Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Credit rating can affect employment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Credit rating can affect employment Empty
PostSubject: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 pm

It is reported that many job applicants are being rejected based on employment credit checks. Seems ironic that the reason for bad credit was caused by the loss of a job and to redeem good credit rating they need a job. Employers seem to think that bad credit makes the employee a bad risk – not trustworthy. Another irony? Can an employee trust their employer?
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 12:24 am

It is true.

This happened to me. I didn't get a job as police dispatcher because my credit wasn't worthy. (Although it was good enough to buy a house, shortly thereafter).

I scored high on the POST exam, am fluently bilingual, passed the oral board, was an EMT, and was more than qualified for the job. The only thing in my background check that wasn't spotless was my credit.

What really made me rather annoyed was that not much later there was a news report about the city having trouble filling the position.

Augh!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 am

JoElle,
I am sorry to hear that. You may have a good story for the media since it is now a hot topic. Adversity can be a benefit. Don't give up. You have talent and much to offer an employer. You can't lose something you don't have, therefore there's nothing to lose by trying.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 7:35 am

10/29/2011

I don't think anyone's credit report should be used against
them, to me this illegal and they do use it, I can see doing
a criminal background check, this I agree with. I think
Congress has to make a law against checking one's credit
when applying for a job....Write your Congressmen today..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:53 am

Credit reports have been used for job screening for a long time. Landlords and car/property insurance companies do them, too.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

LC wrote:
Credit reports have been used for job screening for a long time. Landlords and car/property insurance companies do them, too.

Yes, they do it, but it doesn't make it right. Bad credit is not always an employment problem. It is often mis-management. However when the manager defaults on his/her credit, do they fire themselves?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:40 am

Well, a lot of things aren't "right," but they're the best we might have. Bad credit may not be someone's fault, but it also may be! I assume the people scrutinizing it use judgement. If they see a period of unemployment they may sympathize. If they see continued employment but a deliberate avoidance of bills, they may rightfully pass the person over.

A person with bad credit should also not be hired in a position where he advises others on money or manages it, no matter what the circumstances of that bad credit, imo. There are too many other people with good credit.

I doubt a manager would fire him or herself over his/her own bad credit, but in case of job loss, that person would be just another candidate seeking a job and open to others' interpretation of that credit.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:02 pm

LC, your points are well taken. I hope that the prospective employers will use good judgement in making decisions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Credit rating can affect employment   Credit rating can affect employment Empty

Back to top Go down

Credit rating can affect employment
Page 1 of 1