Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich

Go down 
+3
dkchristi
LC
alj
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Brainwashed? I think all of us need to have our brains washed so we can start thinking from a clean slate.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 4:45 am

tabula rasa - the hope of the spiritual gurus who meditate. Maybe....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 9:04 am

I am not brainwashed! I think for myself.

Talking heads wear me out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Quote :
Please explain to me why billionaires need every penny of their hard-earned money to create jobs, but President Obama should be able to create jobs with no money.

Government doesn't create jobs. The private sector creates jobs.

I'm not sure why you're asking me about billionaires vis-a-vis Obama's wish to raise taxes. "Thousandaires" will be more affected.

Social Security is on the verge of insolvency due to all the people receiving entitlements. I think that instead of raising taxes, means-testing should be applied to those entitlements. For instance, I don't understand why you collect disability. Your husband makes enough to support you. Why aren't you required to forfeit your Social Security disability? So what if you've contributed; as DK as often said on these boards, means-testing should be applied to Social Security. I'd vote to eliminate your disability payments before raising taxes. You don't need those checks.

http://news.yahoo.com/social-security-disability-verge-insolvency-090119318.html
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Quote :
Now I completely understand LC. She's been brainwashed by Murdoch and his thugs.

Why do you think Bloomberg news is more factual?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:31 pm

Thank you, Your kindness is overwhelming. Why should I lose my disabilty benefits before folks like Warren Buffet pay more taxes?

I need my check more than he needs

his excess bilions.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Warren Buffett ISN'T going to pay more taxes, what don't you get about that, Alice? Did you read my earlier post on the subject? Warren Buffett "earns" $100k/year. His excess billions are locked up in tax-free foundations he controls and in low-taxed capital gains, which he doesn't say a word about raising. Warren wants ME to pay more taxes so he can continue to give to the (left-wing) charities of his choice.

Why should I pay more taxes so you can receive disability checks? Why can't you just live on your husband's income?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 pm

I read your response and am in shock. I will not respond.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:43 pm

In shock about what?

That I don't want to pay higher taxes to fund government payments to people of means?

That Warren Buffett earns $100k/year?

That Obama's tax plan starts at $200K/yr earners?

That Social Security is on the verge of insolvency?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

My husband is retired. We get money he saved--why should the fact that we were frugal--had one car for years, affect our eligibility for SS benefits?

We could have spent every penny, as most did. I am even willing to pay a higher tax, what is your problem?

We do already pay more for Medicare

Why are you so hostile?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Quote :
My husband is retired. We get money he saved--why should the fact that we were frugal--had one car for years, affect our eligibility for SS benefits?

Don't ask me, ask Obama! He's the one who thinks anyone who has money should pay higher taxes! Ask DK, she's the one who has posted repeatedly that SS should be means-tested.

Quote :
We could have spent every penny, as most did. I am even willing to pay a higher tax, what is your problem?

So, because you're willing to pay higher taxes, I should be, too? Well, I disagree. Great if you want to pay higher taxes. I don't. I want spending to be cut. Disability payments to people of means is an obvious cut; why is it any different from cutting regular SS payments to retirees of means?

And why do you say I'm hostile? I am simply challenging your positions with my own.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Your higher Income tax would not fund my disability.

I already paid for it.

Don't confuse taxes.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Quote :
Your higher Income tax would not fund my disability.

I already paid for it.

No you didn't. You paid some of it. You will take out far more in SS payments than you ever paid in. Besides, what you put in is gone. It went to pay other entitlements. There is no trust fund. Social Security is paid with current income. And yes, my higher income taxes would fund it.

SS is insolvent. Cuts need to be made. The most logical place to cut is from people of means. You and Warren want to cut "the rich's" income tax. DK wants to cut SS retirement to wealthy people. I think everyone will have to end up sharing the sacrifice. I'd like to see the capital gains tax raised from its ridiculously low 15% to 50%. Boy, would we hear Warren howl then. But he can afford to cut his billions in capital gains more than I can afford to cut my income via higher income taxes.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Quote :

BTW, you said your husband is retired, so what higher tax are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 pm

8/22/2011

This is what I think of this whole stupidity !

Sleep

Cheers....Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm

I want the rich to pay the same percent of tax that I do on everything. I want the banks to cough up some of the money they were presented with to bail out from being too damned greedy and too big to fail. I want the Tea Bag party to tell the truth at least once. I want the NEWS to be impartial and report without slant.

