Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Ping Pong for the boys

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Ping Pong for the boys Empty
PostSubject: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:24 pm

A Stodghill Says So blog:

Ping Pong for the boys Stodg+at+Polk

It seems everyone had been behaving badly so we were restricted to the company area for the weekend. That meant nothing to do. There was a Day Room for the enjoyment of the men but all it contained was several folding chairs and a large table. Determined to beat this restriction, Fleming and I decided the table would be perfect for Ping Pong. We made the rounds asking for money to buy equipment. As it was near the end of the month, cash was scarce so some contributed a dime, some a quarter and one or two fifty cents.
With close to three dollars in hand, Fleming and I went to the orderly room and explained the situation to the first sergeant and company commander. A great idea, they agreed. So impressed were they by our thoughtfulness that each contributed a dime of their own money. The first soldier wrote out passes so we could go into town and buy the equipment.
The bus ride cost a dime apiece and we both kept an additional dime for the return trip. In Leesville we found three grades of Ping Pong sets, $2:50, $2:00 and $1:50. Low prices, but this was 1952.
“Nothing but the best for the boys,” I said.
“Absolutely.” Then, after a thoughtful pause: “You know, though, they’re a pretty rough bunch.”
“A good point. Maybe the two-dollar set would be best.”
“I agree. That way we could have a couple of beers at the bar next door.”
So we did. After further consideration we decided the one-fifty set would do fine for a bunch of beetle crushers, hard-nosed gravel agitators. That would allow for a couple of more rounds. Eventually it was agreed that Ping Pong was a wimpy game unsuited for infantrymen. That bunch of roughnecks back at Camp Polk would be hitting people with the paddles, stuff like that. So we stayed in the comfortable bar until the realization dawned that we were broke, had missed lunch and were hungry. By then it was after 5 p.m.
"Saturday is the night for USO dances,” said Fleming. “They have food, too.”
The USO had not opened when we arrived, but the door was unlocked. The large room was empty. We saw food already out on a table by the far wall. Dainty little sandwiches, things like that, so Fleming stuffed three or four in his mouth and I took a couple myself. Then several women came charging out of the kitchen and told us they were not open. One shoved Fleming and he staggered back against the table, tipping it over.
He has just regained his feet when the front door opened and two MPs entered. Fleming and I ran through the kitchen and out the back door. The MPs and several shouting women were close behind. We discovered that the backyards in that part of town were separated by wooden fences six feet high. We scaled the first and went on, aware that two dogfaces could climb fences and run across yards faster than MPs. Then Fleming started laughing. It was contagious. At least two dogs set up a howl.
Once free of our pursuers, we followed a circuitous route along residential streets until we could see the bus station. As expected, it was crawling with MPs. We continued on, eventually crossing several farm fields and then going out on the highway, We flagged a bus headed for camp, bypassed the orderly room and went on to the barracks. Men were furious, outraged, until they heard the story of the chase, then they were laughing in approval. We were admired, viewed as heroes.
In the morning an olive drab sedan containing an officer and two MPs stopped near the orderly room. The captain told them the company was restricted so none of his men were in town the previous evening.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 pm

What a fun day and evening!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 pm

After reading the story, I wondered if you were ever brought to task for blowing the money collected. Being pursued by the MP's was certainly a good diversion.
Funny story.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 am

No one really cared about the money, Abe, although I did notice that I had to buy more rounds at the PX than previously.

Marie, aside from that day at the USO, I have never been chased by women. Well, a few have chased me out of offices and places like that. I'm just glad you didn't ask if I ever did the chasing.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 am

A funny incident, Dick. Did the ping pong ever happen?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 am

No, Zada, it did not. The only time I saw people actually gather in the day room came when the wife of the most stupid, ugly, annoying and disliked man in the company came to visit him. She was an absolute knockout and no one could imagine how the two of them ever got together. The day room was jammed with men who suddenly didn't hate the guy as much as they thought if being close to him meant being close to his wife. I just happened to notice this in passing, of course.

Marie, I discovered early on that all the girls I wanted to chase could run faster than me.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 10:00 am

Dick Stodghill wrote:
No, Zada, it did not. The only time I saw people actually gather in the day room came when the wife of the most stupid, ugly, annoying and disliked man in the company came to visit him. She was an absolute knockout and no one could imagine how the two of them ever got together.
Which day did your wife visit? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 10:05 am

lol! You'd better duck, Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 am

That was a different wife and she did not visit. For that I am eternally grateful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ping Pong for the boys   Ping Pong for the boys Empty

Back to top Go down

Ping Pong for the boys
Page 1 of 1