Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Show, don't tell

Go down 
+3
alj
dkchristi
Abe F. March
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm

“Show, don’t Tell” is promoted as the most effective way to write. What about our government? They tell us about trickle-down theories. Have they shown that it works? They tell us that they are working on behalf of all Americans, yet show that they cater to the rich.
When they stop telling and start showing, we can start believing. Their deeds show/reveal the truth.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:36 am

I felt ashamed of this country under the Bush administration. Unfortunately, the republican poison has found its way back. I'm sick of the time wasted on this power play by the republican tea party that has proven money buys power. However, it's hopeless to believe anything better will occur. We are now a country of excess for the wealthy and poverty for those without the same opportunities. The "public" good is no longer a mission of government. Schools are dying on the vine as more money is put in vouchers to support private companies to run schools. In the state of Florida only charter schools will get construction money.

The American dream is no longer here except for the privileged few.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 am

Anyone remember a book called Culture Wars? It was a best-seller when it first came out about 20 years ago. It has been running through my mind, lately, and this morning, after reading this thread, I checked my bookshelves and found it very quickly - a good sign that I need to go through it again.

The main thing I remember from it was that the problem is not really about Republican and Democrat political parties so much as it is between the conservative and progressive cultural perspectives. The full title of the book is Culture Wars: The Struggle to Define America; Making sense of the battles over the family, art, education, law, and politics. A long title, but that last part puts the focus on the causes of the strife, and extends the concepts into the rest of the world.

To solve things today, we need to realize that it is a worldwide situation, and that we need to look beyond our borders and see ourselves as part of that larger world.

I'll be back after I've taken some time off to review.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:15 am

One quick correction: The term I was remembering from the book as "conservative," I see now as I reread, was "orthodox." The words have a similar meaning, but orthodox goes beyond a conservative need to keep things as they are, to save them, in my mind, anyway, and adds a moral imperative: Tradition is valued because it is correct.

Orthodox is definitely a better term for describing the conflict.

Quote :
"...the impulse toward orthodoxy and the impulse toward progressivism...describe in shorthand a particular locus and source of moral truth, the fundamental...moral allegiances of the actors involved...as well as their cultural and political dispositions....I...use the terms orthodox and progressive as formal properties of a belief system or world view.....orthodoxy...is the commitment on the part of adherents to an external, definable, and transcendent authority...a consistent, unchangeable measure of value, purpose, goodness, and identity, both personal and collective....Within cultural progressivism, by contrast, moral authority tends to be defined by...a spirit of rationalism and subjectivism...From this standpoint, truth tends to be viewed as a process, as a reality that is ever-unfolding.
(all italics are part of the original source)

So one side sees their lies as justified, assuming they even see them as lies, and while the current situation in Washington that focuses the conflict on the inability of Republicans and Democrats to compromise, the larger picture, the macrocosm to our political microcosm, indicates that what we are working on are truly worldwide worldviews. The people in other places who are watching are doing so because they get the connection and have an intense interest in the outcome.

At least, that's the way I'm seeing it right now.

Back to rereading.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 am

Ann, yes the world is watching and what they see so far is frightening.
I want to believe that right will win out over evil, but must confess that I have doubts.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Ann, yes the world is watching and what they see so far is frightening.
I want to believe that right will win out over evil, but must confess that I have doubts.

How can we not, Abe. but I also believe that the more we focus on our fear of evil vs. good. the more we see things in a polarized light, and that will just continue the conflict.

Somehow, we need - through meditation, affirmation, or whatever, to focus our attention on reconciliation rather than one side defeating the other.

Tall order, though.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:21 am

Yes, "we" need to meditate and see things though positive perspectives. However, while "we" are promoting a world view of acceptance, tolerance and resource distribution to the many, the global empires are running not only our country but wars, revolutions and governments to the benefit a few elite.

The international elite have no connection to the country of their birth except for their ability to profit from their roots and the appropriate governmental loopholes that allow them to dance in the countries of least resistance. While this is not a new issue, it has become so enmeshed in the political wheels of the U.S. that the government of the people no longer exists.

It is no longer a matter of democrats or republicans. It is the control by an entitled elite who see the world as my "ex" did, "As long as I have all my wants satisfied, I will be able to make you happy." The Lord of the Manor mentality.

I heard many congressional representives speaking over the last few weeks. I heard two storeis: 1) The rich are the source of all that is good for the country; support them and it will "trickle down." and 2) investment in the people of the country will raise up everyone, but it will reduce the excesses of the entitled and privileged class.

