Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Please help me in choosing web hosting

Go down 
+12
Phil Whitley
Brenda Hill
RetiredName
alj
lin
Rhymer
JoElle
flashgordon
Don Stephens
Dick Stodghill
zadaconnaway
0as
16 posters
AuthorMessage
0as

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Please help me in choosing web hosting Empty
PostSubject: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 6:47 am

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (bluehost.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 7:20 am

Oas,

I went with freewebs, and for less than you are paying I was able to add my own domain name. I'm not sure about storage space, as I have not had a problem yet and have quite a bit of stuff on there. They do have free sites.

Have you checked Author's Den? They offer quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Don't know a thing about the site you are considering but it sounds good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 5:23 pm

I use HOMESTEAD andhave been thrilled with it for over four years now!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 9:33 am

I use Site5 for one of my sites, they are out of San Fran. My other is EasySpace out of Scotland. Both are good, reasonable price, lots of disk space, constant up time.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 am

Hi Oas!

Like Zada, I use Freewebs.com. Actually, they just recently changed their name to webs.com. You can get to them at both domain names.

I've had them for nearly 3 years and have three websites with them:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My third website is a private family site.

Webs.com has been great and they keep working to be even better.

Quite a few of my writer friends have their sites with them.
Check out Zada's site it is very nicely done.

I paid a little extra for my own domain name and premium services to get rid of the ads. But the small added cost is well worth it to me.

Wishing you the best!

~ JoElle

Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Thank you for the compliment, JoElle! It seems there are many different web hosts out there, it just depends on what you want to spend and what you objectives are. I think it cost me about $50. +/- to get the domain name, and some extra features.
Back to top Go down
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 7:07 am

When I first started I went with freewebs and I pay nothing for the site. I lost my counter at one point with over 2000 hits. My new counter has over 7000 hits and I have a lot of pages on my site. Check it out maybe it will provide you what you are looking for at no cost.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 8:15 am

I've had very good relationship with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and have put up a lot of sites with them without problems.

Their tech staff if fast and handy (and don't live in Calcutta) and unlike some hosts I've had where everything's fine for 6 months, then they start downgrading your service, these guys actually seem to get better.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 9:25 am

I, too, use freewebs/webs with a domain added. I have found it to be very user-friendly and have not had a problem with space.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 6:44 am

Do yourself a favor and don't use a free web site hosting place because your page will be ad supported and to me an author that has a web site on Geocities, etc, reeks of unprofessionalism.

The more disk space you want, the more your hosting provider will charge you. Its just the nature of the business.

Get a domain like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] A modest starter package will run between 10-15 dollars a month. It'll look good and you can do what you want with it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 am

Not only can you get a domain name through freewebs, you can pay a small fee and not be bothered by ads.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 7:23 pm

I agree, Ann. I love freewebs because I can easily add, delete, rearrange, about anything I want to do. Before I discovered them, I used a web designer and had to pay about $2000 to get my site going and had to pay extra whenever I wanted to add or change anything. That was several years ago, so I can imagine what the cost would be today. Freewebs was so easy that I learned very quickly how to do my own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I think it might atuallly cost less these days, Brenda, though I couldn't say for sure. Everybody wants to be a web designer and it's getting so much easier for people to DIY.[url]

I'd suggest that people at least try using a template or WYSIWYG editor or some sort before paying big money to designers.

Also, don't have your domain registry and page host be by the same company.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Why not, Lin? What are the problems? I just have them all in one place for convenience - or so I thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 pm

When I went with Freewebs I had to use a different provider for my
domain name (ICANN, I think it is). Now I am getting emails from Webs
(Freewebs new name) trying to get me to move my domain registration
over to them.

I have no idea what to do. My renewal is coming up about mid January.
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 pm

With my $49, (or whatever it was,) they eliminated the ads on my pages. Much cleaner.

What is the difference in where you got your domain name, and why register with someone else? I'm kinda 'toopid' about some of this stuff. I went through freewebs and got the website and the domain name.
Back to top Go down
Elias12

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 am

Hi Oas,
I have no idea about that site which you specified.Because yet I didn't use it.
There are plenty of Web Hosting companies available in online.You need to choose the best one.It is hard to find it.I would suggest some points to select best web hosting provider
1.Search in Google or Yahoo for web hosting search.
2.Select five providers among them.
3.Compare those providers with each other.
4.Read reviews about them and customer rating of the companies.
5.Find out the company existence.
6.Consider their SEO services,plans,features and price.
Using these points you can select the best one. I would recommend the site XnYnZ.com here you can get web hosting service at low price.I have been using their services for the past one year yet I didn't get any issue related to my hosting.I am happy and also satisfied with my service provider.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:38 am

Hi Zada, glad to seen you posting.  How are you?
As for Freewebs, that was the original name and then I registered and paid for my domain name and it became Webs.com.  The "Free" reference was eliminated.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 8:28 pm

I had Network solutions. I'm going to use them again.
They give all the simple tools, and everything you need to build a great site. The charge is a little under $10 a month.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 12:05 pm

My domain is from some place like network solutions (bought for 99 yrs so forgot).  I have always used freewebs, later renamed to web.com for my web site free hosting and found few ads and no problems.  Never felt the need to change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting   Please help me in choosing web hosting Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help me in choosing web hosting
Page 1 of 1