Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The fruits of the ebook revolution?

Go down 
+6
Abe F. March
Betty Fasig
dkchristi
Al Stevens
LC
Shelagh
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

The fruits of the ebook revolution? Empty
PostSubject: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:07 am

Simon & Schuster has admitted that profits on e-books are higher than the original estimates:

http://www.bradsreader.com/2011/05/publisher-credits-low-production-costs-to-high-ebook-profitability/?rss_cid=5251
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:17 am

I'm glad they're profitable. Maybe it really isn't The End Of The Road for publishers.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:20 am

Of course it isn't. It might take a while, but when the tide shifts, they will shift with it. They just have to figure a way to maintain market share,and they'll try different things until it works.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:32 am

On a tangent, the other day I did a search for humor books on Amazon. The first page of hits was self-published stuff. I don't want to see that. Online retailers are going to have to figure out a way to filter this out, just as Google changes its algorithm to weed out junk sites that get high hits.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:21 pm

When I was mining the wealth of agents and publishers on line, I looked at the kinds of books each of them would and would not consider. Most would not represent or publish humor books. You'd almost have to self-publish.

Imagine the anguish involved reading a slush pile full of unsolicited humor books. Even people who are funny in social situations find it difficult to write funny narrative. Comedy writing and humorous prose are the hardest kinds of writing there are.

(This is my 1000th post on this forum. I need a life.)
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Congrats! Shelagh needs to bring out the symbols and the brass band. I have a very demanding life; posting here is a healthy diversion (most times!).
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
(This is my 1000th post on this forum. I need a life.)
The fruits of the ebook revolution? 354181 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 607436 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 986243 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 931984 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 499995

The fruits of the ebook revolution? 46482 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 46482 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 46482 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 46482 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 46482
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Dear Al,
Life is moments that add up to minutes. The time I spend writing here is almost trancendental. Moments that my mind floats out of daily routine and cares and off into connections with other minds that I would not have a slight chance of connecting to here in this wilderland that I live. I look upon this message board as a spark of intelligent human life in the vastness of internet space.

Happy to know you. Five stars are hardly ever bad.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Congratulations Al. When I reached that point I tried not to think about the time spent on the forum, but the benefits of doing so. Betty and Diane express my feelings about benefits.

As writers, we sometimes want a break from work and would like someone to talk to, just to bounce things around. We have such a place.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:39 am

Well done Al that's another star on your lapel. Your in Hilton territory now.
My 1000th went by covertly I never noticed it until one day when it was too late to party, so cheers cheers cheers The fruits of the ebook revolution? 354181 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 986243 The fruits of the ebook revolution? 499995 Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:47 am

"...people still want to read, but it's difficult to know who to trust here, because the self published doesn't actually mean that it is bad, any more than officially published means that it is good either..." mentioned the goblin, continuing "...no, I feel that things are going to go in the way of youtube does with music now, in that one follows the link from the "what are you listening to" thread to some unknown artist, so word of mouth from forums is going to be big I feel...", where, to add fuel to everyone's opinion of "that goblin's off his rocker" here, his bet was that the publishers will go big onto writing forums soon, but perhaps keeping a low profile of themselves just making it look genuinely like posters where promoting their books

The fruits of the ebook revolution? Steptoe4601-460x250
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:05 pm

I prefer 'real' books to e-books. However, I am glad for e-books.

I belong to a (non-writer) Yahoo group and one of the members wanted to check out my novels. She downloaded the first two and then couldn't stop reading them. Within two days she had downloaded the last two. And then she posted to the group how much she enjoyed them.

Of course I would have made more from the royalties from the hardcover or paperback books, but I am simply happy that SHE was able to enjoy the story right away and not have to wait for two shipments of books instead.

And the nice review was a pleasant bonus.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Congratulations, Al. You add oodles to the magic of this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The fruits of the ebook revolution?   The fruits of the ebook revolution? Empty

Back to top Go down

The fruits of the ebook revolution?
Page 1 of 1