Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Climate change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Climate change   Climate change EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 12:08 am

With the severe weather we're experiencing, the timing with the conference in Copenhagen is uncanny. I don't think the result of the conference will do much to change anything. It boils down to economics. It's more important to get the economy moving than deal with the effects of the pollution.

I hate to say it, but I'm becoming disappointed in Obama. He's becoming more concerned about his political future than doing what needs to be done. Backtracking and not sticking with his promises and the expectations given by his numerous speeches leaves many feeling that he's letting them down. He's losing respect. It's a bit early to draw conclusions, but the trend is not so positive.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate change   Climate change EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:02 am

I think that people's expectations were very high. He inherited a big mess. He can't fix it all alone or overnight, and he has to look toward , not just his own reelection, but the congressional elections coming up as well. His hands are already tied by the Republicans' unwillingness to compromise.

This country is still very polarized. We cannot expect one individual to heal that rift.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate change   Climate change EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 7:03 am

We cannot forget this is a democracy, a government system where the wheels turn slowly. Obama isn't a dictator or king, but the President, and has to deal with congress as well as all the rest of us and our opinions.

What worries me the most is the misinformation out there, wondering where in this age of the internet, the information needed for decision making orginates. For instance, the criticism of government run health insurance, versus the facts that over 40% of our health insurance is run by the government: servicemen and their families, veterans like our dear Dick, medicare, medical assistance which kept my mom in a high care nursing home, congress and other government employees. All veteran run health organizations. I am on Medicare and have chosen my doctors, been assertive, made decisions on care. I check my statements and they appear to be legitimately figured.

People throw figures and facts back and forth for propaganda, not education. To me, when AARP, the AMA, the American Cancer Society support something I listen. They are not perfect, made up of humans like everything else, but are experts in what they do, what they see is needed.

Love, Carol

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate change   Climate change EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:15 am

Poor Obama! What do people want from hm. The Republicans oppose eveything.

The news media and internet are busy day and night with lies and conjectures.

I don't think anyone can do anything with Americans these days.

I guess we can let Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin do it all.

They know everything--how quickly we forget.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate change   Climate change EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 am

I'm an Obama supporter, but that doesn't mean I will turn a political blind eye to reality. Of course it's a tough job and he has to deal with congress. That's why campaign promises should not be taken literally. To give hope and then that hope is shattered will undo all good intentions. Yes he inherited a mess and it won't go away overnight, however dealing with current issues, as with the Climate Change conference in Copenhagen, is seen as a let down.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate change   Climate change EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Can a United States President make campaign promises? I don't think so. He can have dreams and wishes, hopes and ideas, but laws are made by congress. I'm sure the day after he entered the White House as President he wondered how he would ever get through all the red tape, all the checks and balances, all the rules and laws limiting creativity.

It takes integrity, leadership, determination. We need term limits for congress. We need them to have social security and the same insurance problems and retirement issues the rest of us have. We need new faces, young ideas, people from all walks of life serving us. Everyone running for office needs to pass the test given for those seeking citizenship. They need to pass tests in history.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

Climate change Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate change   Climate change Empty

Back to top Go down

Climate change
Page 1 of 1