However, the ignorant masses have to be brought into the fold because they do vote in elections. Thus, great care has been taken to immerse the public in sound bites and slogans so they don't need to think, just repeat.

As far as I'm concerned, the deed is done. The great experiment in a president of the people failed. In my opinion, he was a just man with a great vision. He was no match for the corporate elite. No match. They knew the bigotry of the nation and used it to beat down the President until even his charisma is not enough to fight back. I'm sure there are people in his own party for whom his mixed race is an anathema.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:49 am

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but at the same time, I don't think a defeatist attitude will help to change things, either.

However, during this local, prolonged, probably-due-to-Global-Warming drought and temps of 103 at midday, I have also come to understand and embrace the Mexican/South Texas concept of siesta, and am about to take mine.

See you guys when things cool off. Literally and figuratively.

Namaste.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 am

Namaste.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Things happen when people get angry - pissed-off. They take action. Whether that action be peaceful as with words, using the vote, or more radical means that may result in the use of arms.
I think that many of us have a limit or boiling point. Trying to supress our anger doesn't make it go away, it is just hidden waiting for release. Getting rid of the anger in small doses is much better.
Exchanging views, as we're doing here, is much better than hiding our frustrations hoping that things will get better or simply go away.

What causes revolutions? What is the breaking point?
I think many are reaching the breaking point in our country. They can't be pushed much farther. Desperation can cause people to react in abnormal ways.
If you have ever been without food, you can understand the driving force of survival. Take away a person's means to survive and you can expect a reaction. That's not negative thinking, just reality.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 12:59 pm

7/26/2011

Their still fighting in Washington, no end in sight !
The clock is ticking and the dollar is free falling !
I read that the phone lines in Washington are jammed
so are their websites, I think people are giving them a
straighten up or resign !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Never say never. The news media is having a hayday with this and won't know what to do if it does resolve.

In the meantime, give your input and figure what will be, will be.
Don't be too quick to move out of this country though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Smoke and mirrors. It's all the same.

Not to sound cynical. I am not.

But this politics game is so old and worn...

That is one of the many reasons I write: to have some power. Any power.

To laugh. To create laughter. To lighten the world the heck up.

I'm going to my room and I'm taking chocolate.

Hold my calls.

Rhett
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Show, don't tell 143616Enjoy, Rhett. I'm re-watching A Good Year. It has a similar effect.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:42 pm

The God's Must be Crazy Part 2 is great also.

I contacted Boehner again--told him to cut his own job and health care, but to solve the budget issue yesterday.

He is illiterate.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:56 pm

7/26/2011

I think all politicians are " STUPID !"
They don't know their rear end from
their elbows, that includes everyone
in Washington, time for all on both sides
to resign and resign as of yesterday !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I don't think President Obama is stupid. I think he is trying to help the down and outers. I think the Republicans are, combined with the religious right, impossible to deal with.

How do you negoitate with people who have signed an oath? They are determined . I don't send hateful emails to my friends accusing the Republicans of heinious crimes.

They do it as their religious duty. Patriotic emails against taxes, against health care, against everything but for war.

They don't want anything to do with government, but woe is the govt if it isn't right there when they want it.

Abe,

When you speak of violence--who are you gonna aim your gun at?

I don't want anyone to try to shoot me. If someone needs help, i would be glad to help them. We would even pay more tax if asked to do so.

By the way, you have a nice house. Do you wish someone to assume you are rich and shoot at you?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Joe, I think they are brilliant. They know how to protect the sources of their income and their jobs. They are doing it very well at the expense of you and me.

I heard a commentator repeat what we have said long ago - take away the salaries of everyone in Washington until they resolve the debt crisis they created and they might bring it to a positive conclusion.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Those who are threatening my ability to make my house payment have no trouble making theirs. Those who are taking away the funding for education and for those without medical care have private schools for their children and the best in medical care for themselves and their families.

I do not believe that emotional responses are the best for any situation. This is a country of laws and political action. The fact that we have given our power to the wealthy was our mistake. Now we will need to use the local, state and national ballot boxes to voice our regrets.

However, in light of the financial resources that are daily reduced by those whose voices need to be heard, I don't see a lot of opportunities for change. When confronted with walls, even the best of us express words that we really do not wish to see implemented. Herein we need to be vigilant that we do not join the very rhetoric of the fanatics on the far right whose religious proclamations are downright scarey to the rights of all of us. Fanatics see themselves as divinely inspired and no logic pierces that wall. That's why electing them to political office is criminal.

