Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

All Shot Up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 11:19 am

All Shot Up I_outg19 We made our monthly trip to see Ol' Doc McLaughlin this morning and got to sit around waiting in the treatment room decorated with Cleveland Browns-Pittsburgh Steelers material. I prefer the room decked out with Harley-Davidson stuff or the one fixed up like a French cafe, but I did enjoy a baby's diaper suit hanging on the wall with the message on its front saying "Poop on Pittsburgh." Not that I don't like Pittsburgh, a great city where the Allegheny and the Monongahela meet to form the Ohio River.
Anyway, I got a flu shot to keep me healthy this winter and a testosterone shot to give me energy and last night I had a shot of gin on the rocks to put a smile on my face so for now - at least until happy hour rolls around - you could say I'm completely shot.
The remarkable thing about this visit to see the doc who likes to be called Hugh is that I was on my best behavior. No wisecracks, no one-liners, just a decorous man behaving decorously. Last time after he slammed a needle into my butt he said, "Beautiful!" so I asked him if he meant the view or his expertise with a syringe.
Jackie said something about acting my age. That's exactly what I was doing. There comes a time in life if you live long enough when you can say just about anything to anybody and get away with it. Along with that, everybody smiles at you, young ladies hurry to hold doors open for you and somebody is always asking if you could use a little help. I play the role to the hilt, milk it for all it's worth even though I can open doors for myself and never need any help.
Well, there was one thing this morning that caused the sawbones to jerk his head back in shocked surprise. After pointing out the latest skin cancer on my left hand I called the $100,000 machine he uses to remove them a "gadget." Apparently that is not a term normally used when discussing medical equipment. But what the heck, I can say anything I feel like saying because it's one of the perks you acquire with age. That's something for young squirts to look forward to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks for the smile, Dick. I'm glad you got all your shots, and if gin puts a smile on your face, have one for me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 5:44 am

Well Dick,
I got my flu shot last Thursday and that was the only medical thing associated with a "shot." I've been busy with the non-medical shots though and they're keeping me healthy - well at least more amicable.

Thanks for the heads up about the things I can look forward to 'getting away with.' Does smoking a pipe help?
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 6:33 am

I have been poked, prodded, shot, and at times personal dignity has been seriously challenged. You do get all sorts of perks with serious illness, also, however.

After having doctors ignore me and misdiagnose, I have become assertive and ask lots of questions and make requests.

And then there are those times of definite perks: of chocolate, of ice cream, of wine!

Carol

All Shot Up 83899 All Shot Up 634186 All Shot Up 143616 All Shot Up 143616 All Shot Up 143616 All Shot Up 842802
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 7:50 am

You even sound better, Carol. That's enough to perk us all up here.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am

I agree, Carol. Never let them get the best of you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Today, my new doctor, even sent me a letter telling me my blood work looked good, he'd see me later in the month and "enjoy the fall." My last doctor didn't even answer my calls. This is a definite improvement, and indeed we need to be self-advocates and let these people know exactly what we're thinking and needing.

Carol
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm

It sounds like your new doctor is a winner, Carol. And I agree, you seem to have perked up considerably. Tell Megan I enjoyed her poem, and your story about the magic carpet was nice, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I think I was worried about my husband's hip surgery. I knew he was going to try to show me he was doing well so I wouldn't worry.

I have been helpful. Each day I put on his left sock and also new bandages!

Having my husband's sister and her husband here has helped also. Tonight we had family members and I think we all had a good time. Megan got to read her poem in the anthology.

Megan is visually impaired and has had difficulties with friends and lots of disappointments. Her poem is different, but it expressed how Megan felt about friends. As a freshman, when she went to the homecoming dance, "friends" thought it was humorous to leave Megan all alone on the dance floor talking to herself. We have always had to let her know when we were leaving the room, because she cannot see us leave, and especially couldn't see her friends leave her on a darkly lit dance. She stayed away from school activities until last year when she went to the prom with a group of real friends.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

All Shot Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Shot Up   All Shot Up Empty

Back to top Go down

All Shot Up
Page 1 of 1