Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Coming Home: Carol's Blog

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Coming Home: Carol's Blog Empty
PostSubject: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm

We returned from the cabin yesterday afternoon, a couple of days earlier than planned. But a dear family member had some medical problems and was in the hospital, and we needed to see her. She is now safe and will become well, but her well-being was the concern of our whole family, with many phone calls.

Over many years we have been a healthy family, but the last two years we have somehow often ended up in the ER or ICU or a hospital room. One time about a year ago, after my husband had hip replacement therapy, my son said, "We've got to stop meeting in hospitals."

A year and a half ago, at the beginning of my cancer diagnosis, I ended up in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism. One night the nurse came in laughing."I have to tell you about the physician's report in your file. His only report. He said, 'There were nine people in Carol's room when I arrived.'"

One time he asked me, "Can I tell you what I need to with your family and friends here?"

My reply was, "Of course, I will just have to tell them anyway."

Somehow we have not stopped meeting in hospitals, but somehow God and angels have looked down on us, and in spite of pain, has kept us all safe and helped us become well.

Sometimes I wonder. What is there to learn from these experiences? As a writer, what is there to write?

My daughter is the music minister in a church in Virginia. She said she is not sure the priest believes her requests for prayers for illness in her family. It does make one wonder after so many years of good health. But the prayers continue to work and we continue to get better.

My wishes for my granddaughter are greater than those for me. I want all my children and grandchildren to outlive me. They are all so brilliant. They all have so much to give to the world. And although we all try to stay healthy, somehow not everything is in our control. There are other factors, other plans.

My gratitude is great: for my family, for my family member who I pray will be well, for us all to stop meeting in hospitals.

But even when we do, we gather and talk and sometimes even laugh. I showed my granddaughter in the ICU how I can walk behind my wheel chair. I wanted her to know what seems impossible can be possible.

Sometimes I don't feel needed, feel useless. My husband has to cook, clean, wash our clothes. Once I can walk better, I will be able to help more, but until then I feel somewhat useless.

But the last few days I have been at the end of the phone line. I've listened, given my love, and know I still have a place in this world. I must have or I wouldn't still be here.

And I will treasure each day, each day with my family, each day with those I love dearly.

Love, Carol
heart
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Carol,
you have given much and still have much to give.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks Abe.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 6:59 am

I love reading your blog posts, Carol.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 am

Thank you Shelagh.

Carol
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:23 am

Sleep

Last edited by NYT BEST on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks NYT for the compliments and the suggestions.

They are appreciated.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coming Home: Carol's Blog   Coming Home: Carol's Blog Empty

Back to top Go down

Coming Home: Carol's Blog
Page 1 of 1