Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Your choice of a US State to live

Go down 
+3
alice
alj
Abe F. March
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 3:33 am

Abe, you chose Virginia as the state you would prefer to live in, saying,"I love the mountains and the many horse farms. It is also a friendly place."

Virginia is one of the at least 75% of states which still have a death penalty, and ranks second to Texas in the number of executions since 1976. When the population of the two states is included in the data, they rank about even.

Texas has hills and mountains and horse farms. It, too, is a friendly place.

Conservatives in Texas outnumber progressives, still, by a small margin. Much of that is due to the fact that a lot of it is still rural. In the cities, progressives outnumber conservatives, just as the statistics across the country show. Virginia, like Texas, still has a strong rural population.

Conservatives across the country still tend to favor the death penalty, as progressives tend not to favor it.

"Does it have something to do with the old west, i.e., throwing a rope over the tree branch and hanging the suspected law breaker with quick justice?"

No.

Ann

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 6:21 am

Ann, thanks for the update about Virginia. I was not aware of their death penalty record. I don't agree with your comparison with scenery and horse farms between Virginia and Texas. I've been to Texas. I did my USAF basic training there. I remember the heat and the flat country. I also visited my brother who lived in Texas and had a small ranch. My experience in both places formed my impressions. They may be faulty, however they are mine. Where I would choose to live and why is a personal choice. I found that driving through Texas was much different than driving through Virgina.
Another difference of opinion is with the State of New York. I lived in upstate NY and worked in Manhattan. I would never consider living in NYC, however people who are born there can't conceive of living anywhere else. I think we all have personal preferences about people, places and things. I think it is great that there is such diversity in where or how we choose to live. DK described Oregon and made it appealing. Someone who likes city life would be unhappy in the country. I enjoy an international atmosphere that offers diversity in language, customs and scenery. Many of my acquaintances would not enjoy it nor would they wish to adapt.

If I lived in Texas and had you as a neighbor, I'm confident that I would be made to feel welcome and find much in the area to enjoy. I think you will agree that impressions form opinions. My opinions are strictly my own.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:45 am

Yes, it's true. We all form our own opinions based on our personal experiences which give us our perceptions and mis-perceptions.

One of the reasons there are sometimes mis-perceptions about Texas has to do with its size, which is about twice that of Germany, for instance, and closer to six times the size of Virginia. It has five very distinct and different geographical regions. Tthe article below says four, but it combines two of them, Mountains and Basins into one. We still retain the right to split into five states, based on those regions, should we choose.

Because of its size and population, it is an extremely diverse place, with an even more cultural groups than physical regions, you can find whatever you like, or whatever you want to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Texas

Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 200px-Caddo_Lake-_CypressCoastal Plains in the southeast including my home town or Orange as well as the city of Houston
Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 400px-Caprock_EscarpmentNorth Central Plains, which include Dallas and Ft. Worth
Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 200px-Texas_Hill_Country_Near_I-10%2C_2004Great Plains, including the LLano Estacado and the Hill Country, San Antonio and Austin
Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 125px-El_Capitan_base_2005-03-12The dry and arid mountains and deserts of far west Texas with cities like Lubbock - or
Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 Chimney_park_sunset the tropical lushness of the Roi Grande Valley with cities like Brownsville and Harlingen.

It's a difficult place to label.

Where were you stationed, BTW?

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:52 am

Since all of the states are short of money`they ought to do away with the dealth penalty. Think of the money they would save.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:08 am

When I said New York, I specifically referred to two small New York State communities, Middletown and Bloomingburg. I also said they were in the Hudson River Valley, which isn't quite accurate, as they are a bit southwest of that area, in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, not far from Pennsylvania.Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 256px-Middletown%2C_NY%2C_skyline(Middletown)
Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 300px-Downtown_Bloomingburg%2C_NY(Bloomingburg)

Ann
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 9:36 am

I'm not too happy with Georgia, these days.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 10:05 am

Most anti-death penalty folks aren't. I am not happy either.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 am

Ann, I was stationed at Lackland AFB near San Antonio. My first liberty was to the town of San Antonio. I visited the Alamo.
I had friends in Austin and visited that town on leave where I met a young lady named June. She may have become June March, but I had too much more living to do.

