Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Oooooo Another Star!

Go down 
+5
P. Gordon Kennedy
Pam
Shelagh
rainbow689
Sue
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Oooooo Another Star! Empty
PostSubject: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyMon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Does this mean I am getting as prolific as the rest of you?

I also changed my signature. It wouldn't let me add facebook, myspace, or a couple of other links. Too long it said. Three of the links I am still trying to figure out so if anyone else is on the last 3 sites, I could use some help. LOL Also, I want to customize myspace and facebook but have no idea how to do it. I read tutorials and got all confusedededed. *grin*

So how many members are here in the forum now, Shelagh? Shouldn't more than 10 of us be posting?

sunny
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Sue Sunshine wrote:
Does this mean I am getting as prolific as the rest of you?

I
also changed my signature. It wouldn't let me add facebook, myspace, or
a couple of other links. Too long it said. Three of the links I am
still trying to figure out so if anyone else is on the last 3 sites, I
could use some help. LOL Also, I want to customize myspace and facebook
but have no idea how to do it. I read tutorials and got all
confusedededed. *grin*

So how many members are here in the forum now, Shelagh? Shouldn't more than 10 of us be posting?

sunny

Can't help on facebook and my space, sorry and you can't force people
to post maybe it's only the more interesting people who post;)lol!
Back to top Go down
http://fly.to/rainbow689
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyMon May 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Yep, know that. Was hoping if someone who isn't posting reads it, they may be prompted to at least say hi. This is is the way it is in most groups. A core of people who post.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:11 am

Congratulations Sue! It's just four months since the forum was set up and we now have 9 Four Star Members, 8 Three Star Members, 6 Two Star Members and 10 One Star Members.

Two of our most recent members, Dick and JoElle, have added greatly to the forum, joining in discussions and starting new threads.

The good news is that although the number of posts fell in March compared to February, April saw the highest number of posts and, if things continue, May should be even higher.
Well done everyone! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:14 am

Shelagh wrote:
Congratulations Sue! It's just four months since the forum was set up and we now have 9 Four Star Members, 8 Three Star Members, 6 Two Star Members and 10 One Star Members.

Two of our most recent members, Dick and JoElle, have added greatly to the forum, joining in discussions and starting new threads.

The good news is that although the number of posts fell in March compared to February, April saw the highest number of posts and, if things continue, May should be even higher.

Wonderful news told ya this was the best forum this side of the known galaxy!!!!lol!
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:21 am

Hi Sue,

I had a look at the links in your signature, and had a couple of thoughts.

I tend to put just one link in my signature, the one that I want to drive traffic to right now, which is my blog. On my blog page I have a box (well I did until the other day when I removed it--it'll be back soon) called a widget that has all my other links in it. That way my signatures on here are nice and short and I can read through the message lists a little quicker. There is a second widget on my blog (currently in the right hand column, second space) that is currently on my blog and will soon appear on my website and all over the place, which gives people a rolling preview of my blog titles. Shelagh got me started with these things, and dang, are they ever handy! Have a peek at this spot to create your own widget with your blog titles http://www.widgetbox.com.

The widget that you can put all your links in and then post on your blog can be found at http://www.hyplet.com

I checked out all of the links that you included. I really like the clean look and feel of your blog on wordpress (just in case you were looking for votes Smile ). PNN seems like an interesting idea, except that your post is in a narrow column left side and the remainder of the columns are filling. I too have found it tempting to put my posts in a few different places to increase exposure (like from Blogger to MySpace, Yahoo, Forms on Ning, Facebook etc) but I am not sure how helpful it has been as far as people reading it, because I am tracking the stats at Blogger and a couple of other select places.

Oooooo Another Star! 971369 Just try not to get frustrated... lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:59 am

I don't like laying down rules and leave the members here to make suggestions that I will then follow up and recommend to all the members.

It would make the posts easier to read if signatures contained no more than two, possibly three links and no line spaces between links.

The post I made about avatars followed a suggestion by a couple of members. the consensus seems to be that photos are friendlier, and I agree.

Thanks Don Stephens for adding your photo -- we are always pleased to see your smiling face. I hope Lynn is making good progress and giving you the run around!

NoElle, I liked both the photos you posted as avatars and didn't favour one over the other. You have such a lovely face, it would be a shame to hide it.

That's my two cents worth.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi, Pam and Shelagh,

I just did the signature this way for here to get feedback. I know I really need to change it and adapt it to wherever I am placing it. I would like to get a general one for all occasions, though.

I appreciate your input and it was all good. I am copying it and printing it out.

I would like to learn how to change/customize my blogspot.com blog. I really didn't like any they offered but have no idea how to do my own. I believe that and wordpress are my best alternatives as it seems I get no feedback on facebook or myspace. I do get feed back on beliefnet.com (which I didn't add in my links).

