let them show the reader what they are setting up and how they intend to commit the robbery. When the actual robbery takes place, it might go horribly wrong and cause the characters to behave in a bizarre or unpredictable way. If the robbers are arrested and taken into custody, use the opportunity to introduce new characters (in-mates, prison officers, police officers). Pace the introduction of new characters in line with the pace of the plot.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Dear Shelagh,
You know that I am a narrator at heart. Smile I appreciate the advice. I am trying to introduce Fannie, a wild pig who is longing for the domesticity that Ho Chi enjoys. Being a pig who has wild roots. she has been looking over the fence at the animals who live in Wooffer's Woods and longing for their community life.

Your words have helped me a lot. I can see her now.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 4:34 pm

This scene was just drafted into my yWriter yesterday, so please be gentle:

Quote :
"So you're Joshua Stone." The olive drab uniform looked out of place on the dainty blonde sitting behind her desk in the clerk's office at the Gillespie County Jail.
Stone finished signing the release papers as he asked, "A reputation already? How did I mess up this time?"
"Mess up? Mack's new NYPD supercop?
He looked quickly at the name plate on her desk before replying, "We're a long way from New York, Ms. Blake."
"Make it Betsy. Miss the big city life already?"
Stone actually laughed at that one. That's not it, Betsy. From what I've seen so far, this is a good place; I just haven't learned my way around it yet. Until I do, I'm not sure how much help I am to Mack."
"Oh, you're doin' just fine. I got the scoop from the one who really knows what's going on in Sandy Creek"
"Friend of Rayjean Simmons, are you?
"Best buds forever."
"I was afraid of that." Stone thought it was time to change the subject. "Mack said I should take the day to get to know Fredericksburg. Any suggestions?"
"How much time you got?"
"Whole day, but I saw something on the way in I want to check out going back, so let's say the rest of the morning."
"Do you mind walking?"
"I lived in New York City, Betsy."
"There's a walking tour that covers most of the sites in town. If you drive the van over to the visitor center, you could park there. Just go inside and talk to Annie Sue at the desk. She'll give you a map and guide."
"Sounds good. What about food? What would you say is the best place to eat lunch?"
"My favorite place is the Auslander."
"Auslander?"
"Fredericksburg was settled by Germans, Deputy Stone. That's mostly what we eat here, German cooking."
"Make it just Stone, Betsy. German as in bratwurst?"
"Among other things, yes. Best bratwurst sandwich in town."
"Sounds like you know the menu."
"Want me to start with the appetizers or the beer and wine list?"
"If you're free for lunch, why don't you meet me there. My treat for the friendly welcome."
"I'm on an early schedule today, but if you head over to the center now, and get started, you should be through by eleven, and the restaurant will be open by then. If that isn't too early for you, you're on."

Stone found himself so caught up in the Old World character of the Fredericksburg Historic District, he forgot to watch the time. Whe he checked, he could hardly believe it was nearly eleven, and he was several blocks from the restaurant where he was to meet Betsy. He had been walking for several hours, but was more refreshed than tired. Every place he had stopped, he found friendly, helpful people. There was something in the air in this place. He had noticed it as soon as he walked out of the airport in San Antonio with the twins. Whatever it was, it had grown stronger the deeper he had driven into the hills. He was in one of the historical exhibits in the public library, learning more about the library building, which had been the county courthouse in an earlier time. It was an old Romanesque style building that was popular in Germany during the 1830's, and built here in 1883.
He left the building and hurried down Main Street, which ran through the center of town, a wide, four-laned thoroughfare with angled parking on both sides. The side he was walking on seemed like something out of the 19th century, a cross between Old Germany and the western frontier. Iron post held up awnings and second-story balconies, and along the street, next to the curb were wrought-iron benches flanked by large, half-barrel pots filled with brightly colored flowers.
He heard someone call his name and turned to see Betsy Blake walking up the street behind him. He stopped and waited.
"Looks like we have good timing. How was the tour?"
"Great, what I saw of it. I could spend a day apiece in some of these buildings. I have a thing for old architecture. Like that building up ahead, The Nimitz? The one that looks like the bow of an old ship?"
"Yes, Chester W. was one of our more famous natives."
"And his grandfather built the original part of the building in - what - 1852?"
"About then. That one, the library, and the Vereins-Kirche across the street from the library are probably some of the most photographed buildings in the state."
"The Vereins-Kirche is a reproduction."
"That's right. It looks the same, but the materials are different."
"I saw some pictures. It was originally faschwerk?"
"Yes, like many of the oldest homes here. Did you get to see any of them?"
"A couple. A real Old Europe look. Is this the restaurant?"
"The Auschlander Biergarten had that look, and once they were inside, Betsy asked the hostess if there was an empty table on the patio as she sent a questioning look in Stone's directio as well.
He nodded his approval, and they were seated at a comfortable one with a red-checkered oilcloth cover.

