Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Help with order and return policy?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
roatan4us

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Help with order and return policy? Empty
PostSubject: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi,
My book just came two days before Christmas. I am very excited. I am working on getting it in to a bookstore at a large church, and the vendor application is asking for order and return policy. Since I am selling to them myself, I am not sure what I should put down here. Also, they ask for wholesale price, is that what I am willing to sell them for to them? This is my first book, so all this is new to me.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Carl
Back to top Go down
http://www.theultimatepursuit.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Yes, wholesle price is what you are charging. The "cover price" is retail.
There are two ways of figuring it out. One is to start from what you pay for the books and add on what you feel you need. The other is to start from the retail cost and work backwards. This is often determined by stores that take 40percent net. In other words, your ten dollar book will bring you six dollars.
I sell my self-published books at "keystone", a term for 100% markup, meaning if the book sells for 5 bucks, I charge them $2.50.

There is probably only one return policy you can get away with, absolute guarantee of returnability of the book.

One way around all that, and something many stores suggewst to self-publishers. ("Suggest" in the sense of "compel") is consignment. Especially to start.

This cuts their risk to zero and gives your book a chance to prove itself. And you might be able to get a little bigger percentage on consign than outright sale.
So you're telling them(about your ten buck book), "I'd like to see you start of with four (or six or whatever) books on consignment. Once you sell through a consignment or two, I'd like to think you'd have enough faith in the book to purchase 10 (or whatever)
I'd give another 5% for orders over 20 (or whatever)

When you think about it, 100% return right is no different from consignment except you have the money until they decide to return. It might be just simpler to consign.

My books are cheap and move very fast. Some places I get an intital consign reciept (and ALWAYS get a receipt, even if the custromer is Mother Thesa. It's just the way things are done, and makes sure every remembers right, if nothing else. But a carbon receipt pad) for like like 8 or 16 books then when I come in theuy just count how many the have, subtract from 16 and pay me the difference without having to go through more receipts each time.
Consignment is attractive to the seller and is actually simpler and less frustrating to the seller than having returns later (after you've blown the money on unwholesome vices like rent).
Consider making point of purchase posters or some kind. Nothing eleaborate, just something they can stand up on the counter or tape to a window. I overrun covers on my paperback books and use the extra, unfolded covers as posters. I also give them my number and email on the back of the poster.

Offer to do an "in store event" for them and time it for publicity with your local newspaper.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 10:41 pm

PS The problem comes when you've got a ten dollar book that costs you $6.50 to produce and they want 40%. leaving you fifty cents net per book. This happens to people with lulu and such high-unit-price books. It makes pricing delicate and if you're jammed on it, and since it's a church we're talking her, consider discussing the matter of pricing with them. Have your dream figure in mind, but consider their recommendations.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 6:38 am

That is very helpful information, lin. I hope anyone considering going that way reads this post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:47 am

Another thing to look at. I don't know anything about your book (and that's another tip: we SHOULD know: you should have a link to it in your "signature" on this and every forum up post on, and in you email preferences)
so this may or may not make sense, but don't assume the only place you can sell is book stores. My biggest outlet on the island here is an ice-cream store. In San Deigo it's a head shop.

Books of local history and color sometimes move in hotel lobby stores. I've seen books sold at swap meets. Some books move at coffee houses.
Is this a book that might do wel off a card table at revival meetings? In Alcholic Anonymous shops?

Always have a couple of books with you. Display the title, even if you're just on the bus or coffee shop. Seriously. It's free. Books sell better when the author is present to make a connection and autograph... and offer a discount because you're going direct to customer.
Is this a book that would sell on eBay or Craigslist?
Are there specialty forums in the topic area?
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 pm

Lin, your insights are great, and very true. One place that I am selling my "self help" book is a spa. I also like the little indie bookstores - they are a great resource for local authors and very supportive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 3:55 pm

Exactly Pam. Indie and specialty book stores are the natural prey...oops, I mean nautral habitat... of self-publishers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with order and return policy?   Help with order and return policy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with order and return policy?
Page 1 of 1