Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Saving your Work

Go down 
+9
Jeffrey J. Mariotte
Pam
Phil Whitley
lin
JoElle
zadaconnaway
Don Stephens
Shelagh
Sue
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 2:59 pm

I am just full of questions today.

When you write something, anything, how do you save it? Or do you? I am referring to blogs, articles online, newspaper articles, or any form other than books.

Thank you!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 3:25 pm

In a word document.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 4:09 pm

Thank you, Shelagh!
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I use word and have it setup to do auto backup every five minutes.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Same here, with the exception of pictures. Those I do a save to my photos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Thank you, Don and Zada!
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:43 pm

I used to write newspaper articles quite often. I was a staff writer for a bilingual newspaper in San Jose CA for awhile.
I've kept copies of each of those newspapers saved in plastic file boxes.
The original computer document is on an old 3 inch Mac floppy stored in a closet somewhere.

During this time I was also a regional editor and writer for a 34 page homeschool newsletter that came out every two months. I have each of those as well. And also the floppy for those.

My first two novels and several short stories and articles that I wrote for a couple of e-zines are saved in a file on my computer and on two CDs and on a flash drive.

The rest of my novels are saved on two different flash drives and on a file folder on my hard drive.

I'm paranoid. I save everything on at least three different files.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Anything really important I upload to my internet account for backup.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:50 pm

Thank you, JoElle. I never thought of putting things into plastic boxes and save them. That is a good idea!
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Hmmmm I don't understand that comment about internet account, lin. Could you perhaps enlighten me? Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:52 pm

I have been collecting the newspapers that heralded my book signings. However, since they mostly said the same thing I have thought I should just quit doing it.

Have any of you saved the newspapers of your book signings or author fairs?
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Good advice on saving files, JoElle (and Lin). Anyone who has evfer had
a PC to crash terminally has learned the hard way. I save all my
documents, especially the books and stories I have written - or are in
the process of writing, on CD's, flashdrives or other external media.

I have even emailed some works to a family member to save for me, just in case.

If you use Yahoo, there is a "briefcase" that you can save files, Word
documents, etc. That makes them accessible to you anywhere you can get
to a computer.

Last edited by Phil Whitley on Sun May 18, 2008 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:21 pm

So that is what the briefcase is all about. I have wondered for years about that. *grin*

I have a mac online account too. I think there is something on that about uploading files. I will have to check into that, too.

Thanks for the info, Phil!
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:48 pm

Sue, you have a website, right?
Which is essentially a bunch of files on a hard drive somewhere.

The same way you upload files to the site host for your pages, you can upload files to store them.

I'd suggest creating a directory called BACKUP or something, perhaps with subdirectories for various topics, etc.

Then you can load your MS versions there to save them. Even if your computer was stolen, you could always access your files on the server and download them.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 12:32 am

Lin, thank you so much for the input. I have a website, in fact a couple of them. I never think to upload files to them for saving. I guess my mind hasn't worked that way before.

I almost lost my book when my dell crashed. I had it on a disc but in a format that didn't work on a mac or that anyone else seemed to have (MS Publisher). That is why I am looking for alternative ways to save it.

Again, Thank you!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 4:32 am

Sue,

You should always make backup copies of your work. The easiest way is to buy a USB Flash Drive:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:18 am

Yes, and they are very handy for transporting stuff from one computer to another.

And would survive a computer crash. But it your computer is stolen, or damaged in a fire of flood or something, the flash drive would go with it.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:34 am

That's not very savvy. The advantage of flash drives is that they don't need to be plugged in permanently. The storage is so great these days, you can update once a week and keep a copy of everything stored on your computer. After updating, remove the flash drive from the computer and keep in your purse or pocket. To be extra sure, have two flash drives, one to keep with you at all times and one stored at home.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:53 am

Yes!
That is exactly why I make several copies!

When I was in school I wrote a psychology paper and lost nearly the entire report when our nephew crashed our computer. I had to rewrite the thing because I failed to save it.

Lesson learned. The hard way.

Since I am always wandering, and I am not really paranoid, just realistic, and know unforseen things can occur .... anyway, I know truck drivers who have had their trucks crash, get broken into, and catch fire ... and I've read of those who have had their trucks stolen.

So, yeah, I keep a flash at home that I update when we take our home time. And I have three flashes I keep on the truck, two are in my computer bag, but one of them stays with me ... just in case.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 9:26 am

I am super paranoid about losing my stuff (which comes from having lost some stuff) and also tend to be very thorough about backing up. I back up my PC and laptop on an external drive (getting cheaper by the minute at places like Costco), but I also rely on paper copies as a just in case--as in just in case the electronics all die, or get nicked--I did get my computer stolen once. Crap. I also like paper in case of a copywrite challenge, because the lawyer was really happy that I had stuff that was printed and dated, although they are smarter now and more capable with electronic copies. I went through that about 4 years ago and I think that I only succeeded in winning the case because I had a very efficient back up, so I think that is the key--just keep backing it up, somewhere, no matter what, and if it's electronic make sure no one else can break into it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Sue, you might want to consider the flash drive option. I have stuff on CDs and on flash as well. The flash drives are so handy and inexpensive, it is silly not to use them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Jeffrey J. Mariotte
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Jeffrey J. Mariotte

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 2:48 pm

When a writer friend had a house fire and lost a huge collection of books, pulp magazines, and other treasures--along with 2/3 of a novel in progress, which existed only on his computer--I went out and bought an 8gb flash drive. Now I back up onto that every day at the end of my working day, and take it with me every time I leave the house. It wouldn't save my books and other possessions, but at least it'll save my works in progress, and all the previously published stuff that's still on my hard drive.

Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks so much for allllll the input!!!! I will check into a flash drive for sure.

I am working on an iMac Tiger. Is anyone else working on a mac? Will a flash drive work with one?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Sure will:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work EmptyMon May 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks, Shelagh. Going to check it out now and then have to get hubby's supper. It is almost 5:30pm here and damp so guess I should have supper on the table for him. At least I got writing done today!!!! Yippeee for me!!!!! Ha ha ha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saving your Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving your Work   Saving your Work Empty

Back to top Go down

Saving your Work
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next