Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Home Remedies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyFri May 25, 2018 11:43 pm

I would like to start a discussion about home remedies -  things that our parents and grandparents used for medicinal purposes.  With current discussions about pharmaceuticals, the high costs as well as their effectiveness, there is much attention directed toward natural substances.  Cannabis is a hot subject with reported claims that it can cure cancer.   When someone is terminally ill, they are willing to try most anything to both relieve pain and/or a possible cure.  There are other maladies that are not life-threatening, but cause pain and discomfort.  What did our ancestors use before modern medicine?   Before vitamin supplements, what did they ear to provide the nutrients the body needs?
I had an interesting conversation about this subject this morning with my wife.  We related things that our parents/grandparents used for various maladies.  The subjects that we covered were about pain, nutrition and infections.  I will provide a list of things my wife and I experienced as a children if this subject is of interest.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptySun May 27, 2018 1:06 pm

Abe,

Please provide--the subject is of interest to me.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptySun May 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Starting with Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy.  Every year at springtime, I got Poison Ivy.  It was so severe that my eyes were swollen.  The blisters would run causing more infection.  Calamine lotion, pink in color, was used to inhibit the itching.  I looked a mess with this lotion covering my skin.  There was no known medicine to treat the poison other than a lotion to help with the itching My mother would apply baking soda to the poison It helped to dry the blisters and prevent the spread of the poison, but it was not a cure.  Our family doctor told my mother to apply urine to the blisters.  He said that it must be my own urine, not someone else’s.  I peed in a cup and she dabbed the blisters with urine, using cotton swab.  It helped.  My grandfather would pull off Poison Ivy with his bare hands and never got the poison.  One spring day while I was with my grandfather watching him pull off the Ivy, being careful to stay a safe distance away, he pulled off a few Ivy leaves, handed them to me with the command:” Eat it!”.  I did as I was told.  He added: “Don’t tell you mother”.  It was the first year that I didn’t get the poison.  When I told my mother about eating the leaves, she was s horrified.  She imagined what would have happened if the Ivy infected my insides.  When she confronted my grandfather about it, he said that he ate the leaves every Springtime and it was the reason he never got the poison.   It was his method for immunity.  Inoculations for various diseases were common, especially Small Pox.  Before entering school, it was required to have a vaccination against Small Pox.  In the military we were vaccinated against a number of diseases including: Malaria, Typhus and other depending on our assignment in to a particular country.  Being in the medical Corp, I recall being involved in giving these injections to new recruits.   When travelling by air in the 60’s, one had to show an inoculation card along with a Passport before receiving a boarding pass.  Travel to certain countries required innoculations  for diseases common to that country.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyMon May 28, 2018 10:41 am

Turmeric is a spice used in oriental cookery, but it also has many medicinal benefits, especially as an anti-inflamatory agent. One study noted that curcumin, the major component of the spice turmeric, has several therapeutic effects, one being the inhibition of cancer cell proliferation.

https://foodfacts.mercola.com/turmeric.html
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyMon May 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks Shelagh for your input.  I was about to call it quits if there were no other posts. 

Contining...

Colds and Flu
Symptoms associated with colds are usually with a stuffy nose.  Vapor Rub was a good remedy.  Vicks vapor rub is still found on store shelves.  Rubbing the salve on the chest and covering it with a cloth produced heat on the chest.  The vapors cleared the nasal passage for better breathing. The heat on the chest induced sweat that was considered important to sweat-out the infection.  The same applied to the Flu.  My mother used whiskey mixed in tea to produce sweating.  There was always a bottle of whiskey in the pantry for medicinal purposes.  I suspect that my father, a former alcoholic before he “got saved” still craved the hard stuff. I recall hearing my mother reprimanding him for nipping on the bottle.  She actually placed a mark on the bottle to monitor the level of the whiskey.  Whenever my father felt the symptoms of a cold or flu, he asked for the whiskey-tea mixture elixir. He drank the tea, was covered-up with blankets and sweated.  Although his illness didn’t last long, I’m not convinced that his illness was not always legitimate I suspect a part of it had to do with getting the Elixir treatment.
If you will recall the old western movies with hustlers traveling from town to town selling cure-all elixirs, it has been said that the contents of these elixirs were predominantly with alcohol and opium.  The narcotics could also have been cannabis and could account for the pain-relieving element.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyMon May 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Sore throats
Gargling with salt (salt diluted in warm water) was effective then as it is today. 
Coughing
Cough drops in the early days contained various herbs for flavor.  Smith Brothers, founded in 1847, was a popular brand offering apple, cherry or honey-lemon flavors.  They also contained alcohol.   Menthol became an active ingredient in later production.
Hiccups.
Ten swallows of water cured the hiccups.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyMon May 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Pain
Pherdesalbe (Horse ointment) was used for relieving pain in the joints.  Two years ago, when I had pain in my shoulder I received various treatments.  Frist a vibrator was tried.  The electrical impulses helped but did not last.  Next was strictly controlled radiation treatment.  Although there was some improvement, it didn’t last.  Finally, my doctor said to get some Pherdesalbe and rub that on.  I couldn’t find it at the pharmacy nor was it available via prescription.  I finally did a search and ordered it on-line.  It helped.  Since that time, the pharmacy has it available and both my wife and I use it for pain in the joints.
Aspirin – (the wonder drug) a synthetic derivative of the natural substance salicylic acid—the associated healing properties of which have been known for millennia. Salicylic acid is a main component of an herbal extract found in the bark of a number of trees, including the willow tree, and in a number of fruits, grains, and vegetables.  The first recorded use of salicylates dates back about 4,000 years to the Sumerians, who noted the pain remedies of the willow tree on early clay tablets. Ancient civilizations in Mesopotamia used the extract from willow trees to treat fever, pain, and inflammation. Both Chinese and Greek civilizations employed willow bark for medical use more than 2,000 years ago, and the Chinese also used poplar bark and willow shoots to treat rheumatic fever, colds, hemorrhages, and goiter. 
Today, in addition to a pain-reliever, aspirin is used as a blood thinner to prevent clotting.  I take aspirin on a daily basis as continuous treatment subsequent to my heart operations.  There are various doses available, 100 mg is the dosage prescribed for me.
Both my wife and I recall having mud packs placed on the skin for bites, such as bee bites.  Another substance obtained from tree bark was used to treat infections.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyTue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyTue May 29, 2018 10:48 am

Ice is a wonderful painkiller. After my last two battery implants, I used it with tylenol and ibuprophen instead of codene to kill the pain.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:46 am

Additions provided by my daughter who works as a nurse:

For 'karbunkels' animal fat on said area - it draws out the 'pimple'.
Also your own urin on any rash, not just poison ivy.
Burns - First cold running water on said area (no ice). A fatty creme applied daily and cover lightly with sterile presses. Repeat daily. Heals without leaving a trace. Do not remove skin where water accumilated. Poke a small hole with a sterile needle to let out the water. Pat down. Two grade burns over a big area should be taken care of by a doctor. Three grade burns must be taken care of by a doctor.
Cuts - clean out with running water. With a little fatty creme cover and bind the 'delve' tightly with a large bandaid. Repeat. If the cut is really deep - doctor.
When I say 'fatty creme' I mean Hametum or Bepanthene  

Actually, one's own Urin can be used also for all skin conditions like dermititis, etc.. Using one's own urin - because the antibodies against the 'disease' is created in one's own body, and is shutted out through the bladder- has shown to be the best remedy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Home Remedies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Remedies   Home Remedies Empty

Back to top Go down

Home Remedies
Page 1 of 1