Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Work in Progress

Go down 
+8
dtpollard
alj
LC
Abe F. March
Malcolm
alice
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 7:43 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 7:48 am

... maybe they left because they didn't like the critiques of their work. Some of the members who asked for help didn't appreciate the advice they were given. They wanted to grow from praise not criticism.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 am

Domenic,

In the chattter box we chatter.

Are you ready for Christmas yet?

I don't think you can talk a writer out of writing.
I haven't managed to anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 9:59 am

To some extent, the lack of "work in progress" may come down to the fact that excerpts that at too short are hard to say much about out of context and excerpts that are long take a while to read.

As rude as it may sound, most of us are too busy to read and then offer solid comments about a multiple-page manuscript. That, more than anything else probably leads to the small talk, the log in, read something fast, say something fast, and then move on to Facebook or one's own work.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 10:19 am

Domenic,
As Alice mentioned, the Chatter box is for chatter.
As Shelagh mentioned, honest critiques are not always welcomed.
As Malcolm pointed out, getting someone to read a lengthy post is the first hurdle. Most have other things on their schedule and move on quickly. I seldom read long posts unless it is a Blog or something I am keenly interested in. Asking for help usually gets a positive response. Expecting help by chance is risky.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:25 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:55 am

Teach then...What do you want us to learn?

I remember well your last lesson. I am negative, don't like writers, complain about my health etc.,

Do teach me more. I am sure that session helped you far more than it did me.

It gave you an opportunity to vent your bad feelngs towards me publicly.

Perhaps you could commence a class on how to be kind to folks.

Last edited by alice on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:00 am

As Shelagh noted, unless it's good, people don't want critiques of their work, they want affirmation. Read responses to critiques in places such as the Writing Craft forum on writers.net if you don't believe that.

And as Malcolm noted, most of us don't prioritize the time to do solid critiques of others' work, anyhow. There are more effective ways to learn the craft than to spend hours critiquing pieces in genres we would probably never look at otherwise.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 7:13 am

Domenic,

We are waiting--don't hold back. Wherein are we wrong?

Chatting in the Chatterbox--such a travesty!

Merry Christmas!

Perhaps you could edit our posts.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:32 am

Aw Phooey!

Another hit and run! You dash in here, sling a mudball then run far away.

Why not stay and defend your remarks or rescind them?

That would be the sporting thing to do.

When you think we have forgotten, you will be back.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Back to top Go down
Just me.

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 9:09 am

You don't seem to get it Alice...I do not want dialogue with you.
All you do is side-tract threads on writing. I am in this forum to learn how to write...not blow up you ego.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 9:33 am

Fine! As you wish... You are as usual so very right Work in Progress Lol
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 11:50 am

Domenic,

As I see it, the main purpose of the Chatterbox is to establish a sense of community. We get to know each other; we get to know who among us tends to be brutally honest, who tinctures criticisms with a touch of honest sugar, who focuses on all the positives, and whom we can trust to not be merely subversive.

We also get to see what kind of advice and criticism is helpful to each of the varied personalities who chat here.

The important thing about posting WIP's is being able to trust. We've become wary here, of blind trust.

As for myself, my presence in the chatterbox has helped me to get to know my fellow posters. I have a good idea of whom I can trust to give a valid response, of whom I can listen to, and whom I should take with a grain of salt - positive or negative.

It helps to know where the critic's credentials lie, and how much experience that critic has in specific areas.

And all of these facets are best determined, I personally think, by the informal conversations that take place in the chatterbox.

Stop in and visit sometime; let us get to know the real Domenic. We will have a better idea of how to help you, if help is really what you are looking for.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:21 pm

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Has the work in progress become a thing of the past? I like to read what writers write. Watch how they grow from the help of other members. Has Published Authors become just a chat room?...Just a place to talk to friends about everything except writing?

Maybe those who came here to learn gave up...maybe they read to many post that stated..."It's a wast of time."

I am not a writer, but my attempt to edit is as follows: See the next post.

Last edited by alice on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:22 pm

alice wrote:
Has the work in progress become a thing of the past? I like to read what writers write.and watch how they grow from the help of other members. Has Published Authors become just a chat room, just a place to talk to friends about everything except writing?

Maybe those who came here to learn gave up...maybe they read too many posts that stated..."It's a waste of time."

Domenic,

Do you put up a tree? Feel free to tell about it on my tree thread.
I want to build your ego. You need an ego repair. Somewhere you have been hurt.

Happy people do not go around telling others off.
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:20 pm

I don't post in-progress work often. Unless the people reading the work really know what you are trying to convey it does not make much sense to me to post it. My work changes so much from in-progress to finished that posting it is a wasted exercise. Each writer has a different style and the responses you get may be more of their style versus your style. If I have a particulay issue that I am having trouble with such as a transition from one scene to another, that seems to be where a post could help more.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:24 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:50 am

Domenic,

About split infinitives: The infinitive of a verb is the basic form of a verb -- often used with "to" in front of it. The most well-known split infinitive is: to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Correct grammar is: to go boldly where no man has gone before.

The infinitive is "go" and putting an adverb (boldly) between "to" and "go" splits the infinitive.

http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?q=split+an+infinitive&hl=en&sl=en&tl=en&oi=dict_re

I like to read what writers write, to watch how they grow from the help of other members.

I like to read what writers write and watch how they grow from the help of other members.

"Watch how they grow" has a slightly different meaning. If I asked a group of children to blow up a bunch of balloons, I might say, "Watch how they grow!"

Last edited by Shelagh on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:52 am

Fine I will leave--because of you.

You just answered your own question. Why try to help someone write?

They wrote it the way they want it. Now do enjoy yourself.

I refuse to be publicly verbally abused.

Last edited by alice on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:55 am

I am not leaving the forum.

Why not? It obviously doesn't have what you need. Try AbsoluteWrite, Writers.net, or one of the dozens others of writing forums around.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:56 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:59 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:59 am

Shelagh...you are correct. Capt Kerk was from the wrong side of the Moon.

Kirk.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 9:57 am

Domenic,

If Alice left the forum, the members who claim to have left because of Alice will not return; they'll lose the excuse for leaving, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 7:33 am

Shelagh, you are the admin...why do you allow members like Alice to force herself on other members?
I understand why others left...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Work in Progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Work in Progress   Work in Progress Empty

Back to top Go down

Work in Progress
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next