Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Legal question for those forming publishing companies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Legal question for those forming publishing companies Empty
PostSubject: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 9:33 am

Luckily, most cities don't require authors working at home to have a business license, though occasionally we hear horror stories about this.

My city, like most, does require consultants, editors and others with home-based businesses to have a business license even if they seldon, if ever, have clients in their homes; my wife and I have one for certain aspects of our work. (This doesn't include what I earn from standard freelance writing or from my books because I submit work under my name and not our company name.)

Have those of you who have started publishing companies that you run out of your houses--with no bricks and mortar storefront--been required to get businesses licenses?

My concern here: if I start a publishing company ostesibly to publish my own books, then the business license requirement would (in most cities) require not only a yearly fee, but a percentage of the income to be sent to the muncipality. This could mean that profits that are not taxed at the city level now (an author's royalties from another publisher) would become taxable via the business license under my own publishing company.

How are you guys handling this? (Or are you staying under the radar?) Do the fees involved cut into your profit so that you're actually earning less than you would with a mainstream publishing contract?

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:37 am

Most of the small publishers I know have examined the situation and elected to form an LLC for protection and to be kosher.
I am not expert on this by any means, being a lifelong "under the radar" lurker... but I'll tell you who is.

This guy is a major authority on the subject and sells pdf "kits" that tell you everything you need to know about forming LLC entities in every state of the USA. You can evalutate rom his site:

http://www.stephenlnelson.com/default.htm
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Cool info, Lin. Thanks!

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:41 pm

Great link, thank you lin!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 10:01 am

Tell Steve he owes me :-)
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 10:16 am

My publisher is an LLC (E-Book Time, LLC). I'm not sure what the actual percentage is, but a great many small and POD publishers I've seen are LLCs.
Back to top Go down
Marie Pa

PostSubject: legal question   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:44 am

Malcolm, cities may not require a business license or permit, but I know that many states do.

Check with their tax or revenue departments.

Marie
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 11:40 am

I got a Wisconsin seller's permit when my first book came out and have paid sales tax on anything I sold personally within the state. This has not amounted to great sums of money and the last couple of years was so small I didn't have to pay at all.

We have a good accountant that keeps me up on these things.

A concern I have had is that "Golden Footprints Press" is my publisher on my book with Lulu. It is my own publisher which I will probably not pursue further. Only my email is listed on Lulu and my snail mail address is listed no where on the public area of Lulu, but I have gotten a couple of mailings from printers and designers to "Golden Footprints Press" at my address. Certainly my name is not difficult to find an address for, but I can't believe they would bother with that extra step.

The mental health center I owned was originally a partnership. At the time in 1985 we did not need to fill out any forms. Later we changed this to an LLC and also had an educational subsidiary that was a nonprofit. We got a seller's permit for our mini bookstore and selling self published books, so I knew that was a good idea when my books came out.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legal question for those forming publishing companies   Legal question for those forming publishing companies Empty

Back to top Go down

Legal question for those forming publishing companies
Page 1 of 1