Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations

Go down 
+7
P. Gordon Kennedy
awol
Karina Kantas
Dick Stodghill
zadaconnaway
Pam
Shelagh
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations Empty
PostSubject: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 7:25 am

This is the cover. I think it's brilliant! If everyone is happy with the title, then this will be the cover for the anthology:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 8:43 am

w00t!

My comments are on the other (voting) page, but I really like the way this looks too!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 10:30 am

How wonderful! Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 986286 I like it, in case you couldn't tell. Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 704672
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Even I like it so it must be great. Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 710456
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 3:52 pm

That's cool. I love it.

It's eye catching and romantic.

Perfect Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 402987(we have lift off.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
awol
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:04 am

ummm, well, I hate to be the lone dissenting voice here, but the cover is very generic and doesn't stand out from the countless other anthology covers I've seen done in a similar manner.

It gives no indication of what the stories are about, and even the title is a bit ambiguous.

Of all the images listed on the other thread, I liked the sunset couple the best, as it at least conveys the feeling of 'love, romance, and together forever'. And, trust me, I'm NOT a romance novel reader.Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 973110

I don't like the kids on this type of cover; I wouldn't buy a book with this photo on it because it looks like a book for children or about children.

I loved the photo of the trees and doorway, but I also got the impression that the book was about horticulture.

But back to this one: It just doesn't do anything for me. I would, as a reader/buyer, glance at it and continue on.

and I just noticed the Smilies aren't in the sidebar--where's the Smilies?

--Melinda

Ahh, there they are; they showed up in the Preview Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 am

The smilies are on the edit bar above the quick reply box with a pull down menu [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (you may have to click on this [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] at the top right of the box to change editor mode).

I discussed the cover with my husband and he felt the same about the Forever cover. Since I trust his opinion, I sent a message to Aidana and she's going to design a different, more modern cover. She's very busy so it might be some time before she sends a new design.

Thanks for your honest comments -- that was really helpful! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 am

Interesting we're back to cover design after I thought it was all settled and done except for a bit of tweaking on the font or letter placement.

The things that make people pick up a book and look at it are very individual. Consider that people who enjoy a certain genre of books will pick up ANY book that looks remotely like something they'd read. Since the book is an anthology by people who hang out here, it made sense to me that it had books on the cover because that way the stories and poems on the inside could be about a variety of things that fit within the theme but are not necessarily captured in the previous pictures that were voted on. In addition, the marketing was to have been carried out by the authors among their individual network (family and friends) to start with, followed by the power of the internet so it certainly won't be starting out on the stacks of B&N (we can save that for the second edition once it gets picked up by a big house Smile ).

I am disappointed that the cover is back to the drawing board again. That's my two cents worth on the issue, just in case anybody wanted it. Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 733985
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 am

I think that cover photo looks great. Cool title too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
awol
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 4:58 pm

I kinda feel like the outsider Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 642629 butting in, and didn't mean to disparage anyone's opinions or tastes.

Next time, I'll wait until I'm a bit more 'settled in' before sounding off on something that I'm not even involved in.study

Sometimes, I let my opinonated nature get the better of me. Embarassed

--Melinda
Back to top Go down
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 3:55 am

Melinda, although the cover was agreed, Shelagh wanted people's honest opinion and that's what you've given.

You're part of the community and I hope to see one of your wicked stories in the anthology.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 9:22 pm

I haven't contributed to the anthology but I agree with Melinda. The cover is nice, but I think it's dull.

I think you should have a murder/mayhem anthology, like Dick suggested on
another thread. That'll stir some interest. Alfred Hitchcock thought so too, and he did pretty well.

Last edited by Brenda Hill on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
awol
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 9:37 pm

The cover with the books is technically very good; I have great confidence that the new cover will be awesome, judging from the other selections on the thread listing all the various cover designs Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations 710456

--Melinda
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 6:41 am

Melinda,
being honest with your opinions needs no apology. It is about an object - not a person. How it hits you is what Shelagh wanted to know and you did just that.
Although I find the new cover somewhat generic, I do not think it unworthy of consideration. As long as there are ten people with opinions, there will most likely be ten different views. Finding something that suits everyone isn't easy.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 10:13 am

That's for sure, Abe. Just ask a few friends their opinon on wall colors. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
jck200
One Star Member
One Star Member
jck200

Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: cover   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi,

Although covers might seem to be the reason readers pick up a book I think it is curiosity regarding the title and extra information that makes them want to look inside. I have looked at interesting covers but then found from the front and back the subject was not of any interest to me so did not look inside. What is the point in anyone picking up the book if they do not look inside?

The cover here is not cluttered and has sharp contrast and a vivid impact value.

There is fierce competition anyway for any book so the stuff on the inside better be worth reading lol.

I am sure it is.

john
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi John,

You will find the final cover here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Jim Woods
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Jim Woods

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:44 pm

Lulu permits a book back cover to be displayed and even a sampling of the interior, but that could be a cost item. What do you know of that, Shelagh?

Since looking at the back cover for a blurb about the interior, and possibly seeing a bit of the interior even if it's just a T of C, is akin to browsing a book at the brick-and-mortar bookstore and is intended to influence the potential buyer.

So I guess my question is, what sort of rear-cover copy do you have in mind for us, Madame Editor?

Jim Woods
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Jiim,

The rear cover is half done. This is a preview. The text is taken from my book to show the layout:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have to write the back cover blurb. If you want to have a go at it, be my guest!

I have yet to write the introduction and the contents page is under construction. I will also be adding a page with the web addresses of all the contributors.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Cool start Shelagh! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 am

I think just a a few lines about two of the stories and poems. Just to give the potential reader an idea of what they will be getting.

I do love the message.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:12 am

Shelagh, you are awesome!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am

Shelagh,
The description under "Austen's novels" sounds like your book, "The Power of Persuasion." Is there a mini version?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 am

I thought you had read enough of my book, Abe. Do you really want more?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:08 am

I am now seeing a different side of you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations   Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthology Cover by Wiiow Raven Illustrations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next