Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Flood

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: The Flood   The Flood EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 5:40 pm

It has been a little while since I posted a story and because we have had so much rain, and the ditch water it racing toward the river, I will post the story of The Flood. It is one of the first stories I every wrote and is in the beginning of Wooffer. I hope you like it.
THE FLOOD

It had been raining all day. It had been coming down in buckets (raining cats and dogs). Wooffer had been sleeping on the couch all day and was just plain bored! He wished the rain would stop. He could hear the wind howling through the trees and knew it was a bad storm. It raged on all night while he cuddled up next to his mom and slept a fitful sleep. He dreamed strange dreams of giant lizards and great green frogs. They were chasing him… chasing him… chasing him…

When morning came at last, he was so happy to see the sun shining through the windows, he did a double flip and raced over the top of the couch, through the kitchen where he slid around the corners and back through the living room, and once more around the kitchen before he stopped. He wanted to go OUT! His mom opened the door and he leaped all the steps and landed on the wet grass.

Everything was still very wet with the rain. There were big puddles to splash through, and before long he was wet to the skin. He was feeling very good!!!!

Wooffer decided to go visit the frogs first and off he went as fast as he could. When he reached the ditch, he stopped short. The water was flowing very fast and the duck weed was almost all washed away. Only a remnant was clinging to the edges of the banks and around the big weed trunks where the water was making long arrow shaped ripples as it sped past. The frogs were not in sight. Wooffer leaped the ditch and was nosing through the broom weeds, splashing in the mud and smelling the fresh smells, when all of a sudden he heard, “My children are all going to die! What to do?!! What to do?!!” It was a terrible sound.

Wooffer recognized the voice. It was Old Agnes, Mother Of Thousands. He ran over to where the noise was coming from and there in the middle of a great lake was Old Agnes and most of her Thousands holding on for dear life to a small clump of weeds and debris!

Old Agnes was carrying on in a great turmoil over her children. Oscar, the little mouse who had played “chase” with Wooffer saw him at the edge of the water. He said, “Mother, just be still a moment and I think my friend can help us.”

Old Agnes screeched, “He will probably kill us all!!!” She had always been a loud mouse. Oscar called to Wooffer and Wooffer came wading out to where he and the Thousands were. Oscar explained how during the night the rain had come down so hard and flooded their home and that they had no time to get the Thousands to higher ground. Now they were trapped on this little place in the middle of the water and did not know what to do. Most of his brothers and sisters were too little to swim and were in terrible trouble if they could not get to safety soon. He pleaded with Wooffer to try to think of a plan.

Wooffer thought for a few minutes and said, “I think we can do it. First, have the youngest ones climb onto my back and hold on tight to my hair. I will take them across the water to the dry side and come back for more.” With a lot of persuading on the part of Oscar, and a lot of telling Agnes to calm down, the little mice climbed onto Wooffer’s back and held on for dear life. Most of the morning Wooffer transported little ones of the Thousands to the other side of the water until the only ones left were Old Agnes and Oscar. Old Agnes did not get to be a Mother Of Thousands by taking a LOT of chances. She refused to ride on Wooffer’s back!! She would swim herself. So, Oscar, who had made each trip across with his brothers and sisters, climbed onto Wooffer’s back and kept a watch on Old Agnes until she reach the bank at the edge of the water. There they all were, sitting under any wet grass they could, shivering and hungry. Wooffer knew they needed to get under cover soon. He told Oscar to stay there with them for a few more minutes while he made a place for them to be safe.

Not far away was a small hill of dirt that had been grown over with grass and weeds, and it was dry. Wooffer began digging a hole into the side of the hill. Wooffer was born to dig holes it seemed, because in no time at all he had a great tunnel that sloped up and then down, deep, deep, into the little hill. When the hole was finished, he asked Oscar to come and see if it was good for his family.

When Oscar saw the tunnel and inspected its depth, he was stricken with awe. It was a Castle Of A Mouse House!! He looked at Wooffer with respect and admiration. What a dog!!!

It was not too long before all of the Thousands and Old Agnes were cozy and warm in their new home. Oscar rubbed noses with Wooffer and said “ Thanks a thousand, and a thousand times.”

Old Agnes began to count the Thousands to make sure none of them had been eaten or killed. Wooffer could hear her still counting the next day. She was up to 1,089, and still counting.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Flood   The Flood EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Of course, I love the story!

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Flood   The Flood EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 5:42 am

I think this was the story that hooked me on Woofer and all his friends. And your exceptional writing ability, Betty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Flood   The Flood EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:00 pm

What kindness you all bestow. When I read all your lovely words, I feel incited to sit right down and have an idea.

I itch to do it.

The farm consumed me body and soul. Now, the weeds are snorting in their seed pods. Maybe I should write a story about the weeds. Maybe not. It would only incite the vegans and, of course, I have to murder a lot of weeds to have flowers and vegetables that I can find.

Maybe I could, and make the weeds the enemies of the flowers. But that old saying goes, "A weed is just a flower in disguise." What a mess!

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Flood   The Flood EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:48 am

Do it, Betty. It would be a delight, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Flood   The Flood EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 10:28 am

And some of the weeds are quite attractive. In my opinion, moreso than some flowers. You're close to both, Betty, so you'll figure a way. Just don't stray too far from the animals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

The Flood Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Flood   The Flood Empty

Back to top Go down

The Flood
Page 1 of 1