Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! Empty
PostSubject: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 2:55 pm

9/13/2010

A friend of mine's husband bought a wooden box
of peaches home, his wife ate two and went into
" Anaphylactic Shock," He took her to the hospital
and found out he only had ten minutes before she
died ! She went into Anaphylactic shock because of
the pesticides they use on fruit and vegetables, I was
shocked because I never heard of it. I asked a nurse in
the hospital and she said it's happening more and more
and you can die from it, it cuts off your breathing, so
I like to know what the hell is safe to eat ? Here's an
article that will open your eyes...

Cheers..Joe

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8315670&page=1

Last edited by joefrank on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Joe,

Downright Freaky!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:10 pm

9/13/2010

Alice..

You just don't know what to eat anymore ! I don't
think washing the fruits & vegetables will get rid of the
pesticides....Grow your own !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:25 pm

What timing! See the blog I just posted today entitled "pesticides." One of the worst fruits for pesticides is peaches because it sticks so well to their skins.

Our produce is pretty - but it's deadly. I just attended a session this week on pesticide poisoning in the agriculture industry and it was like watching a horror movie; the pictures of agricultural workers were horrid: sores on their bodies; babies born without limbs; and statistics about cancer and other pesticide induced diseases.

People need to join together and protest this poisoning of our food supply for the benefit of profit and inexpensive food. We need to pay more for food to have a safe food suppy now and in the future. We need to have a new paradigm where the food may be less pretty in favor of more nutritious and less poisonous.

You are lucky. You know the source of the poison. Most people just think they have the flu or a rash or an allergy from some other source. Of course, knowing the source doesn't ease the pain of your friend and those in his life.

The expert at my meeting said to buy organic, buy near home, know the source and farming methods where your food is grown and wash everything with soapy water as soon as it comes in the door, wearing rubber gloves - not even into the refrigerator or setting on the cupboard. If soap sounds too harsh, pick up a produce wash from a health food store.

The worst chemicals, the ones banned from the U.S., are still manufactured here and shipped to South America where it returns on the food at our grocery store.

It's not only the food we eat, but the poor agricultural workers who have a death sentence by their employment. They work in the earth that has been poisoned to plant the food, are sprayed from overhead by pesticide planes and sprayed in the fields by pesticide and chemical infused watering sprinklers. They, themselves, apply the chemicals, blown back on them. They are among the leaves and products soaked in the poisons. Poor and unrepresented, they have little recourse for their deplorable conditions; in the South American Countries, they have no recourse at all. The residue infects generations of agricultural workers.

There's so much more to the story. I am sorry for your friend's terrifying experience. I hope you can take that experience and somehow use it to help change this situation. Each person's voice is critical.

Unfortunately, profit is God. It doesn't matter if the product kills. That's someone else's problem. As a nation, we use poisonous chemicals in excess. Just look in kitchens, bathrooms and garages, even my own.

In Florida, the Caloosahatchee River, a main thoroughfare, is dying from chemical run off from the sugar cane fields - poisoned. People still eat the fish, but they should not. Only ignorant children swim in the river anymore. Often the beach where the river pours into the sea is closed because of the poisoned condition, even in the Gulf.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:26 pm

A lot of what we think are food allergies are due to the additives rather than the food itself. Shrimp, for instance, is often preserved with nitrates, which can cause anaphylactic reactions, and emergency rooms and doctors have told patients it was the shrimp. My father and brother both had sever reactions after eating shrimp, that were probably due to nitrates instead.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:39 pm

9/13/2010

Just like the egg thing this past week, so I only buy eggs
from local farmers here in NM...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 pm

9/13/2010

DK..

I can't find the blog you did on pesticides ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Most people never give what they put in their mouth a second thought. If they did, fast food would not exist.

I grow most of the vegetables that we eat. I know what is on them. Even organic has pesticides. They do not want you to think that, but the truth is there are pesticides that are allowed on organic stuff. Not just soap. The difference is that the pesticide has less residual life.
Most pesticides have a safe day to harvest time. The pesticides that the homeowner/gardener can buy from Home Depot are a much diluted version than the commercial farmer uses. Without pesticides, the vegetables that you buy will not be so pristine. We all know how picky we are. If there is a spot on it, it is not good enough for our fancy table! We no longer soak the broccoli in salt water to remove those tiny worms. But, without pesticides, those worms would be there looking at you. No we expect some magic to have warded those little worms off....

It really is a war between the farmer and the insects. In America we are inspected. I have no idea what inspections are done in Brazil.

Buy American.

Love,
Betty

Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Betty, I read a magazine article long ago that basically said what you just did. It said that everyone claims they want organic foods, but NO ONE will buy "irregular" looking fruit (small, weird shape, off-color, etc.). Which is what true pesticide-free food would look like.

And we're always told how "the poor can't eat fruits and vegetables because they're so expensive." I've always wondered what they're being compared to, to be considered expensive. But if we don't use pesticides, what will they cost then?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Joe, I posted it here on the blogs thread and the title is, "pesticides."

Betty, you are fortunate to grow your own. However, I could do the same - my next door neighbor had a major garden between my fence and his garage, enough vegetables for us both. Like you say, he probably used pesticides, but more limited in quantity (the vegetables were beautiful!)

I have a grapefruit tree that has had no anything but rain and whatever the earth provides for the ten years I've been in this house. The fruit is less pink each year but still sumptuous. I still have to scrub the skins, though, because they get a dark coating just from the atmosphere.

My orange tree is mostly Spanish moss with a few green sprigs with a few little oranges. Some years though, the oranges have matching worms in the fruit. We were juicing them one year before we found the worms...a little extra protein in our juice.

I don't put any chemicals on my lawn either. But then I wonder why I put up with weeds when my neighbors don't; their runoff goes straight into the river at the end of our cul de sac. What difference does my little effort make when the golf courses and estate homes are chemical havens of true green grass and manicured landscaping?

As for the poor; don't worry, they are getting poorer each year in this country; they will continue to be punished for their poverty. I doubt any corporation or government agency believes we need to use chemicals for agriculture to produce prettier and more abundant produce so the poor can afford it. No, their one goal is simple: PROFIT. The only "poor people" in this thread that are relevant are the poor agricultural workers exposed to high concentrations of what the government allows in small quantities for the sake of pretty and profitable produce.

Any produce from South America is suspect regarding pesticide residue that is potentially harmful - until our corporations are stopped from manufacturing and shipping the poisons not allowed on the produce grown here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:57 am

There are cases in the Uk where people that live on property that backs onto farm land get contaminated by the crop spraying.
A fine mist that hangs in the air gets breathed in as folk relax in their gardens and they become very ill a few days later.
Farmers of course deny any danger exists yet they have to wear resperators and stuff while they prepare their concoctions.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:43 am

9/13/2010

David..

It's got to stop, I guess the only way is for people
to grow their own, this year I grew my own tomatoes it's
called " Best Boy Tomatoe," very good, I only used plant food
never had one bug ! Maybe the high altitude ? I wonder if
organic is sprayed too ? Maybe DK can give that answer
before I buy anything ..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:44 am

Aw Phooey--the world is a mess. Too many things to worry about. ..
The terrorists, the preachers, the criminals--now even the food.
It is a bit much.

ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! 798629 ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! 798629 ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! 798629
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 am

Joe ,

Betty said organic has pesticides. See her post above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !   ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES ! Empty

Back to top Go down

ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK ! - PESTICIDES ON FRUITS & VEGETABLES !
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: