Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The genre you read vs. genre you write

Go down 
+4
JoElle
Shelagh
alj
melLkinder
8 posters
AuthorMessage
melLkinder
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
melLkinder

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2011-09-09

The genre you read vs. genre you write Empty
PostSubject: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Is the genre you read typically the same as the genre you write?

I write Science Fiction but enjoy reading Horror and Mystery as well.

I was just curious about our fellow authors on this board Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.melaniekinder.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I grew up reading westerns, as well as seeing them at the movies and on TV. I never thought at the time that I might be writing one some day. I've always loved historical fiction. It is still my favorite genre, and the one I always thought I would write. There are some romance writers whose work I've followed for a time. I liked Danielle Steele's early work, for example.

One genre that I never read that much was science fiction/fantasy, although, there have been some notable exceptions, which may explain why I sometimes find myself writing them, first with And Adam was a Gardener, and now the Redstone Trilogy, which has elements of all of the above. I guess you might call it a historical romantic western fantasy. Laughing

I don't think in terms of genres as much as favorite authors, which include, as far as fiction goes, Charles Frazier, Sharon Kay Penman, and Gwen Bristow. Much of their work would be called historical, I suppose.

And I devoured Robert Ludlum's earlier work, but it seemed to fizzle after a while. I think that's the problem with writing within one genre. After a while, they all begin to sound alike.

Mostly, I like reading and writing stories that are character-driven, whatever the genre.

Ann

Last edited by alj on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:43 am

I'll read anything. Even the WIP on this board!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:05 am

Good thread!

Yes and no.

I read about things I can't write because I enjoy learning. Right now I am reading about Tai Chi and Reiki because I am learning Tai Chi and want to learn Reiki. I am also reading about Celtic tradition. I read mostly non-fiction such as nutrition, holistic remedies, botany, geography, pyschic predictions, and mythology.

When I do read fiction I mostly enjoy something 'light' like romance. Although, I really like to read classic stuff too.

I've written non-fiction articles for newspapers and magazines and they are usually on health or community interests. My novels are fantasy and romance.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am

I enjoy historical fiction novels. I also like mystery novels that include romance.

I write both fiction and non-fiction, however I prefer non-fiction.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm trying to write one book in each of the genres that interest me. I read them all. I am actually choking down one erotic romance novel now because the author gave a lot of help with my query letter. So I got her book. I really don't like it.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I prefer to read non-fiction. I like true crime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 3:16 pm

I read anything. I am reading The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett.

The old writers took time with words.

I suppose it is a sign of our time that there is no time for reading with relish those long descrptions. Yet, I love that stuff. I do not want stuff left out. I want to see it in my mind's eye just as the author meant me to do.

I suppose my genre is children's animal stories.

The Little Prince, Watership Down, Wind In The Willows, Dr. Seuss, Beatrix Potter, Mother Goose. . . I consider that people who write children's genre have a gossemer thread, a special connection to being a child that has never been severed by the seriousness life to write as they do. I love it all.

I love the elves and I believe in them. Joelle is a beautiful storyteller.

I have put little mail boxes by the elven homes that are here on the farm for the joy of the children who still have the heart to believe in the magic of elves.

I read a lot of mystery. I await Al's book.

Alice's book, Living By The Swamp, is beautiful. Her stories make you remember and feel good. I love that.

But, mostly I read whatever comes out of the bookshelf at me when I look for a book to read. I always read in bed. Never anywhere else. That is because of eyesight. I can put the book up to my nose and read it with my myoptic eyes.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The genre you read vs. genre you write   The genre you read vs. genre you write Empty

Back to top Go down

The genre you read vs. genre you write
Page 1 of 1