Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?

Go down 
+5
alice
Al Stevens
joefrank
dkchristi
Betty Fasig
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 pm

To me this is an important question. I do not think that they can sit around and discuss death but if in danger of dying, do they know that they are in that state.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I know that birds do. They know that if they show weakness they will be pecked to death, so they stay with the appearance of health until they drop dead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 pm

9/18/2010

Betty..

I do know animals know when a person is missing and
they get very depressed. Next door to me they have a manchester
terrier less than a year old and they had a white poodle 14 years
old , the other dog knew something was wrong with the poodle, he
could hardly walk, since he passed away Duke the terrier has become
very nasty towards Dusty, now I don't know if it's because the other
dog passed away or that terrirers are like that ? I do believe an animal
just like a human senses when the end is near when their ill, I do know
from my experience with having three cats and a dog, when their ill
and they have a look in their eyes asking : " Please Let me go." I know
it sounds nuts but I've seen that look. I have had that experience once
with a human , a good neighbor in NYC who was ill and she said to me
" Please let me go, it'll be alright." I still get choked up over this..

Love Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:32 pm

An age-old question. Is sentience what separates man from the animals? We cannot know, of course. We can only form opinons based on observations of animal behavior. Animals definitely have a survival instinct very much like ours. Fight or flee. Hang on for dear life.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Betty, I know that cats will leave home to die so they must know when death is approaching.

Very sad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Elephants do. they go off to die alone, away from the herd. Why not other animals. We think that we humans are so superior. Our thinking is so limited. Even plants have consciousness.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Betty,
I believe they do. I had the same experience as Alice with a cat. They know when they're about to die and find a place to let it happen.

Some time ago I made a post about a cat that could sense when a human was about to die. I don't know if this is something special with cats.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 5:39 am

I have not been to "let me go." I love life. I have made it through pain and discomfort.

I have a friend who says she is "ready to go." She is in great health that I wish I had a tenth of.

I have things to do. (There are way too many "I's" here.)

Animals know. We've had dogs that have grieved when their dog friends have died. It shows in their faces of sadness.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 9:58 am

Carol,

I am glad you love life. Keep on loving and living. You are here for a reason.
Love you so much
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 pm

One last thought. Humans are so funny. I had two mother in laws. One was good, one, not so good.

The one, not so good, talked about dying incessantly. "We could go at anytime she would say."

When she was 89 she decided she would live to 100.
She died at 89.

Shows how much, or little, we know.

Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? 798629 Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? 798629 Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? 798629
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:08 am

Mankind has since the dawn of time corrupted themselves with their own delusions of superiority and self importance.
We have hunted other species to extinction, our crime of that self important attitude.
There are other species on this planet that deserve the right to be respected.
We as a species have a huge lesson yet to learn, which better be soon before we bring about our own destruction.
Our stupidity often exceeds our intelligence.
I was once told that when the first Atomic Bomb was tested no one knew for certain what would happen there was the theory that it would start a chain reaction that would never stop and consume all life on earth.
The only way to be certain was to detonate the bomb. So they decided to be optimistic and go ahead with the test and hope that whatever chain reaction would not be continuous and stop.
Insanity?
Sorry for my rant there . Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? Icon_mad
So I am more willing to believe that all animal life have the potential to be self aware and contemplate in their own way their lives.Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? Icon_cat
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:09 am

So that's my 10 cents. Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? Icon_porc
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:39 am

It's worth much more than ten cents.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 6:34 am

Keep ranting, David. Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? 950944

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:26 am

David ,

I love your rants. Do them on TV--maybe you will get rich fast.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 8:11 am

David,
they continue to test Weapons of Mass Destruction with little regard for the Mass destruction it can cause. Just to possess the worst weapons gives them a sense of superiority. It has much to do with human nature:
*My car or house is bigger and better than yours.
*My PC is faster than yours.
*My bike has more speed gears than yours.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 9:24 am

Abe F. March wrote:
David,
they continue to test Weapons of Mass Destruction with little regard for the Mass destruction it can cause. Just to possess the worst weapons gives them a sense of superiority. It has much to do with human nature:
*My car or house is bigger and better than yours.
*My PC is faster than yours.
*My bike has more speed gears than yours.

Abe, why?

I think it was either Eric Berne, Games People Play, or Thomas Harris, I'm OK. You're OK, where I first read that it all goes back to, "My dad can beat up your dad," and to power that comes temporarily from an illusion of security. I know that transactional analysis is out of date, but I wonder if it should be.

There was another book, written by one of the two above, called What do You Say after You Say, "Hello." which said that it was very hard for anyone to say a straightforward, adult-to-adult "Hello," without having any agenda or control game going on.

It all comes down to a basic fear, insecurity because underneath it all we get that there is nothing we can do to protect ourselves from bad stuff happening, and, rather than accept that, we have to get these momentary feelings of being better than by some self-deceptive practice of the illusion of control.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 9:34 am

Fear is the issue. If one has that illusive "faith" that the universe is unfolding as it should and all one's needs (not wants) will be met as part of the natural order of things, then fear isn't an issue. Being "better than" provides a margin of security; at least someone has less.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?   Do you think that animals can contemplate their death? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you think that animals can contemplate their death?
Page 1 of 1