Years later on business, I visited Houston and Dallas. I preferred Dallas over Houston, but neither city appealed to me, most likely because I am not a city person. When I think of Houston or San Antonio, I feel heat and humidity. My training was during July and I had never experienced such heat. Some of my comrads had heat strokes. One trainiee died from the heat. Afterward the TI's were forbidden to do training in the sun when the temperature rose above 95 degrees. Those are not pleasant memories.

The death penalty is archaic. Georgia put a man to death this past week who still proclaimed his innocence and where witnesses had recanted their previous testimony of guilt. Very sad.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:31 pm

95? That was a cool July, Abe. This past one waivered between 102 and 108. As a native, I usually find the heat and humidity uncomfortable, but not unbearable, maybe because our winters are relatively mild. Still, I think my second favorite place that I mentioned has mild summers, but extremely cold winters. It would be a trade-off if I were to move there. Every place, I think has good and bad. It's just about accepting one's choices.

I've been to Lackland. It's name fits: lack land. It sits on a plateau which you may remember is called the Balcones Escarpment, which separates the coastal plain from the hill country just to the north. I suppose its flatness makes it a good place for landing airplanes. I visited the base in the early 1960's while I was dating a young man who was graduating from OCS. I remember having a blast at the ceremonies and parties.

Of course the death penalty is archaic. but it doesn't define Texas or the people who live here. and as I've pointed out, the seemingly high numbers are about the same per capita as the other states that still use the practice.

It's just me, but I was offended by your references to my home as "the death state" when it is only one of an outdated majority. That is not what this place is about.

Your reference to the old west, i.e., throwing a rope over the tree branch and hanging the suspected law breaker with quick justice" seemed especially prejudiced and uncalled for, especially from someone I consider a friend.

We ought to be able to disagree without sounding spiteful, and my perception of that remark was just that.

Besides, you started this thread asking about our favorite states, not about the death penalty. I have voiced my disapproval of that practice many times over. You ought to know my feelings on that subject.

I'm feeling a great deal of hostility coming from an old friend, and I don't know where it is coming from or why. Somehow, I think it is about more than where one lives or the laws of that place.

I hope I am wrong.

Ann

Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Nothing wrong with Texas that a new governor wouldn't fix. I just hope he isn't replaced because he found a better job.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I hear that! But my local friends and family have been considering that we shouldn't work too hard at stopping the attempt, because it's highly unlikely that he would succeed in the end. The fallacy with that thinking is that we also said it about twelve, and again about eight, years ago.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I live in a Western State and don't approve of the death penalty.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 1:28 am

Ann.
I apologize for offending you. It was not intentional. My comments were my honest opinion about how I felt about a State – not a person.
I don’t like Florida either. That doesn’t mean I don’t like some of the people living there. I have three brothers in Florida. Two of the three live there because they like it. The other I believe lives there because it is his wife’s home state. We don’t agree on religious philosophy nor do we agree on politics and that has caused strife. I don’t think they would enjoy living where I choose to live for various reasons.
Being politically correct is not always honest. Is it more important to say what people want to hear or to be honest? That’s a tough choice. At my age, I choose to say what I honestly feel. I think we become protective of our choices and are offended when others don’t like what we like. We want reassurance that our choices are good. In marriage there is compromise if it is to work and that includes trying to like what the spouse likes. It does not always work. Being honest does not guarantee goodwill.

Voicing no opinion may avoid the risk of offending. Subjects about politics and religion are known to cause dissention. Perhaps personal preferences should be included.

As stated previously, my opinions and personal preferences are my own. I try to be honest in what I say. How my comments are perceived is out of my control unless it is a matter of communication, and in that case, the fault is mine. I have obviously failed to communicate and for that I apologize.

Should I avoid starting a thread that may be controversial? Should I limit my remarks to safe subjects? Should I keep my opinions to myself?

Writers will often ask for an honest critique of their work. Do they really want an honest opinion or are they seeking reassurance? If they don’t get a positive review, many are offended. We make choices every day. We live with the choices we make. To do or not to do is our choice. I have made good and bad choices in my life and I continue to make blunders. Being honest carries risks. I think that being true to oneself is more important.

Ann, I hold you in high esteem, and that is the truth. I like your writing and think you are an asset to this forum. If all Texans were like you, my opinion about the state may be a bit different, however I don’t think my opinion about the heat and my perceived desolation of the countryside would change. I had a visit to the eye doctor on Friday. I need a new prescription. Perhaps I’m not seeing things clearly.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 am

Sometimes we read information and opinion through our own blinders and see "intent" where none is intended. A good example is when someone has a special affection for a college athletic team. People who have never had any association with that college suddenly become irate if the slightest negative comment is made, as if the comment were directed at them personally.

