Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Why do I care?  I care because wherever I live I will be affected by what America does.  American actions are felt around the world.  I am naturally concerned about my country of birth.  Wherever one lives he/she is identified by their country of origin.  I have experienced love and hate.  The most hate I felt was during the Bush Presidency.  I felt a big change of feelings with Obama at the helm.  The feelings being made about a possible Trump Presidency would indicate a huge negative.  I wouldn't vote for Trump or Hillalry.  Even by writing in the name of a Candidate knowing it may be a wasted vote is a personal choice.  Integrity is more important than winning.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 11:24 am

Unfortunately, I disagree with you Abe. A vote for a write in candidate is a vote for the candidate you don't want, regardless of which one it is.

Between Secretary Clinton and Donald Trump, there is no choice.  Secretary Clinton is the best qualified to lead the world's beacon of hope in a free world.  It certainly is not Donald Trump.  Other countries think we are silly for the petty standards we hold our candidates to compared to real issues like international diplomacy and economic prosperity.

While President Clinton signed into law the bill that filled our prisons, eight years of republicans did nothing to change our profitable prison system. Until reform runs rampant in our justice system and our campaign finance system and our taxing system, nothing will change for those without opportunity.  Donald Trump's wealth will not rub off.  Just ask those who do business with him and are never fully paid for a contract or not paid at all.

A vote for Donald Trump or against Secretary Clinton is a vote for division, a vote to end social security as we know it, a vote to end universal health care that could otherwise be made better, a vote against funding infrastructure or taxing those who pay none.  The list is enormous.

Once before I compared Trump to the Emperor in the Emperor's New Clothes.  He fits that image better by the day as people know he's a fraud and continue to say they prefer him to a qualified candidate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Back to Brexit. Theresa May, the new prime minister, travelled to Edinburgh today to meet with Nicola Sturgeon, first minister for Scotland. There will be no second referendum for Scottish independence, said the prime minister, and negotiations over Brexit will go ahead as planned with consideration given for Scotland's stance on the EU. Now that Ms. Sturgeon has been met and dealt with, the government can get in with the pressing issues of running the country and negotiating a fair deal over Britain's exit from the EU. Well done, Theresa May!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 1:20 am

Divorce (Brexit) proceedings have started in Brussels.  Will it be a amicable separation?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 am

I don't think so, Abe. Those who voted to leave the EU want a clean break. The Tory party suffered a severe set back in the recent election, mainly because the UKip vote was divided between the Labour and Conservative parties. If a deal was struck to keep the UK in the single market, there would be a surge of support for UKip, and the demand for another referendum. The UK would become a divided nation with no clear majority for any one party. It's much better when the country pulls together. The electorate can vote for change if they don't like the government of the day, something that would not be possible under coalition governments.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 5:30 am

Don't know how to respond to that.  PUlling together makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 5:40 am

The chaos continues over Brexit in the UK.  Meanwhile, the deniers of Climate Change are changing their tune as the effects are being felt.  Seas are rising and some islands have already disappeared.  I am reading more about historical events seeking the cause.  There is always a cause.  The cause of wars, although different have a common thread.  The disastrous effects of wars seldom deal with the tragedy on the lives of those living in a war zone.  Survival is multi-faceted.  Food, clothing and shelter are basic.  Climate change will impact all humanity as it did in the past.  Migration will increase as people seek a better place to live and, in the process, create other problems with integration into societies.  It is human nature to be concerned with current events without giving attention to the long-term effects of current actions.  Greed and power are the prime culprits.  In the US, the on-going impeachment hearings are revealing.  Although there are laws governing evil practices, power politics strive to erase the safeguards in place with obstruction of justice.  
Resistance is a powerful weapon.  Demonstrations are occurring in several parts of the world for freedom and for justice.  The price they pay often results in their death.  Another effective weapon is boycotting.  Some will use their voice to express their concerns.  Doing nothing implies acceptance. We don’t always get what we want, however we can be comforted knowing that we at least tried.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 4:32 pm

It's difficult to know how things will turn out in the upcoming general election. Michel Barnier contradicts everthing Boris Johnson says about the future trade deal. Barnier is taking a particularly hard stance as a warning against assuming that the UK would be better out of the EU than in. If he were Russian, there would be an outcry of political interference by a foriegn state. As it is, he's allowed to interfere without censure. 

If the UK is to leave on WTO rules at the end of 2020, it would be better to leave on 31st January without signing the Withdrawal Agreement. This is unlikely to happen, which suggests that Johnson is lying when he says that there will not be an extended transition period. The EU will make it impossible to leave at the end of 2020, which means there will be a twelve months extension of the transition period. All very unsatisfactory and designed to keep the UK paying into the EU.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 5:16 am

It will be interesting to see the effects of Brexit once it happens.  In the meanwhile, the effect of some products are already being seen.  The one medication my wife takes for her LEMS’s disease was produced in the UK.  The most recent prescription (Firdapse)she had filled shows that it is produced in Ireland, packaged in the Netherlands and distributed by a company in Denmark. The cost of this prescription – a 50 day supply, costs 2860.19 Euros.  Fortunately with our excellent healthcare, we didn't have to pay that.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 10:32 am

