Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published

Go down 
+6
A Ahad
joefrank
KingdomExpansion
LC
Abe F. March
lin
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:01 am

Hey, I did my time for that one. I'm reformed now.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:04 am

I love Marriott time share presentations. I sit through them politely, then scoop up my 10,000 Rewards points. New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 am

That is the sickest thing you've said yet.
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Lin

I agree you can be your own gatekeeper and in non fiction the person proposing a title is often better informed of the market than the commissioning editor. But, what of the bookshop buyer?

I get several hundred emails a year from readers and rely on their comments to inform future editions or new titles. I could market a self published title to them. I haven’t done it because my publisher will pay an advance higher than I can expect to earn from self publishing. The publisher can do this because they get the title in the bookstores.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 2:33 pm

mike bryon wrote:
I get several hundred emails a year from readers and rely on their comments to inform future editions or new titles.

Great way to get feedback, that's pure gold. I get a couple of emails a year, nothing I can put to significant use.

What I do is buy used copies of my text on Half and Amazon. Not pristine desk copies, but rather, copies advertised as used and missing pages. The nastier, the better. This is because I want to see which worksheets are missing, which are always intact, what pages soak up the most highlighter, what pages look never read. I especially like seeing handwriting in the margins and instructor handouts tucked in the pages. All this will inform changes for the second edition (assuming I'm lucky enough for it to merit a second edition; so far, sales are good).
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 4:50 pm

lol!

Last edited by alice on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Look, since everybody around here freaks out at any mention of PA, I'll thank you not to stick it into my threads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3