Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Hunting the sub

Go down 
+2
Dick Stodghill
harry
6 posters
AuthorMessage
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Dear Friends.

Couple week ago I made a trip to a town
named Paltiski; it lies on the northern coast of Estonia
and have been one of the most important coastal base of the nuclear bowered submarines
of the former USSR.

My intention was to seek up someone who might be able to tell something about the accident of the sub M - 2000 that sank off the
coast of Paltiski in 1956, taken 29 of her crew down with her.
I was told that the crew was raised and buried behind the planked of top secret, no more than 50 metres from the water
front. Late the bodies was dug up and reburied in cemetery in the southern side the down.

Having arrived at that small sleepy down I at once found it being almost empty of active people, pehaps for the vicinity of
the capital city of Tallinn which have sucked all the active population especially within the working days when the local train and busses have their permanent turns between these two cities. I cam upon an aged man on the empty street, the man told being veteran and was going to policlinic to have new order for a new medicine,this veteran told been the commander during the war and very customary way of Russian denied to tell anything more about the military services.
There was something humble in this man in his
slow tone and in his old fashioned black suit.
I was impressed all of that and
when he told that he have pension juts little more that 3000 Estonian crones all told, including the small sum which Putin the president of Russian have promised, I thought awhile whether it would be
correct to offer a small sum for this brave man without being hurt his pride. I rejected the idea and I late thought it was right.

There were two streets running in parallel direction towards the outmost tip of the cap where stood a solitary lighthouse. There and
here lay ruined buildings around the lighthouse probably been some kind of
stationers of the former navy of the USSR and
on the edge of cape of the peninsula there was very deep precipice down to sea and the land there was expose for the waves from the offing.

There were two bars in action at noon and the name of the other of them was Taverena. The keeper of this place was a woman who introduces herself as the owner of the place. I ordered my things that were meals and drinks what ever those were anyway I got easy to conversation with the women since there were no other customs at moment in the tavern
and because I had my knowledge of Russian language.

I soon found the woman who told her name
being Galina – being jovial person with open mind and very talkative. As I
injured the case of the M 2000 she raised her arm and said. “ Oh, I very well remember the incident. I was small girl that time and I saw the bodies that was excavated up. They were jus as thought living human beings, their clothes were still wet. It was horrible sight and I was afraid.
Their commander who was alive was ordering - when his time will come, to put him in the same grave with his crew”.

When I injured about the Russian submarine
W-137 which rounded in 1981 off the coast of Sweden and was close to caused conflict between Sweden and the USSR, she said; “ I should to know since I was married with one of those commander of u-boat and she took her phone and started call some one. I head her talking and telling that here is a man who is interesting to hear about submarines. And when she was ended the firth phone talk, she took the second, and then second, I became feel little bit uncertain for I very well known the Russian atmosphere, there is no allowed to talk about military thing in public.
ceerio
harry
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Very interesting. How did it end after the woman's phone calls?

Military units are very secretive. In the spring of 1944 my infantry division made a practice landing for D-Day on the south coast of England at a place called Slapton Sands. Fast German E-boats came in on it and sank several landing craft. The 749 soldiers who were drowned were buried in a mass grave and no one was allowed to talk about it or write about it. Many years went by before the American government admitted it happened.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 3:33 pm

Was this what you were refering to Dick?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/3664535.stm
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Dear Harry,

What I know of Russia is what I have read in books. What I know of Estonia, you have posted here. I read the Russian authors when I was young and had the mind of a young person. You have a lot of first hand information about the sea, the politics and the people of your area. Blab it all out here. I love to know.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Your investigations read like a book, one that I would like to read more of. Hope you'll continue the story.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:23 am

Thank for the reply and here is the end of that story.

The T Shirt.

The next day was Friday and I spent the
wholly day sitting in the tavern talking, dining and wining. Galina the
mistress of the tavern kept bawling to everyone that a journalist have visited in her palace and she invited every one come to seen and tell what ever they know and I heard her repeatedly uttering a Russian word, “ Bohmish?”
To you’d member,’?
When the night came and the dusk descended the tavern was full of people and I was giving wine foe everyone Galina enjoy to got so much people in his place, By the midnight all still was ok and as I was talked for awhile with a truck driver and the day had been hot I was wanted to change the shirt and so I went to my motor-home and took the first T shirt
that hit my hand. It appeared been a T-shirt with a picture of a finish soldier wearing Germany fashioned helmed and with the well known machine gun Suomi. I am not patriot, nor expatriate, I neither will nor stay on side of nobody; I not want support any political view and have either not any political trend to follow. I belong not anywhere I am not citizen of any city or country. Only I ask to be free and independent for, I
know, this life it too short to be anchored somewhere for the whole life.

The T shirt what I was wearing on I had got
as a present from my friend who is passionate collector of all sort of military
stuff.
I re-entering the tavern and sat down at my old table and the conversation was surfing there like before, there were more
women than men and I noticed that the men had fallen very sullen and way ore other there was descendent some kind of gloominess in the room where were sitting. I had no idea what that was all about, even when a woman from the nearest table said in loud voice, ” Ja nijet
lubit facista!”

“Me too,” I said” Not like Fascists”.

I was ignored like a child among the grown up people, still knowing anything of this suddenly new hate against the fascists unless Galina, the mistress said to me with lowered stone” You T. shirt.
Would you go and change it into some more suitable one.”

Of course, it was the picture on my shirtthat caused the mood lowering and I was so stupid that didn’t know it at once.
I went and changed the shirt but it was too late and the atmosphere so badly spoiled that not any explanation of my ignored of the mater wasn’t enough to get the feeling back.

I was lost the play by wearing that stupid T shirt. I rose and went to my m-home
and drove away.

Cheeri

harry

see the shit in gallery
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:00 am

Harry,
perception is something that we often fail to realize. How we dress can cause people to form an opinion, right or wrong. Wearing clothes with slogans is understood as one promoting or endorsing the idea. Too bad this learned lesson caused you to lose out on an opportunity for open discussion.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:02 am

A big mistake, Harry.

Yes, dmondeo, that was the event. When my platoon sergeant, Eddie Wolfe, watched a landing craft go down and saw helpless men in the water he said, Jeez, this is the most realistic maneuver we've ever been on."
Someone said, "It's the real thing, Eddie."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

Hunting the sub Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting the sub   Hunting the sub Empty

Back to top Go down

Hunting the sub
Page 1 of 1