Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Question about self publishing

Go down 
+7
flashgordon
Malcolm
P. Gordon Kennedy
Karina Kantas
Shelagh
George Maciver
Pam
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Question about self publishing Empty
PostSubject: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 pm

So I am seriously toying with the idea of self-publishing some more stuff (non-fiction side of me) as well as another novel. For those of us who self published, did you pay for a service (like I did with iUniverse) that arranged your ISBN number and Barcoding, or look after it yourself? I am wondering what is the most effective (cost wise) but also considering the amount of time that is involved in that. I know that purchasing several ISBNs is more cost effective than getting them one at a time but buying a shwack of them and then getting picked up by a publisher, while nice, could be a poor use of my moola...

Any thoughts Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
George Maciver
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Non Fiction is a heck of a lot easier to place with publishers than fiction. If I had a non fiction book I think I'd be doing the rounds of publishers first and then considering self publishing having exhausted the possibilities.

I paid to have my book published with Xlibris. I wanted a top quality book available in hardback and paperback, with all the other extraneous stuff like ISBN's and Amazon taken care of, and that's what I got!

I've plans for a non fiction book. Once my current novel is out of the way I'll be starting work on it.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 am

Hi Pam,

I will be starting a thread soon comparing PublishAmerica with Lulu based on my experience with both. It should help anyone seeking to have their first book published and wondering about self-publishing. It may also be useful for anyone who has already paid to be published.

~Shelagh
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 am

Lulu is free.

The only thing you need to pay for is an ISBN and that's only if you want to sell your book on Amazon and Bookstores. To sell only from Lulu's website is free. You don't need to buy an ISBN for that.

I have two books published and distrubuted by Lulu. A third will be released late this summer. I get regular royalty payments and live help from support when I need it.

I highly rate Lulu.
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 am

This is helpful feedback folks, thank you. I do agree George that publishers will be more open to the non fiction side, although still a challenge I think. I would want to go after the ISBN registration to facilitate being listed in printed books listings, and I think for mass exposure the bigger sellers insist on it (Amazon or B&N in the US, Indigo in Canada) but I was thinking of it in terms of receiving payment for books, so it's great to see you are receiving royalties and support from Lulu Karina.
Has anyone purchased their own numbers directly and had success (or challenge) with that?
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 6:21 pm

I self-published Of Orbs and Lords through E-Booktime, LLC. Being an unknown first-time author of a work of fiction, self-publishing was pritty much my only choice. study I hear that major publishers reject 98-99% of manuscript submissions (very bad odds). Sad I don't have experience with any publisher other than E-booktime, LLC but I did find the company's service to be satisfactory. They'll publish a book in paperback format for $395 and for $125 they'll take care of registering the copyright and for $50 they'll obtain an LCCN# for your book. I'm just glad to have published my book. cheers
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 11:19 am

Hi,

I went through iUniverse with a novel in 2004. One thing to check is whether the service you choose takes care of distribution through Ingram and Baker & Taylor as well as Amazon, B&N, and other online sites.

I'm not sure all of the POD places guarantee all of these, though iUniverse did.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Hi,

I went through iUniverse with a novel in 2004. One thing to check is whether the service you choose takes care of distribution through Ingram and Baker & Taylor as well as Amazon, B&N, and other online sites.

I'm not sure all of the POD places guarantee all of these, though iUniverse did.

Malcolm

E-Booktime, LLC. will place your book on amazon, B&N, Borders, and several other online sites. They also offer all the books they publish on their website www.e-booktime.com and put your book in the Ingram catalog. All this is included in the basic publication price. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Good to hear you had good results from them Gordon. I checked E-booktime and they seem to have a lot n their site...including some older ones which perhaps were expired copyrights? Interesting.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 12:41 pm

Pam wrote:
Good to hear you had good results from them Gordon. I checked E-booktime and they seem to have a lot n their site...including some older ones which perhaps were expired copyrights? Interesting.

The books would have to be very, very old to have expired copyrights. Copyright is good for the life of the author +70 years, according to the current law. I havn't checked out all the books they publish, so i'm not sure if they print titles in the public domain or not.

P.S. next time you check E-Booktime's site, be sure to check out Of Orbs and Lords, it's in the fantasy section of their store. Wink
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 8:20 am

If you are seriously considering self-publishing, I would recommend going through Lightning Source. You have to have your own ISBNs and become a "publishing" company, but you get to set your own price, your own discount, whether your books are returnable or not, book size, hardback or paper, etc. They get you into Ingram and Baker & Taylor, as well as all of the usual online sites. This is the best option because you get to keep all the profits, you don't have to pay a subsidy press to publish your book, and you get full control. I use them and have been very pleased.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 11:32 am

That's helpful Flash - thanks. Will dive a bit deeper into that and check it out.
Had a look at your book Gordon - it's a genre that my daughter enjoys so will keep it in mind for Christmas!
Back to top Go down
blackrosewriting
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
blackrosewriting

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 4:32 am

I, personally (all smiles), would recommend giving Black Rose Writing a look... www.blackrosewriting.com

We are a new publishing company and need great writers to join us in building something from the ground up, with much one-on-one feedback and help and a personal relationship with our writers rather that just another client.