I would love any suggestions you have to offer me on my signature, blogs, or website. I am on an iMac and when I go on my Dell they all look different to me. So I can not be a good judge of my own sites.

I had a thought: What about a thread or forum where we can all put our links that we want others to check out or pointing to our books, poems, etc.? That way we can keep our signatures here short and use only what is current. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Sue,

Pam was suggesting that you put ALL the links on your website and add a SINGLE link to your site in your signature.

All the social networking sites are useful to advertise your book and attract visitors to your website. If you add links in your signature to these sites, you eventually want anyone clicking those links to visit your site by clicking on a link you have added to the social network site. It makes more sense to send visitors directly to your site.

Signature --> link --> Sue's blog --> link --> Sue's website

Replace with:

Signature --> link --> Sue's website

Pam prefers to link to her blog because she updates the blog more regularly than the website and there's a number of links to various sites listed on her blog.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Ok, got it now, Shelagh. I printed yours out too. *grin* My memory is like a sieve for this type of thing. So better if I just copy, paste, and print.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Shelagh wrote:

9 four star members plus 8 three star members plus 6 two star members plus 10 one star members. That's only 33 members, yet the thing at the bottom of the home page says the forum has 170 members. Only 33 out of 170 members have 20 or more posts, Oooooo Another Star! 986286 no wonder it seems like there are only a few of us making all the contributions. Oooooo Another Star! 46482
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi Sue,
I know when it came to jazzing up my blog a bit I ran into a few problems because I am a real novice when it comes to HTML, and knowin just a little about it opens all kinds of options. It is easiest for me if someone shows me, and my daughter is our hou. My daughter is our resident genius that way. It took her about 10 minutes to also show me how to take a couple of photos that I purchased from istock, manipulate them with photoshop, and bingo--unique header. So, if there is a teenager near you who has computer access, just ask if they know any HTML. It's amazing what they will come up with in just a couple of hours and for a couple of bucks...even less if they are your kids/grandkids/niece or nephew. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Thanks, Pam. I appreciate the input!

Love your blog, btw.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:53 pm

P. Gordon Kennedy wrote:

9 four star members plus 8 three star members plus 6 two star members plus 10 one star members. That's only 33 members, yet the thing at the bottom of the home page says the forum has 170 members. Only 33 out of 170 members have 20 or more posts, Oooooo Another Star! 986286 no wonder it seems like there are only a few of us making all the contributions. Oooooo Another Star! 46482
...and I have made 992 of the 6076 posts, half of which were made by the top five posters!

... and yet there are 167 book covers in the Gallery. Funny that, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Shelagh wrote:
P. Gordon Kennedy wrote:

...and I have made 992 of the 6076 posts, half of which were made by the top five posters!

... and yet there are 167 book covers in the Gallery. Funny that, isn't it?

I guess some people must just post their cover and mayby a couple of other things and leave. I think a few people come here only to sell books, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:51 am

To me it doesn't matter if others only come here to tell of their books then thats it. As long as I'm not left here to talk to myself as I'd already know the answer to any questions I might have. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:59 am

Well rest assured hairymob that with all the opinions that we have, it's not likely anyone here is going to leave you entirely alone. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:15 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:27 am

P.Gordon wrote: "I guess some people must just post their cover and mayby a couple of other things and leave. I think a few people come here only to sell books, unfortunately."

Any exposure is good, but I think they are missing the boat!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:38 am

Zada & Gordon,
there are givers and takers in this world and they are easy to identify.
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 8:48 am

Indeedy doo. they missed the Love Boat

Oooooo Another Star! Heart_10
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:14 am

I often feel like the 'taker' here, as I gain so much from all of you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 3:09 pm

I was going to say the same thing as Zada, until I read her post. So all I am going to day is: "Ditto what Zada said". *grin*

Well, no, I am going to say more. *grin*

I realized the other day while talking to a friend that I ask more questions than anyone on this forum. Sorry about that. I am hoping to be able to contribute more in other ways here.

Thank you for putting up with me! I really do love you all!
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm

Sue I'm glad you ask questions-- I learn as much from the answers that you get as you do I am sure. Often it is one person brave enough to answer that brings benefit to the entire class.

One of things that I like about the way this forum has evolved is that there are ample opp's for giving and taking...so you give when you can and reap when you need to.

Works pretty good I think. Plus Shelagh rewards us with cute little stars and smilies. bounce
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! EmptyFri May 23, 2008 3:42 pm

zadaconnaway wrote:
P.Gordon wrote: "I guess some people must just post their cover and mayby a couple of other things and leave. I think a few people come here only to sell books, unfortunately."

Any exposure is good, but I think they are missing the boat!

I came here to hang out with fellow writers. Oooooo Another Star! 986243

I would imagine that writers looking for readers would realize that if they are trying to sell their books, they should go to 'reader' study forums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oooooo Another Star!   Oooooo Another Star! Empty

Back to top Go down

Oooooo Another Star!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next