Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Climate

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Climate   Climate EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 pm

It is hot.  Temperatures are soaring in many parts of the world and people are dying from the heat.  Not everyone has the luxury of AC.  
Even in areas where AC would be available and affordable, many older folks find ways to stay cool using old methods.  Several years ago, I volunteered to do meter readings in the village where I live.  The older homes I visited had the water meter in the basement.  I went into wine cellars using a flashlight.  Old, large wooden wine barrels were still in some of these cellars.  During the war, people would go into the cellars for protection. With the heat, some folk are using these cellars as an escape to keep cool.  Some have even placed chairs in their basements to sit during the hottest time of the day.  A bottle of wine placed next the chair with a reading lamp helps.  I don’t have a deep cellar in my home, however I use it store beverages and they are always cool thus eliminating the need for refrigeration.  I feel sorry for people who live in the city without access to relief.  Heat prostration has killed many city dwellers around the world.  Once the street pavements become hot, the heat is retained, and as heat rises, it penetrates the homes. I have thick stone walls in my house, however once the stones get warm they retain their heat thus requiring a longer period of time to cool.  In winter the opposite occurs.  Heat penetrating the walls comes from the inside.  
The greatest risk, in my view, is relying on electronic devices.  We know that the Russians have tapped into our power grids.  The effects of this is not understood by many.  Imagine what would happen if we no longer had power.  Doing things manually is not learned overnight.  I certainly wouldn’t want to in a self-driving vehicle when it lost power. Air traffic control without electronics would be disastrous.   Becoming too reliant on electronics is a weakness, not a strength.  It may be time to revert to manual methods, as with paper ballots, to insure voting accuracy.  How many clerks could check you out at the store without the use of the scanner?  We have become too reliant on electronics and that may be our greatest weakness.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Russian hacking into US power grids is not a theory. see; https://t.co/34PbQdRDmM
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 am

The future looks grim.  Our survival is in jeopardy.   Why?  Because we are destroying the conditions that are necessary for survival.   Our sights are short-term.  Why?  Impatience and greed.
Climate change will push millions from their homes. Where will they go?  About 60,000 years ago Climate change pushed millions from their homes and the population was not as large as it is today Where did they go? They moved north and inland. These were migrants seeking a better place to sustain their lives.  Today, climate change is forcing people to move inland to escape the devastating storms causing erosion of coastal areas.  Extreme heat is resulting in fires - another factor in the chain of climate events.  Dry areas cannot sustain plant life.  Fresh water to drink is essential.  Climate change has not yet become a valid excuse for people seeking asylum, but it can be expected. 
It is evident that the climate has changed!  How to deal with the change should be a concern for us all.  “Cause and effect” are the reality we face.  We need food and water to survive yet many still ignore the elements attributing to the destruction of our food chain.  Spraying deadly chemicals on crops are causing illness with consumption.  The chemical sprays seep into the ground thus contaminating our water.  Whether one is a vegetarian or a meat eater is of no consequence.  Animals, wild and domestic, require food and water. Insects (bees) are needed as part of the food chain and they too are being destroyed.  
Just read that the Artic and the Antarctic are melting.  Scientists are still evaluating the possible effects.  Rising sea levels is just one factor that will affect coastal regions.  The pollution of the oceans is yet another concern as discarded plastics and other materials are killing sea life.  We recognize the cause, but efforts to prevent further contamination is slow in happening.
What is the solution to the problems we face?  I wish I had a simple answer.  While we worry about our environment, we are concerned about nuclear war.  Should nuclear war occur, nothing we do will save our environment.  The devastating effects of nuclear war is not just those killed immediately, but the fallout that will affect all living things for countless years. 
Being in denial by disputing the prognostication of experts is in my view, foolhardy. One does not to be a scientist to observe what is happening.  Common sense tells us that we have a problem and our lives depend on a solution.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 am

Americans have a love affair with low gasolene prices. They burn up fossil fuels just for pleasure activities. 28.5 million Americans took flights across America during the 2017 Thanksgiving weekend. Many of those travellers believe in global warming, but they are unwilling to curtail their overuse of fossil fuels. Addressing so called "climate change" is not popular when it means a change in habits. A much bigger threat to wildlife, especially in the world's oceans, is the dumping of plastic. Yesterday, I dug up a dead japonica shrub and replaced it with a small hydrangea. I found a plastic bag among the roots. It had not degraded despite being in the ground for more than twenty years. We pollute the planet at our peril.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am

Agree Shelagh. 

I suppose it is human nature to want “things” and want to retain our lifestyle without sacrificing or any inconvenience.  One expects the other guy to do it.  It is easy to spot litter along the highways and wonder why the department of transportation doesn’t clean it up. Taking personal responsibility for our actions and how it affects others is no longer a consideration.  The “throw away” mentality has infected all aspects of our lives from manufacturing to the consumer.  We must change our way of thinking and it starts with each one of us.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 5:36 am

I saw this comment on facebook earlier today:

"The Binary Constellation Nibiru Dead Sun and the three Chochin Planets have just entered and are leaving our Binary Attached Solar Systems... The Pull of Gravity and the Energizing of the Sun is only momentary and will be 3,600 years before it happens again. But, the Climate will return and probably be the best of all on the retreat of Nibiru and the three Chochines! Actually, very much ICE AGE will start and high quality Warm Coats will be required in 100 years... Poles, refreeze and very Cold..."
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 am

The storm approaching the East Coast of the US is gathering speed.  It is predicted to hit North and South Caroline as well as Virginia.  I sent an email to my daughter in Virginia and asked her if she was prepared for the storm.  She wasn’t too concerned since Charlottesville is farther inland, however she said that they have stocked up on water, toilet tissue and chocolate. I responded saying that she has thought about the essentials.  They do expect lots of rain.  I failed to ask her if she bought some of those Trump paper towels were used to soak up the water in Puerto Rico.  Trump tweeted that his actions in Puerto Rico were an “unsung success”.  The governor of Puerto Rico doesn’t agree.”
Trump further stated that Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by water and that hurricanes are wet.   The “Stable Genius” felt it necessary to share his knowledge with his base supporters.  I think that the producers of paper towels missed an opportunity to name their towels. “The Trump towel that soaks up hurricane waters.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Climate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate   Climate Empty

Back to top Go down

Climate
Page 1 of 1