Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Obama's first mistake?

Go down 
+4
Carol Troestler
Don Stephens
alj
Abe F. March
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Obama's first mistake? Empty
PostSubject: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am

Did Obama make his first mistake by giving amnesty to the CIA agents who used torture with prisoners, by saying that it was “the law under Bush?”
Torture was in violation of International Law. Do we use International Law when it’s convenient and disregard it when it doesn’t serve our purpose?
With this logic, any country could say that the atrocities they committed were the law of the land (their dictator).

I would agree with Obama in granting amnesty, provided that Bush would then be charged with the violation.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:35 am

What a job! We are lucky when people with integrity are willing to take it on. this man, it seems to me, has a lot of that.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 am

Very Happy

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:38 am

The torture issue is a sad one. I had gotten some documents a while back from the National Security Archives about the torture. Many good people left Bush's cabinet. For some it was tied to the torture issue.

I think more will come out on this, and hopefully some will be charged.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I believe torture is always wrong. Among other things, it makes it more likely to happen to your own soldiers when captured.
As for the CIA men and Obama, that "I was just following orders" alibi was shot down at the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war criminals. But as Don pointed out, soldiers are sometimes given orders they don't believe in. I didn't like it when a sergeant ordered us to loot French houses and give everything to him. I didn't like it after the war when we had to raid houses of former German soldiers looking for American cigarettes or candy bars. Had any of it involved torture I would have refused. I think it is inexcusable. Had Obama ordered the CIA men tried, the nuts would have come screaming out of the woodwork.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Don, I understand what you're saying. Following orders is what basic training teaches and the consequences for disobeying are hammered into you. However, as Dick pointed out, there is a line that everyone has where the conscious says, "It's wrong." For a young person, taking a stand against authority is not something most can or will do. For adults, like the CIA, these men know what they're doing. They could simply refuse to participate. But as always, the person issuing the orders, the person where "the buck stops here," should be held responsible.
We are not an isolated nation and we want to be the leader. If we don't comply with international law, why should anyone else?
Obama has lots of problems to deal with caused by Bush, however he will be judged on the decisions he makes. He doesn't have an "undo" button to wash away the problems of the past. The "law" should be enforced. If the law is wrong, it should be changed. So what happens to those operating under the "bad" law? That's the dilemma.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 pm

His first mistake was making Hillary Clinton Sec. of State. It will come back to haunt him, the Dem party, and pretty much everybody.

Regarding the torture, didn't Nuremburg kind of determine that "I was just following orders" is no defense?
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 7:01 am

The government took the escape and evasion school manual and said that could be the rules for torture. My husband went to a similar school in 1961. There the participants were part of a mock prisoner of war camp for several days where they were tortured. (Every squadron on the base had to send someone to this school and my husband was junior in his squadron, so he was given the privilege. No one volunteered.) They put the participants in freezing pools, wrapped them in canvas, put them in small boxes.

But, first the participants were trained in how to survive torture as prisoners, and these people doing the torture were not the enemy, although they appeared to be so.

So the government rationalized that since this was done to our soldiers in our training program, it could be done on the prisoners and was not considered torture. Perhaps the participants in that training program have a different opinion.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 7:55 am

Some people even claim that the United States should not be subject to international law, but should be above it. I think the United States should be subject to international law and so should all other countries. If there has been a violation of international law that can be proven beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law, then those who perpertrated the violation should be appropriately punished.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 8:36 am

You're right Gordon, and that's part of the problem.
The US refused to sign on to the international court of justice, yet supports it when it brings others to task. No American has ever been brought to task since we refuse to acknowledge international law against an American citizen. A double standard if I ever saw one, but it will catch up with us. The respect we had in the world was lost with the Bush administration. Obama is doing his best to repair it, but if he falls into the same trap, i.e., with the amnesty issue, we're going down the same road again.
Lin and Dick referred to the Nuremberg trials. Those brought to justice couldn't claim that they were following orders. They were convicted.
Our "get out of jail free" card is going to backfire. When an American commits a crime in a foreign country, he won't get off so easy in the future - and he shouldn't.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 8:39 am

Very Happy

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 9:32 am

The U.S. Constitution would, I believe, have to be amended to allow the U.S. to limit its sovereignty by making itself subject to an outside body in every day.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama's first mistake?   Obama's first mistake? Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama's first mistake?
Page 1 of 1