Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  Empty
PostSubject: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 am

8/3/2011

Job recovery ? I don't think so, here is an announcement of the new
job losses , what is your opinion ? Mine : It sucks, 53,200 people will
be out of work and in the new session in congress their talking about
cutting un-employment , no more extensions, that would be part of the
new budget along with Food Stamps... Read on....

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/03/news/economy/jobs_challenger_adp/index.htm

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 am

Reading the comments, the people seem to think that corporate America knows what's right. It gets us back to Show and Tell.
All the speculation doesn't mean much. In a down market, it is a good time to buy. In a down economy, there are opportunities.
Seems like people play the "Follow the Leader" game, yet no one wants to take the lead and it becomes "Follow the Follower". I suppose that if one jumps off a cliff, the rest will follow. Time for Leadership. Time to take risks and that is part of leadership. Playing it safe doesn't work.

When times are good, the best people (employees) are not available. Right now, there are many qualified people available for hire. What a fantastic opportunity for an employer.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:51 am

Remember that the republican governors came into office and immediately began laying off government employees, freezing positions and closing down government services. Government activity also generates private sector activity.

The private sector has been watching the antics in Washington, D.C. and hesitant to make any moves other than creating more productivity in fewer workers. Jobs continue to grow in foreign countries - for U.S. Corporations. Ever get a tech assist on the phone where the person lives in the U.S.? Not likely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:55 am

8/3/2011

Job out sourcing has got to stop !
There should be a law against it !
I doubt Congress would do this...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 am

No, the object of Congress is to keep their cushy job. That requires major monetary contributions from the nation's largest corporations who need to make profits to make those contributions to be able to continue making profit - and global operations make for the biggest profits so they can work all the loopholes of the nations in which they operate.

I am appalled that the Congress went on five weeks break to campaign in their home districts with FAA people laid off and construction projects on hold in this economy. No business would allow their employees to go on leave on such conditions other than leave without pay.

But we will forget. We will join with those politicians who reflect our bias, prejudice, religious fanaticism, and self-interest. That's the way the system works. We will forget that a majority of male lawyers do not a body of ethics create; we will forget that diversity is the strength of this nation; we will forget that women go to Congress to get things done while men go for power; and we will forget that a Congressional Career isolates our representatives from whom they are supposed to represent - while they have life in a bubble, the rest of us are scrubbing along.

When our governing body is not there as a career; when the election campaigns have a fixed amount of funding that is rational; when television paid campaign commercials are forbidden and only an equal amount per candidate of PSA (required by the FCC) exposure is allowed;when all news shows are required to state up front who their CEO's support and that the news is slanted in that direction to make money for the station - maybe some things will change.

When respect for the Office of President is once more prevalent across the land; then government might start making sense to me again. During the Nixon administration,a friend send me a squeeze toy that was highly disrespectful of President Nixon. No matter how I felt about him, I trashed the toy. I didn't think such disrespect for the Office of President was appropriate.

Respect for Office is a principle that runs many directions. Respect for elders, respect for teachers, respect for the law, respect for parents - it's all missing in this society. That respect needs to be found at the home and family level and radiate into the community and into the government. It's not likely.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 am

Diane. Good post.
Respect is an important factor. Respect starts in the home and school. Calling teachers or elders by their first names instead of Mr. or Mrs. shows no respect. The use of Uncle or Aunt preceding their first name shows respect.
I will not permit a kid to call me by my first name. The same is true for a used car salesman. "To you sir, my name is Mr. March."
I am not a Tom, Dick or Harry. I have a name, and if they want my business, they will treat me with respect.

Our President is President Obama. Respect for the office is important.
Even when I got a note from President Carter signed, "Jimmy" I wouldn't think of responding, Dear Jimmy. Dear Mr. President is proper.

If someone has a title, use it. They may say, call me John. Giving or getting permission to be on a first name basis is significant. Unless I get permission from any stranger, I will not use his/her first name. If I don't know the name, it is preferenced by Sir, Mr. Mrs. Miss, Madam or Mam as may fit the occasion.

The above is my personal opinion and belief.

My friends call me Abe. I don't want my enemies to call me.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 pm

I say again that we have a respect issue in this country. I think a lot of it has to do with two parents working and afraid to discipline their children Two parents are working in this country to have the lifestyle that was available to one parent working ten years ago.