Note: I used PAmerica once, and if I had to publish my first book over knowing everything I know now, I would have self-published in that instance.

Find somewhere to publish that you trust, that you have a good response time/relationship with, and that is as hungry as yourself. If after some manuscript shopping and rejections, you don't land that ideal situation, then self-publish (Or come to Black Rose Writing Smile . Your book doesn't do any good on your computer with no one else able to read it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackrosewriting.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 9:13 am

I'd like comments, corrections, additions and whatever to this chart showing the "spectrum" of publishing options.

Thanks

http://linrobinson.com/pubchart.htm
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
al

PostSubject: ISBN numbers   Question about self publishing EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 3:21 pm

Quote :
Has anyone purchased their own numbers directly and had success (or challenge) with that?

Each country only has one place to purchase ISBN numbers. In the U.S., the minimum purchase is for 10 at $25 each. Lots of 100 get down to $10 each.

For Canada, the government controls the process and provides them for free as part of the library process. Have a look at: (oh crap, this forum won't allow links. Let's see what we can manage). Just the "http://" bit plus
palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/2000/05/msg00092.html
More info: "www. " books.bc.ca/isbn.php (put it back together and try it).

Self-publishing is pretty much the death knell for most writers. If you self-publish your chances of getting published by, say, Random House is almost nil. There aren't many Chicken Soup for the Soul books out there. Of course, if you just have to publish and aren't willing to go the extra mile to get really good at writing (or it's a limited edition thing, say for a family genealogy), go for it.

The next step up are the POD (publish on demand) printers that will take a chance on you if you meet their fairly low standards. The royalties are just as low as the big boys (8 - 15%) and like self-publishing you have to do your own promotion. Your book still won't show up on the shelves of your local supermarket unless you get them to put them there yourself. And forget Barnes & Noble et al. And the big boys will still turn up their noses at you.

There's a new way to get published coming up if you're really good, but can't quite crack the mainstream market. I may contract my next book with them when they get going. The royalties are much better, but B&N is still out. However, the market is worldwide. Some big names are starting to try it with impressive results.

I can't say more than that now, 'cause I'm sworn to secrecy by the outfit that's setting it up. I think they may start hunting for good authors in a month or two.
Back to top Go down
ibookdb
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
ibookdb

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:02 pm

As a non-author, I have only read one self published book and that was A Woman from Cairo by Val Landi and that book had a fantastic quality cover, a superb website and a lot of word of mouth praise all over the web. So if you are considering self publishing look for info on that
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 5:12 pm

I have to disagree with Al. As a publisher I purchased one (1) ISBN number in the U.S.A. from the U.S. ISBN Agency, R R Bowker, the exclusive US source of publisher prefixes and accompanying ranges of ISBN numbers for eligible publishers. Evidently it is a new thing. I went with Lightning Source for the printer and they provided the barcode as part of the setup fee.

Also, Al said:
Quote :
"Self-publishing is pretty much the death knell for most writers. If you self-publish your chances of getting published by, say, Random House is almost nil. There aren't many Chicken Soup for the Soul books out there. Of course, if you just have to publish and aren't willing to go the extra mile to get really good at writing (or it's a limited edition thing, say for a family genealogy), go for it."

I again disagree. We go the extra mile. We learn what we need to learn to get our own book and the books of others out there. I also know many authors who have self-published and were picked up by a "big name traditional house." However, those very traditional houses are not what they are cracked up to be now-a-days. Times are a changin'. Perhaps more research or actual experience is needed before opinions are expressed.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 5:20 pm

I agree sometimes self-publishers don't have expertise in all fields. Neither do the traditional publishing houses. The difference between the two is the amount of money each has to spend to get a book out. TPH (Traditional Publishing Houses) hire people who have expertise in different fields. SPH (Self-Publishing Houses) need to hire people of expertise. They don't usually have the money, however. So areas of publishing suffer. That doesn't mean they are any less professional or serious about what they are doing. Or their books are of any less quality.

Also, with a TPH an author doesn't have as much control over their book as they want or should have. I am glad I started a publishing company! It has given me insight into things that I can pass along to others to look for when they are selecting a publishing house whether traditional or self. I know now the things that I would 'insist' upon if I ever worked with a traditional publisher. That in itself is worth all the work as a new publishing company and new author.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about self publishing   Question about self publishing Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about self publishing
Page 1 of 1