I want a lot. Alice is not wrong. She is one person of means who does not consider that the rest of the world should bow at her feet because she has and suck it up because they do not.

The air must be rarified for all those who have gotten their wealth by using the labor of others. I imagine it must be hard to breathe up there in the OO zone.

Not everyone got there by the shuffle of paper, but many did.

I believe, LC, that you have worked very hard for what you have and deserve it all. Other people work just as hard and get nothing. They deserve better.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you, Betty I misspoke.

Because we worked steadily and saved steadily we were able to defer tax on our income.

We would have fallen in the rich people's tax category and would have gladly paid tax at a higher rate.

I still would prefer to pay more tax than have people's benefits cut.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

LC,

I do not comprehend you. We are talking about a tax rate difference of 4% here. You want me to forego my disability check so you can save $800.00!

Unbelievable! The time is over when we would have had to pay at a higher rate. Can I have my check now?

Thank heavens we no longer qualify for the higher rate.

I am thankful I am not rich.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Quote :
I still would prefer to pay more tax than have people's benefits cut.

Ok, but that's YOUR preference. Mine is not to pay more taxes to support needless benefits (like disability to people of means). And it's all word parsing, anyhow. Whether one pays by giving up benefits or giving up income via taxes, one is still out of pocket.

You say you "would have" gladly paid more taxes if this or that. You didn't though, so it's moot, and you're not volunteering to pay more now. You want everyone to pay a little extra, all on your terms. My terms are that I want needless benefits cut first before anyone comes after more of my income.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 pm

8/23/2011

" BORING !!!!!"

tongue

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Quote :
I do not comprehend you. We are talking about a tax rate difference of
4% here. You want me to forego my disability check so you can save
$800.00

Here's something else, Alice. You are not considering disproportionate effects. You position $800 as if it's nothing for me to "save." I bet I can use that $800 more than you can use your disability check. I am putting kids through college. Your kids are grown, your money is spent on travel and your grandkids. I prefer you forego that in your zeal to help Obama rather than me forego $800.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:56 am

I don't argue anyone's priorities for how they spend their income. Some people economize in one area to spend in another. Some people don't need to be thrifty as they have sufficient income to meet all their wants and needs. The strange thing about money is that it is never enough for anyone, from the least to the wealthiest.

The trick in a nation is to have a failsafe system that spreads the cost of government in a way that everyone participates. My position has always been that from those that have benefited the most from the bounty of this great land much is expected in return. This is one of the most volunteering countries in the world; many people are generous with their time and wealth, giving back to the country that provided them the opportunity to gain their wealth.

The great thing about this country is the many choices we have. However, the country has grown; the wars and economic shifts have taken their toll; yet, we try to operate on revenues less that before these expenses. That's not a logical way to run a business.

While it's difficult for those who live in comfort to identify with the needs of those less able to meet their needs and wants, the economic woes will reach everyone eventually. Whether it's a fire without sufficient fire service or water power, whether it's a crime situation without sufficient police; whether its a pandemic without sufficient vaccine or the people to administer that vaccine; whether it's the lack of jobs for our children and the desperation that creates.

Therefore, even the wealthiest of us can see that our government needs additional revenue now to make a difference in the future of the nation. It has to come from somewhere. Those who are taxed the least compared to their benefit from this nation need to step up to the plate and into a xystem that better distributes the cost of government. However, I also promote the taxing of all organizations without exception: churches, schools, non-profits, charity organizations, etc. who should include taxes as a line item in their budget.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 am

Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 950944
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am

DK,

Thank you for your rational response. I agree with you.

LC,

You are entitled to your view and I mine.

Somehow Dave and I managed to put our kids through college and pay higher taxes as well. We did not have the benefit of the Bush era tax cuts. Clinton raised taxes and the country had a surplus. It did not occur to us to deny anyone disability either.

If my disability check were you greatest problem, you'd be very fortunate. I wish you well in getting your kids through college and hope they find good jobs when they get out.

I also hope you never need disability--working is far more lucrative and enjoyable. If you should need it, I hope you get it easier than I did.

This has gotten entirely too personal and I am through.

Ann,

Thank you for a great topic.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 am

He isn't alone, apparently:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/let-us-pay-more-tax-20110824-1jabr.html

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich   Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Warren Buffett says: Stop Coddling the Super-rich
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next