Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Don't be shy....show it all.

Go down 
+12
W. Lane Rogers
alj
dtpollard
Rhymer
JoElle
zadaconnaway
Sue
Dick Stodghill
LC
Carol Troestler
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Don't be shy....show it all. Empty
PostSubject: Don''t be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:48 am

Not many members post work in Work in Progress.
I read many books. It has been my main means of learning to write. As I am reading a book I take it apart. I do an outline of the plot the author used. I graph breathing sections. How the author moves along, and how he/she slows down and lets the reader take a breath before the next rush. I note how the characters come to live over the length of the story. I look for major points the author has hidden within the story. I also mark sections that are weak.

Please post sections of your work. It's not a contest to see how strong, or weak your writing is. It not only helps you, it helps those reading it.
When you post, forgive me if my comments hurt at times. I feel a pat on the back to a new writer does more harm then good.

The Work in Progress section should be the apex of a writers forum.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 11:07 am

There are 54 threads on the WIP board (just less than one per week since the first thread was started on February 14th 2008). The highest number of replies on one thread is 66. Those requiring feedback seem to receive the help they seek.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Domenic,

Those sound like some good things to look for.

I'm thinking of posting something.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm sure my textbook WIP would make thrilling reading for you, lol.

The pub sent my initial chapters to three university profs for review. I recently got them back and have more feedback than I ever wanted.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Domenic - Not everyone works that way. The only person who sees something before I send it out is my wife. She proofreads for missing punctuation marks or a sentence she doesn't understand. I correct those, go over the story another half dozen times changing or omitting words and then off it goes. The only person whose judgment matters is the editor. I like to have half a dozen stories in circulation at any given time.
If posting incomplete work is beneficial to you, then by all means do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Dick,
I don't have a wife, or an editor. As to making corrections myself, I just make the same darn mistakes. I have a program on vista that prints out what I speak. But, I have been raised on both east and west coast, so to be understood, I would have to be in the mid-west. I can't ThiMk of any other way...are you suggesting I get married?
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Couldn't hurt. *grin* (To get married that is.)
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Sue,
Women need to be married full time. Me I only need to be married part time.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Ahhh Now you are lumping all women into one category. What makes you think some women wouldn't like part-time marriages too?
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Good point, Sue!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyFri May 22, 2009 9:55 pm

I am shy.
I don't post my WIPs on the internet.

I wait until my first draft is finished and then send 2 or 3 copies of it to specific family and/or friends.

These I choose based on their reading habits, honesty, and proofreading abilities.

Although with my series I also asked five nieces to read the first manuscript, since they are my target audience.

Last year, on another forum, I did post a couple of short "romantic" scenes ... simply for fun.

Otherwise, I figure if anyone wants to check out my work ... they would buy my books. And if they want to offer critiques, they could post their reviews on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptySat May 23, 2009 4:45 am

I have offered up something for you to take a look at. I could not post the entire chapter. This site continued to say my post was to large. I posted an excerpt from chapter two of my new book. It is a work in progress and like others here I edit, edit and re-edit. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. It is titled Shadow People
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptySat May 23, 2009 4:51 am

I'm a little different. I like to work in a vacuum and clear my mind of distractions. I think better that way and when something is near a stage of coherence, then I bounce it off my wife and one other close family member.

Then I edit, revise and update. When I think it is done, I trust my own judgement. By the way, I feel something is done when adding or changing anything doesn't make a difference.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptySat May 23, 2009 6:20 am

Marie wrote:

Quote :
As for marriage, some of us women are probably
better off unmarried. Some (not all) men have control issues and want
their spouses to do everything their way. That doesn't go over very
well with someone as independent as I am. Eventually, I rebel against
the criticisms and restraints.

I love being in relationships
where responsibilities are divided based on ability and each person is
encouraged to expand their own talents and interests, but those can be
difficult to find.

Ditto

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptySat May 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Sounds good, Marie and Ann. As I have little ability and resist learning new tricks it should work out well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:59 am

dtpollard wrote:
I like to work in a vacuum

Most writers do.

Writing is a solitary endeavor that demands disciplined concentration. It is not a team sport.

Folks who post works in progress do so at their own risk. Praise for pedestrian writing is counterproductive. More often than not, however, criticism is met by bruised egos and open hostility.

Want praise? Show it to someone who loves you. Want constructive criticism? Show it to a wordsmith who doesn't know you and doesn't give a hang about thin skin or ego.

Still, why anyone posts unpolished work is a mystery to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyTue May 26, 2009 1:50 pm

W. Lane Rogers wrote:
dtpollard wrote:

Most writers do.

Writing is a solitary endeavor that demands disciplined concentration. It is not a team sport.

Folks who post works in progress do so at their own risk. Praise for pedestrian writing is counterproductive. More often than not, however, criticism is met by bruised egos and open hostility.

Want praise? Show it to someone who loves you. Want constructive criticism? Show it to a wordsmith who doesn't know you and doesn't give a hang about thin skin or ego.

I am an expert in this area. Let me solve the mystery for you.

It is because we are stupid...we think it's polished, and we need help in that area. If it were not for people like you, we would remain stupid.

Lane, you should swim every day. Over time the water will round out the roughness of your personality. People will come to know what a great guy is beneath that skin of granite. You will be like the stone one finds in a high mountain stream.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:22 pm

W. Lane Rogers wrote:
dtpollard wrote:

Most writers do.

I wouldn't call where I work a vaccum.

I just call it my own little world. But it is full of all sorts of wonderful things.

I very much agree it is NOT a team sport. Well, except maybe in the cases of co-writers. But I can't imagine co-writing. I am the solitary type.

As I mentioned before, I don't post my work.

However, the people I share it with are honest. Though they love me, they know they can tell me the truth about my work ... and they do. My sister (and nieces) have no problem telling me "I hate that!" or "that is just dumb". My brother and mother are spelling and grammar police. My manuscripts come back from my few trusted family and friends marked up pretty well. I consider their honesty very valuable. (Of course they also included some praises and they are also honest about what they LIKE.)
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:32 pm

My daughter is a technical writer at the university, but she always wants lots of emotion and personal experiences in the nonfiction I write. She is a good critic, and corrects the grammatical errors as well as putting in creativity.

I also pay her. She is a professional at this.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyWed May 27, 2009 9:36 am

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Lane, you should swim every day. Over time the water will round out the roughness of your personality.

Or water log my brian.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyWed May 27, 2009 9:52 am

See, there, Marie. Just the mention of all that water did me in.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:05 am

LMAO...Ah, you are human after all! Lets go for a swim.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:25 am

A shattered image over a lone typo. What a crushing blow.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:38 am

Sometimes a typo brings a bit of reality. It happens to all of us.

Something that happened yesterday gave me some delight.
I have a promotion going on my book and had sent books out for review. With this one exception, all the reviews (so far) have been very good. I received an email yesterday from this one reviewer providing the website of her review post. She says in her review that she had noted several grammatical/typo errors in the book, was not pleased with the build up of the characters, etc. In her description of the book she wrote the word "Gaghdad," instead of "Baghdad." I sent her a nice note pointing that out.
My book was professionally edited and I haven't seen any typos, but I suppose when someone is looking to find fault, they will find something. It felt good to point out the error in her post.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:39 am

W. Lane Rogers wrote:
A shattered image over a lone typo. What a crushing blow.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't be shy....show it all.   Don't be shy....show it all. Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't be shy....show it all.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next