Another is education. Instead of putting the best research together and set teaching and learning situations that apply across the land, each state is left to allow legislators to consistently change the rules, the pay, the tests, the classroom size, the organization of the schools, the funding sources with different criteria, - the list goes on.

Education is a readily available budget to mess with. It comes from property taxes for the most part. Every legislator considers himself (since most are males) an expert.

Certain facts are research based:

All students learn various subjects at different paces; one approach does not fit all.

Theme based education with a work related component provides a real life aspect that makes learning relevant and concrete for students.

Separating boys and girls provides a positive influence on the education of both.

Some teaching requires small groups; other aspects may be done by computer and in large group settings.

Teacher skills are generally innate. A person may choose the profession without the innate desire and learn teaching skills; but they will never arouse the devotion of students like the teacher born to teach. Passion.

Teacher skills do not require advanced degrees. All current pay scales for teachers are totally illogical. Lay teachers, retired business people and service people need to be encouraged to teach.

The newest teachers should not be given the most challenging students. Challenging students should not be grouped together; they are challenging for different reasons.

Technology should be an integral part of education and a required skill of all teachers, no exceptions.

Every family needs to be included in the teaching school. The school building and grounds should be maintained by students and their families; custodians should be for the purpose of security and a adult models for students.

Schools should be small and in neighborhoods so all students may walk or ride bikes to school. School busses are a wasted cost. Urban students should take public transportation. The costs and difficulties with busses should be eliminated.

Students should not sit in classrooms from approximately 12 to 15. Their classroom should be the community and social interaction with guidance. They need to be engaged in physical activity to the limits of their abilities. Education should result from the community experiences and physical activity.

High school should be for specialization with specific workplace training based on student aptitudes and abilities. Career exploration should be a major component, including workplace academies, internships and cooperative training programs.

School should be year round and not break at semesters. Education is continuous, just like the workplace. There should be performance rewards like a workplace. Students need to be educated to plan for vacations that coincide with their family vacations. Teachers need to organize their curricula that provides for inidividual units.

Teacher compensation needs to be tied to the improved, individual student performance. There should be higher rewards for teachers with the most challenging students

Teacher pay should be comparable to the other professionals in the community, doctors, lawyers, nurses, CPA's and hedge fund managers. For teachers that love and seek teaching as their career, upward mobility in teaching needs to be provided. Continuous student achievement needs to provide teacher rewards.

Superintendents are overpaid and there are too many. Teachers need coordinators, not admnistrators. They need leadership, not politicians raising money.

More - but who cares?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 pm

DK said:

Quote :
Certain facts are research based:

All students learn various subjects at different paces; one approach does not fit all.

Theme
based education with a work related component provides a real life
aspect that makes learning relevant and concrete for students.

Separating boys and girls provides a positive influence on the education of both.

Some teaching requires small groups; other aspects may be done by computer and in large group settings.

Teacher
skills are generally innate. A person may choose the profession
without the innate desire and learn teaching skills; but they will never
arouse the devotion of students like the teacher born to teach.
Passion.

Teacher skills do not require advanced degrees. All
current pay scales for teachers are totally illogical. Lay teachers,
retired business people and service people need to be encouraged to
teach.

The newest teachers should not be given the most
challenging students. Challenging students should not be grouped
together; they are challenging for different reasons.

Technology should be an integral part of education and a required skill of all teachers, no exceptions.

Every
family needs to be included in the teaching school. The school
building and grounds should be maintained by students and their
families; custodians should be for the purpose of security and a adult
models for students.

Schools should be small and in neighborhoods
so all students may walk or ride bikes to school. School busses are a
wasted cost. Urban students should take public transportation. The
costs and difficulties with busses should be eliminated.

Students
should not sit in classrooms from approximately 12 to 15. Their
classroom should be the community and social interaction with guidance.
They need to be engaged in physical activity to the limits of their
abilities. Education should result from the community experiences and
physical activity.

High school should be for specialization with
specific workplace training based on student aptitudes and abilities.
Career exploration should be a major component, including workplace
academies, internships and cooperative training programs.

School
should be year round and not break at semesters. Education is
continuous, just like the workplace. There should be performance
rewards like a workplace. Students need to be educated to plan for
vacations that coincide with their family vacations. Teachers need to
organize their curricula that provides for inidividual units.