Many U.S. citizens live outside the country for many reasons. That does not negate their love of this United States but rather reflects their lifestyle choices. Some of those choices are to serve mankind, to serve the country, to work in international corporations, to study abroad, to experience the world and in many cases, to live somewhere affordable and friendly to seniors. This country is not an affordable place or a friendly place to age.

I have pointed out the advantages of Panama. Mexico once provided a less expensive haven. A single, elderly woman in these United States faces a terrible aging experience. One retirement income from a modest life of hard work and contributions to the U.S. economy does not pay for the necessities of life: shelter, food, clothing and medical care. Two retirement incomes can at least share the housing costs and the care for each other. Men die first. Women die in a cell with a twin bed and an underpaid and overworked nursing aid. These realities are not faced by the wealthy. They don't live in fear that they'll be pushing a grocery cart down the street with all their belongings in it, digging food from dumpsters. It's a reality for many people in this country, the richest country in the world for the top 1% who are controlling the policy in Washington, D.C. Anyone who can find a better existence in another country needs to leave and find dignity where the elderly are respected and a better life is affordable.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:22 pm

7/26/2011

I have to find out the town Abe lives in, my ancestors
are German and came from their in the 1880's, I wonder
if I can live there as an American ? I have to find out
about their currency ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm

I think in order to benefit from Germany's programs for the elderly, one has to work or live (I'm not certain) in that country for five years. It's too late for me. Fortunately, Panama wants retirees from other countries and welcome us with benefits from day one.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:56 pm

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/panama/T12S29LMBRUEJ5I96

Read this before you call the movers.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm

7/26/2011

Alice...

I'm...... affraid

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:08 pm

When I was just a kittle boy, I asked my mother, “what will I be? Will I be handsome? Will I be rich?” Here’s what she said to me…”Casa Ra sa ra, what ever will be will be. The future‘s not ours to see, casa ra sa ra.”

I also asked her, “What will the world be like?” She replied, “Son, learn to smile at hard times.”

Show, don't tell 514350
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks for the article. If you read all of the posts, you will find there are those that are happy with Panama as well as those that are not. I visited there twice. It is a foreign country with a two class society. I mentioned that in my original post. If you live like an American gringo, then it will be an unpleasant experience. Anyone who has not lived in a foreign country would be quite disappointed. It is not the United States. However, I found every person I met to be gracious and welcoming. Three "whores" took me out on the town; they, too, were delightful young women - from Columbia. I won't mention how I met them, only that they were quite clear in their need to marry an American to get them out of Columbia. Many of the prostitutes in Panama are from Columbia and other S. American countries.

Just because a country has different standards of health doesn't mean that a person cannot have one's own standards met. The drinking water in Panama is some of the cleanest in the world - in spite of other polluted waters.

I'm sorry to say that many people in this United States live in squalid conditions even though they have a television and an SUV. Poverty is horrid for any one in any country. A two-class society has visible poverty. We can hide in our gated communities here and pretend we are lily white in cleanliness and living conditions. Well, we ain't. Living in the United States is a horror story for many.

So, if former middle class gringo goes to a South American country, a different lifestyle is required and he may not be up to it. Crime is no worse than in the United States and Americans look like Panamanians unless they parade around like me gringo, you something less. It is always better to do as the Romans when in Rome. If that is not part of a persons character, it's better to live where everything is familiar and comfortable.

I know people who come to live in this United States and find it a cold, unwelcome, lonely place where they are afraid. Life is. I fell in the bathtub once and missed cracking my skull by a miracle. My friend's mother fell on a crack in the sidewalk, broke her hip and was dead in two weeks. Life is uncertain. Live it where it's the most comfortable and satisfying to needs. Those choices are different for everyone.

I have lived in many countries. If our government isn't corrupt, I don't know what corruption is. The representatives sell their soul to get elected or have a little female attention on the side. The news media buys representatives and commits illegal acts to make news. International corporations pay off governments to build their polluting factories, hire cheap child labor and provide horrid working conditions. Maybe our corruption is less visible than a cash payment to a policeman or a customs agent; but corruption is as common in our fine country as anywhere in the world. We just think we are better. You and I may be better, but we live among as many corrupt and evil people as can be found anywhere - and they look and talk just like us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Show, don't tell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show, don't tell   Show, don't tell Empty

Back to top Go down

Show, don't tell
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next