If the drug is produced in Ireland, it's within the EU. Today the Withdrawal Agreement passed by a majority of 124 votes. The bill, which contains within it a clause stating that there will be no extension to the transition period, will now be fast tracked to the House of Lords. In January, it will be sent back to Commons and become law by January 31st.
The EU Parliament will vote on the agreement before it is finally signed and sealed. The UK will remain under EU law until the end of 2020, and then will be officially a non-member.
The areas of England that voted leave in the referendum, and have recently elected a Tory MP, are crying out for help within their communities that are desperate for better health, housing and education. Boris has promised to focus on these new Tory held constituences with immediate effect. Time to put the country first and bring an end to the endless Brexit debates. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Yes, we shall see.  In the US, the President was impeached by the house – “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”.  The trial in the Senate has yet to take place for his removal, in the meanwhile there is a stack of bills sitting on McConnel’s desk waiting to be signed that include healthcare benefits and the environment.  The Bills waiting for UK’s Johnson, promises to be fulfilled, will be important for the “will of the people” to see if their wishes are taken seriously. 
In the meanwhile, I want to wish you and the members on this forum a Merry Christmas and hope that joy will be with all of you.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 8:15 am

Thank you, Abe, and a merry Christmas to you, Gisela and your family.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 3:38 am

Last night, the Withdrawal Agreement bill passed and will soon become law. The UK will leave the EU on January 31st. We will crack open a bottle of champagne!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Brexit has taken a new twist with the breakup of the royal family.  Prince Harry and his wife Megan are breaking away to become private citizens.  It is reported that they are even leaving the UK for residence in Canada.  I suspect that Prince Harry is still angry about the treatment of his mother, Princess Diane, and wants to avoid a similar situation with his wife Megan.  Prince Harry tried to promote the humanitarian efforts of his mother – reaching out to the underprivileged in various countries.  He has also proved himself adept in military activities, placing himself in harms way in defense of his country.  He is a man of courage.  His decision to make this break by stepping down is laudable. The effects of this break remains to be seen along with the break from the EU.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Harry was born into privilege; his mother married into it. Both rejected their privileged position. That is their right, but it isn't anything to be admired. I suspect that now the Sussexes are gone, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, will become as popular as the queen mum did when the Windsors left. The sooner the press stop writing about Harry and Meghan, the better. Neither gave any mention of their fathers during this step down from royal life. Dads are important. Harry is now a dad. One day his son may decide to strike out on his own. Be careful what you ask for, Harry.

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Being born into privilege continues to be a problem when they assume powerful positions. It is not a question of “losing the common touch” since they have never experienced that commonality. There are rare exceptions.  It will be interesting to see if “Prince Harry” will be identified without that title as he attempts to become a commoner.  I admire his courage.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Meghan is laying the law down to the paparazzi to force them to stop publishing photographs of her in newspapers. One wonders why she decided to marry into the royal family.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 am

Who proposed to whom?
Those of us that married an outsider can understand the problems associated with marriage.  In my case, not only was the person I married outside the country, but also outside the faith.  My wife was blamed for the change in me and she suffered constant criticism. To alleviate the pain, we moved to another State making a clean break. I felt, the need to protect my wife. I’m guessing that Harry did something similar.  To this day, I am considered the “black sheep” of the family and the relationship with my brothers and sister is still strained. It is not only religion, but can also be race that creates problems.   Deep seated prejudice is evident.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 9:20 am

The royal family were delighted to have, at last, a multi-cultural member of the royal family. It sat very well with the queen as the head of the Commonwealth. During WWII, after Buckingham Palace was bombed, the queen mother said she could at last face the people from the east end of London. The queen probably felt the same to have a mixed-race granddaughter. 
Meghan did not want to give up her royal duties so much as she wanted to make billions out of being royal the way the Kardashian and Jenner girls make money out of their appearance. There are strict rules to prevent members of the royal family from profiting from the royal label. Meghan wanted to stay royal and make a fortune. The queen said no. You are in or you are out. Nothing to do with race or colour. Everything to do with not tarnishing the British monarchy. The queen would have preferred them to stay. They wanted out. I hope they'll be happy with their billions.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 am

Your response is appreciated.  it is difficult to separate perception from reality.  How are perceptions formed if not from actions?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 5:22 am

The heads of the European Commission and Council - Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel - have signed the Withdrawal Agreement, ahead of the UK's exit from the EU on 31st January. The signed document has been sent to Downing Street for the prime minister to sign.
Next week, the EU parliament will approve the UK's exit from the EU. We will leave a week today at 11pm GMT.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 6:29 am

For me, it will be a sad event. The breakup of the European Alliance (Union) is a win for Russia and Trump’s America.  A once powerful entity being reduced to weakened splinter groups.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Money is power. The UK has the opportunity to reach global markets ouside the EU. Now is the time to put talking aside and prove to the world that the UK can not only survive without the EU; it can thrive.
Today, Tesco announced that it will no longer be using unrecyclable plastic for multipacked products. The supermarket giant says it will remove 350 tonnes of plastic a year from the environment. Without EU regulations on packaging and size and shapes of fresh produce, the UK can lead the way in avoiding the use of unecessary plastic wrapping. Just one of the many benefits of leaving the EU.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 12:39 am

Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 am

The United Kingdom has left the European Union. Today is the first day of independence from the EU. Nothing has changed. The sun did not fall from the sky; it shone brightly all morning, welcoming the new freedom. All is right with the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?   Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shelagh, what do you think of the BREXIT decision ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next