Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published

Go down 
+6
A Ahad
joefrank
KingdomExpansion
LC
Abe F. March
lin
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published Empty
PostSubject: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 am

Until recently there has been one main model on how a writer’s work gets published, meaning available to readers. It’s a fairly monolithic system in which a writer forms a relationship (and surrenders rights) to an agent, who has relationships with publishers) and hopefully then with publishers, who have relationships with readers.

We are supposed to submit and waits. It can take many, many years even to find an agent, more for them to sell it to a publisher, then up to two years before the books is actually available. And for 99% of writers, the book will never be published. In the meantime, we are supposed to re-edit, write something else, hope. Buy books on how to make this process work for us. Instead of for them.

In recent years new technology, and new ways of reading, have given rise to many new possibilities for us to have our work read immediately. Without waiting, and with little or no expense. At the same time, a new model of the writer/reader relationship has been emerging: a directed relationship based on mutual support. New concepts like The Long Tail, Cory Doctorow’s “Experiment”, and A Thousand True Fans are gaining adherence--and success. The latter is especially enlightening, and is being proven by many independent artists, musicians, and writers: all it takes is a thousand fans who will buy all your mp3’s or ebooks or T-shirts or comics to support you.

But there is an important flipside to having that kind of readership and fanbase: it’s a platform. It’s your invisible “Verizon network” trailing behind you when you go to an agent or publisher.

In other words, building readership isn’t just an alternative to the traditional publishing model--it’s also a lever to pry it open and make it work for you.

Having a readership (which also can mean feedback, emotional support, and even income) is invaluable whether you end up working it yourself or using it to get signed. And you can’t build readership while waiting for a book to appear. The solution of getting work out there right now to start finding readers, gaining experience, promoting your authorial brand, and producing a cash flow is very obvious, once grasped.

And the best solutions have no downside. In this case, unlike waiting and never getting there, writers who never get signed are still getting the benefits of readership: the writer’s true grail. How big a readership you can achieve depends on you, your book, and your readers.

I have written an ebook on how to do this. It lays down that basic concept, then goes into several ways in which you can start getting read right away, and use it to build whatever future your work can sustain. It’s a new umbrella concept that picks up pieces that have been in use, and putting them together into a program aimed at author success. The manual, which is an attractive, click-navigable eighty-five page pdf file, is designed for use onscreen as you work on these forms of publishing yourself, with massive libraries of links to programs, sites, support forums, communities, reviewers, directories, and publishing systems that make this possible. Most are free, only one or two would cost over a hundred dollars. It’s made for you to work with.

Some of the systems by which you can get readership include: webnovels, podcast/audiobooks, e-serials, iPhone apps, ebooks, and print books. This is by no means one more book hyping self-publishing or web-promo. Its main direction and strength is in showing where and how to get your writing up and being read by communities of fans right now. This ebook, which has been bought and acclaimed even before being available for sale, costs only $5 USD.

See more at ADORO BOOKS
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 am

Excellent Lin. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:06 am

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published Icon_neutral

Last edited by LC on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KingdomExpansion
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KingdomExpansion

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

Great post, very informative.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christian-book-marketing.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Step right up, no limit, no salesman will call at your door, a bargain at half the price.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:05 pm

4/8/2010

Lin....

Is this a new way to publish ?
You mean I can publish E Books right
away, no hassle ? Who is this publisher ?
How do you go about this ? What kind of
program would I have to put my books in ?
Can I do a photography book ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:22 pm

This is not a publisher Joe, it's an ebook I wrote on how to incorporate "new media" publishing into building author brand, readership, and chances for signing with publishing companies.

ebooks are one part, or possible avenue, for the approach. as are webnovels, serials, podcasts, etc.

Actually, I think most people on this forum have made their peace with the publishing process and are engaged in building readership.

It's just an announcement of my new book really.

And you didn't even notice.

Sniff.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Well, your name isn't listed anywhere, at least that I could see.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

That's because I've joined Famous Anonymous.

Actually, you just have to look REALLY close.
Unless, of course, you buy it and it's easy to read.

Hint, nudge...

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published Screenshot
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:34 pm

lol. Address the concern I wrote of in my earlier post and I'll consider it.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I guess I would say that if you write books people don't want to read nothing much can help.

And maybe something like... if you get out there with serials and podcasts and ebooks and what all and can't build a readership, you save a lot of time in figuring out the books a dud and moving on to something else.

The big things this book offers that aren't really around is the whole idea of seeing publication by publishing and some ways to work on it
And a comprehensive guide to publishing in these ways.
To anybody interested, hell the links are worth it.

Oh...one more BIG thing. Maybe. Phone app books are a big sexy buzz right now, but nobody can tell you how to get you book out as an app.
Writers Digest is having a webinar on apps by a guy who spent $900 to have some turbans build him one in Calcutta or somewhere.
My book has about four ways you can do this. None over about a hundred bucks. And a sort of "smashwords of apps" nobody seems to realize is there.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:45 pm

A funny thing is, some of the web novel people get really offended at the idea that running a serial online might lead to publication (which is has, for quite a few weblitters). They are like, "We don't need no steenking publisher, we like WEBLIT!"

And, true story, you can do things in a blog novel far beyond what any print book can do. Animated artwork, flying tag cloud navigation, videos, characters telling their story on their facebook pages, etc.

And there's this big happy community of thousands of people who read novels in weekly installments on their RSS feed.

So they really can't lose. If they get published based on their readership, great. If not, they're getting read, maybe making some money.

Which is really the whole concept, in a way.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Ooooo, just got my first download customer. Cool.

I sold about 30 of these at the SCWC conference (and gave them away to everybody who attended my workshop) but those were on CD's and these are just pure file download.

That is just SO cool.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:01 pm

The easiest way to build readership is to become a radio DJ, a journalist or a TV presenter. That way you're instantly known to millions.

That's if you want to become known to *millions*... not everybody does of course! Too much of anything is no good for you! New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 pm

If the past two months on this forum is any indication of the envy and jealousy that comes with fame and fortune, I don't want any of it.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:13 pm

edited out

Last edited by A Ahad on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:15 pm

That good, eh?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Sleep

Last edited by Long gone on Sun May 02, 2010 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Really, Abdul? I would think directing a film would be pretty cool on it's own lights. (So to speak)

GOTTA impress chicks.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 pm

edited out

Last edited by A Ahad on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Chicks look at inner beauty and "the real you." We are not impressed by material goods. New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:17 pm

...Edited out...

Last edited by A Ahad on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Sleep

Last edited by Long gone on Sun May 02, 2010 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:40 pm

I would like to read your book Lin...I think I'll order it.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Another writer eviscerated by Hollywood.
That's a shame, Abul. (Did they let you keep the chicks? And when it comes to Hollywood chicks, my motto is, the less material, the better)

Bless your heart, Domenic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published   New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published Empty

Back to top Go down

New "Dual Track" Route to Being Published
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next