Teacher
compensation needs to be tied to the improved, individual student
performance. There should be higher rewards for teachers with the most
challenging students

Teacher pay should be comparable to the
other professionals in the community, doctors, lawyers, nurses, CPA's
and hedge fund managers. For teachers that love and seek teaching as
their career, upward mobility in teaching needs to be provided.
Continuous student achievement needs to provide teacher rewards.

Superintendents
are overpaid and there are too many. Teachers need coordinators, not administrators. They need leadership, not politicians raising money.

More - but who cares?

I care.

I spent 22 years in the public school system and another five in a part-time private tutoring capacity.

All three of my children are educators. All of them have spent time in the classroom, and while Dave still does, as a tenured college professor, both my daughters have left the classroom. My oldest, Lynn, is a public middle school administrator. My middle child, younger daughter, Susan was a public school counselor, who since her husband got a new job out of state, works with (well, h**l, I just hit a wrong key and deleted half my post so far. I don't know which is the bigger problem, my arthritis or this laptop keyboard.) ..Works with a foundation that helps young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to get college scholarships. With your background, DK, you would probably recognize the name if I could remember it.

Anyway I agree with much of what DK said in her post. If I don't comment on it, you know I do agree.

A few things:

1. Theme
based education with a work related component [can provide] a real life
aspect that makes learning relevant and concrete for students, but it is not the only solution.

2. Teacher
skills are generally innate. A person may choose the profession
without the innate desire and learn teaching skills; but they will never
arouse the devotion of students like the teacher born to teach.
Passion.

Teacher skills do not require advanced degrees. All
current pay scales for teachers are totally illogical. Lay teachers,
retired business people and service people need to be encouraged to
teach.

I agree somewhat. Colleges and universities can and sometimes do provide excellent programs that can enhance those innate abilities with skill that are relevant to the current systems. My son and daughter-i-law teach in two such programs: Dave in teaching the use of computers in secondary math and science classes, and Lyn in developing solid music education curriculum. I still believe that the best preparation for pubic school educators comes from the better degree plans at the college level, bot undergrad and advanced.

3. Every
family needs to be included in the teaching school. The school
building and grounds should be maintained by students and their
families; custodians should be for the purpose of security and a adult
models for students.

Unfortunately, I have learned from 22 years experience teaching at-risk students that not all parents ought to be involved in their children's education. Too often at that level, the parents are the biggest problem. Attempting to get them involved causes more problems than it solves. There are times when the old in loco parentis policy needs to be reinstated.
4. Students
should not sit in classrooms from approximately 12 to 15. Their
classroom should be the community and social interaction with guidance.
They need to be engaged in physical activity to the limits of their
abilities. Education should result from the community experiences and
physical activity.

I'm not sure I get this one. Personally, I think that classrooms get a bad rep. What about students younger than 12? And how are these studets prepared for the rigors of a classroom that will prepare them for dealing with the world, either in college classrooms or entry-level jobs.

The biggest part of the problem has been the dumbing-down of public school education, which keeps middle and lower class children from being prepared to cope in the better colleges and universities.

5. (a)Teacher compensation needs to be tied to the improved, individual
student performance. (b) There should be higher rewards for teachers with
the most challenging students

(a) can only be considered if (b) is in place.

6. Superintendents
are overpaid and there are too many.
Halleluiah!

Teachers need coordinators, not
administrators.
My oldest daughter is a "dean," which is basically a term for an administrator who coordinates between upper level admins, counselors, and teachers. Sometimes we get hung up on terminology - especially in education.

They need leadership, not politicians raising money.
They need leadership that will protect the funding for education from the politicians who are currently appropriating them in order to cover their losses.

And all of the above ideas need to be implemented in progressive programs that do not reverse themselves by using old programs with new names every four or five years.

(As far as I can tell this program is having another one of its nights where formatting gets screwed, so I'm sending it before i make it worse by trying to fix it.)

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 pm

DK & Ann. What you say makes sense. Experience shows in your posts. Where is the experience when decisions are make about education?
We see that also in government where decisions are made on matters where they have no experience.

Lots of good stuff coming out of our current financial crisis. People becoming aware of problems and the cause. Getting involved is important for change to take place.

Good subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone    Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone  Empty

Back to top Go down

Job recovery ? Here's the job loss 53,200 jobs will be gone
Page 1 of 1