Another example is children. A parent can complain about their children's choices but let another person suggest the choices were less than admirable and a firestorm can erupt.

Many states in this great nation have things in their pasts and present for which they cannot be proud. We can find them in every state and historically, it pays to remember so that they are not repeated. In the present, it pays to be aware so they can be eradicated.

From my perspective, I think Governor Perry has no place in national politics. I don't think he is particularly bright - at least he doesn't appear so. However, two things for which he is criticized I find courageous in the current prejudicial environment of this nation: 1) the Texas Dream Act; and 2) his belief that "boots" are what belong on the border, not electrified fences.

I also credit him for defending the Texas Dream Act. Children who have attended Texas schools from birth to young adulthood even though their parents were migrant workers now have the same opportunity to pay for college in Texas at the same rates as other Texas youth. Otherwise, they are expected to pay out of state rates in every state in the nation. It is not a "discount." It is not granting them more than U.S. citizens. They have not more financial opportunity than any other youth in Texas who went through that school system. Most states provide a lesser tuition in their state colleges and universities for local students and charge students from other states out of state tuition.

Florida has many faults and reasons I would choose not to live here. I do not take it personally when people say they actually "hate" Florida. Many days I would choose to live elsewhere - but don't know where - and can't afford to move if I did.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:01 am

Florida could do with a new governor, too.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:17 am

Honest Abe!

What don't you like about Florida other than your pig-headed brothers? You need to live in Phiiladelplhia, the city of brotherly love.

Now this is my honest opinion so don't let it offend you.

I had my eyes checked and they are still the same after 7 years. Aw Phooey I want new eyeware. I just might get some anyway. lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 am

Alice,
I'm not fond of Philadelphia. About the only thing I like about it is that it has much to do with our American history. Like many cities, a good place to visit, but not to live.

I doubt that there is anyone on this forum that would share my likes and dislikes about a place to live. Isn't it great that there is such a wide range of diversity and choices? I think there's something for everyone. Deciding what one wants is the biggest problem.

Perhaps the better question would have been. If one was forced to choose a place to live and cost was no object, where would it be? That question presents a range of problems as there are positives and negatives in every scenario. Being forced to make a decision and having to live with that decision makes it tough to decide. That would be followed by remorse. Did I make the right decision? Perhaps another choice would have been better, etc., etc.

Being satisfied with where you are is good, but rare. How fortunate are those who make their own happiness with what they have and where they are.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 am

If I could design my place to live, here it is. It would have a climate that is Mediteranean, with cold but not bone chilling cold winters and a dab of snow but exceedingly comfortable springs and falls with a bit of overly excessive heat in summer. It would be near a clean, natural place to swim - lake, river or ocean. It would have a place to kayak and hike in the natural environment with bits of shade and sunshine. A village or city would be close and a major metropolitan area with an international airport within 50 miles or so - also hospital and medical care. Taxes would be rational and cost of housing rational. I'd like a place that would equate to a summer cottage on a lake, river ocean. I prefer no natural disasters from weather, earthquakes or fire. I'd like neighbors within walking distance but not on top of me.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:27 am

Abe, I accept your apology.

Of course, we ought to be able to say what we think here. I doubt that many of us are those who worry about being "politically correct." It isn't often a problem for you and me, because we agree more often than we do not.

I appreciate your support with my latest writing project. There have been many times when your encouragement has kept me going.

Your approach to the comments we were making did seem personal; I have to be honest; they still do.

but I can accept your statements that you did not intend them to be so, and let it go. This place and our friendship are both more important.

It seemed important to me that I should tell you how it felt.

Remember William Blake?

"I got angry with my friend
I told my friend
My wrath did end.

I got angry with my foe.
I told it not.
My wrath did grow."

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:43 am

PERFECT! WE ARE ALL HONEST!

Oh what a relief it is.

Who does Al want foir governor of Florida?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 am

DK wants anyone but the guy who bought his office and so far has done nothing about putting Florida to work except a path of destruction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your choice of a US State to live   Your choice of a US State to live - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your choice of a US State to live
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2