Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !

Go down 
+2
LC
joefrank
6 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! Empty
PostSubject: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 am

8/11/2011

Is this how our country is turning " The Grapes Of Wrath 2011 - Americans living in
Tent Cities because of job loss !' It breaks my heart to see this knowing Congress
and the rest of the politicians don't give a dam ! Read on..

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/2011/08/08/tent-city-lakewood-new-jersey/#slide=1

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm

I looked at the pictures. In a way, this is very impressive. They're off the grid, yet self-sustaining with a big garden, chickens, and self-made housing. They look like a community that is under duress, yet working together. What a difference from a public welfare housing project.

I'm not saying they want to live this way or that it's desirable. I'm just amazed at the difference from communities that are impoverished, dirty and dangerous while completely supported by government (fuel oil assistance, housing assistance, food assistance, etc.).

Sort of reminds me of Appalachian towns I've driven through. Poor, but half-barrels of flowers all over, gardens, and an attempt to maintain what they have.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 pm

8/11/2011

It's very sad to see how this country is sliding down
hill faster than we can blink our eyes ! It's not the
America I grew up in, the politicians have no shame,
I read yesterday someone said on one news article
when Congress doesn't work, they don't get paid !
Can you imagine the money we would save ?

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 6:53 pm

LC,

There is a reason they are on gov't assistance. They are not well or motivated--maybe even disabled. If you can't get out of bed, how will you fix your yard etc?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Everyone on govt assistance is unwell or disabled?

And being unmotivated is a reason to get it?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 pm

I am not falling into your trap again. Look for and find some empathy. Thanks.

What if you had different circumstances?
What if your folks had not educated you?
What if after your kids were born your husband had been killed?

Would you go on gov't assistance?
Just very curious.

Last edited by alice on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I was a young boy during the last five years of the Great Depression. It was hard, but the people were different than those of today. People helped each other. they shared. They were a different people. The world you remember joe, was a world of adults from that Great Depression. Those people are gone. It's your generation joe, that has to take the country through the hard time. Do what that past generation did. Roll your sleves up, pull yourself up by your boot straps, smile, and lead the younger generation from fear, to hope.
FDR said, "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself." I was privileged to hear him say that live of the radio.
If he was here today, he would say, "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself."
You may have to work a week for ten bucks, you may have to hop a frieght train with thousands of other guys, and cross half the country to get a few days work to feed the kids.
You might even have to put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of your shoe to plug the hole.
You want to fix things? Stop being afraid of the future. Don't wast your time complaining about those in DC, or the rich...go out and share what you have with those who have nothing. It's not going to get fixed waiting for the rich, or those in DC...It's the Joe's, and the Jane's of America who have to fix things...or they won't get fixed. This country is not the big brother government, it's the people...once the people stop being afraid, and stop waiting for the government to fix things...then we just might get out of this mess...it only takes a few people to stop the fear. When the fear is driven out, things start getting done.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:51 pm

8/12/2011

Domenic..

The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! 973110

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Quote :
What if you had different circumstances?
What if your folks had not educated you?
What if after your kids were born your husband had been killed?

Is everyone on government aid there because they had no educational opportunities or their husbands were killed?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Answer the question, instead of asking one-- Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 pm

During the depression Joe, the government gave work to artist like yourself. They painted murals in Federal, and State buildings. They knew things would come back someday, and they wanted those who came after to know what their fathers, and mothers did. Their paintings were themed on what that generation was doing at the time. Hope to see your work on today’s times.
Depressions aren’t that bad…brings people back to basics. It’s nothing to fear. If you get real hungry, just plop a small round stone in your mouth, and suck on it...it helps take the hunger away.( for a short time anyway.)
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:21 am

Quote :
Answer the question, instead of asking one-- Thanks!

Too rhetorical for me, sorry. What if, what if. What if monkeys flew out of my butt? I would deal with it or maybe I wouldn't. Maybe I'd have found different opportunities, maybe not.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 am

Thank you!

Expected non answer.

...and you might have wished for some aid and I hope you'd have gotten it.

Now your question: Of course not--there are some who abuse the system. Don't paint them all with one brush, though.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 am

It's a non answer to go with your non questions. No one, at least I didn't, said that a person who needs aid shouldn't get it, or that everyone on aid is abusing it. You keep repeating and repeating and repeating that meme, though, claiming that I said it. I guess you think the more you repeat it, the truer it is.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 am

My deepest apologies.

Obviously a missunderstanding!

Maybe i am wrong--wouldn't be the first time. I will take a poll.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
During the depression Joe, the government gave work to artist like yourself. They painted murals in Federal, and State buildings. They knew things would come back someday, and they wanted those who came after to know what their fathers, and mothers did. Their paintings were themed on what that generation was doing at the time. Hope to see your work on today’s times.
Depressions aren’t that bad…brings people back to basics. It’s nothing to fear. If you get real hungry, just plop a small round stone in your mouth, and suck on it...it helps take the hunger away.( for a short time anyway.)

Dear Domenic,

The round stone. I remember that.

I am reminded of the story of Stone Soup. My family was not social. They hid and did nothing to feed their many children, but the moral of the story was not lost on me. Smile

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 5:46 pm

The cool thing about stone soup, Betty, was that it took in the whole community. Everybody brought a little bit of something to add to the soup, so by the time it was done, It was a genuine, nutritious food source.

Do you remember the film, Starman? Jeff Bridges played an alien who came to study us. Near the end of the film, the character said that what he liked most about humans was that they were at their best when things were at their worst.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:30 am

Maybe we now have a golden opportunity to improve. Hope we all seize it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !   The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans ! Empty

Back to top Go down

The Grapes of Wrath 2011 - Tent cities-jobless Americans !
Page 1 of 1