The sandwich was as good as Betsy had promised, if not better. The murmur of soft-drawled voices around them was pleasant, and low enoug that it did not keep them from talking. Betsy was easy to talk to.
"So, let me guess. That 'something' you saw on the way in was our local 'sacred space,' I'll bet."
"The sign said 'Enchanted Rock.'"
"That's it."
"Sacred?"
"To the native Americans who lived around here before they were forced into Oklahoma, definitely. But today, it's the New Age groups who say so, if you believe in that sort of thing."
"What sort of thing?"
"Oh, High energy spots, vortices, I think they call them. Some of these people even talk about portals."
"Portals?"
"Entry points, or so they say, to other times, or what they call parallel universes."
"No kidding?"
"A lot of people think so. I'm a skeptic, though. Too far out for me. But these groups and individuals come here, some of them with special equipment and stuff. They say it's like that place in Arizona."
"Sedona?"
"That's it. Are you into that stuff?"
"Heard of it; not into it."
"Well. I will say this, though. There is something about that place. It's a little freaky - in a good way."
"Good how?"
"I can't say exactly. It's just that being there makes you feel good. I can't explain it, but I've felt it, and so have most of the people who live around here. It has to do with why th native people call it sacred - that, and the lights."
"Lights?"
"Some evenings at dusk, or very early morning, they kind of shimmer over the top of it. Only the scientists have explained that part. It's over my head, but I take their word for it. It's made of a special kind of granite, and the rock itself is millions of years old - one of the oldest spots in the country, apparently."
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 am

It needs editing for typos, Ann, but it is an excellent example of showing not telling. The "information dump" of historical facts are neatly and interestingly built into the dialogue, giving the reader a sense of walking around the town instead of reading about the history of the place. Keep going!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 am

Thank you, Shelagh.

It's so new I haven't even run the first spell-check. It seemed kind of synchronistic that you started the thread just as I was writing the scene, so I thought I ought to post it, just to see what anyone might think about it.

Betty, glad to see that Fannie is coming along.

BTW, just in case she pops her head in these days, I owe a huge "Thank you!" to LC for the Romanesque architecture thing. If she hadn't mentioned it in her comments re the building when I posted it on the "A Time for Love" cover thread, I wouldn't have known where to start researching it.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Oops. Sorry, Vampire Heart. This is your thread. Didn't mean to slight. I'm just getting old, as I said earlier.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:16 pm

My publisher just complained about my manuscript that I am "telling." I like to tell - like sitting over coffee telling a story - but readers want action these days, not poetic prose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptyFri May 25, 2012 6:15 am

One suggestion would be: Do a character outline for each character, even it's a minor or a supporting character. For the biggies, write down as much trivial information about the person. You may not use it all, but you'll have a better feel for personality and dialogue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
damienjoseph

damienjoseph

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptySat May 26, 2012 5:38 am

I would definitely go with slb's plan for creating the characters. I have used the same structure for some of my short stories that involves a plethora of characters with unique qualities. It's a brilliant system and it will have you being organized for future references of those characters.

As to introducing the characters to the story, that usually depends on you and when you feel it's ready to introduce a character.

Try adding a new character when you feel that there is room to add a new character in your story. For instance, the lead character is robbing the bank, during the bank robbery he talks to a(new character) hostage.

Hopefully I explained that pretty well without you having to scratch your head.
Back to top Go down
http://damienjoseph.info
DMPierson
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
DMPierson

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 am

The way I do things, and this might not work for you, but it's still worth a shot, is instead of trying to fit your characters into a plot, have the plot fit into the characters. Let me try and explain. Basically what I'm saying is; if your characters are good enough, then the plot should write itself.

For instance, let's say the main character gets turned into a vampire on the first page, what obstacles will the character face? Will it conflict with their upbringing and morals? How will their friends and family react? How will this change the character? What will the character do with this curse, or gift? Will they go after the one that turned them, or will they embrace him/her? How will they deal with feeding for the first time? Will they try to hide from society, or try to make people understand? Will they embrace feeding off the living, or find another means of feeding? How will they deal with those who hunt and kill vampires?

The possibilities are nearly endless, and this is only the main character. You need to ask what this character would do in this situation, or this character in that situation. It's difficult, but you need to put yourself in the character's shoes. Feel what they feel, think what they think, say what they say, and so on.

Now, this is just how I do things, and I know this won't work for everyone, but it might give you something to think about. Everyone has their own way of writing, and I hope you can find yours. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:30 am

Jeffrey Archer is a very popular writer He narrates with minimal dialogue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character creating & building things up   Character creating & building things up Empty

Back to top Go down

Character creating & building things up
Page 1 of 1