Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Joyful Memory

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Joyful Memory Empty
PostSubject: Joyful Memory   Joyful Memory EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 am

When I first moved to the Louetta Road area of Northwest Houston, it was still, basically, farmland that was being encroached upon, but had not altered the community in a significant way.

One of my favorite places was Strack Farms Market.  This family of farmers, like several related families in the area, had a Germanic background, which may have contributed to their pragmatic business acumen.

The original market was a steel structure - the kind that then, if not now, could be purchased cheaply and put together quickly.  This one was a large open space with a roof and retractable doors and window coverings for security.  Six days a week and Sunday afternoons the market was open, selling produce, eggs, and local honey, as well as Ball jars of pickles, jams, and whatever. About the same time I moved there, someone in the family came up with an expansion idea that would bring people in during out-of-season slumps.  Next door to the market, they opened a barbeque stand.  Just a stand - you stopped in for your veggies, and could run next door to pick up a lb of brisket - or sausage - or pork - whatever your desire might be at the moment.  The concept worked and before long, they enlarged the stnd to include a few picnic style tables, and common sides like potato salad, coleslaw and beans, all with a decidedly German influence.

Fast-forward a bit: The stand became so popular they added on a restaurant, with comfortable seating, servers, beer and wine, etc.  It wasn't long after that before they agreed to have a helicopter pad built on the grounds so that downtown CEO's could bring clients, etc up into the northwest area for "homespun meals," which now not only included great barbeque, or the best home-fries in the country (truly), but meals based on those home-grown vegetavles, perfectly cooked, to accompany a bit of meat (or not).

I have been gone from the area for 11 years now, but the last I heard, it was still going strong.

Of course, it has taken a couple of generations of children and grandchildren to keep it growing, but it makes me feel hopeful that smaller family operations can succeed in bringing us healthy produce and meats that are developed with care and an intent for a healthy and sustainable food supply.

(Daniel's 20th century friend, JT, aka Johnny, and his new-found romantic interest, Leslie - and yes, that's a bit of a spoiler -  will work against the commercial interests who would turn farming into a technological age market commodity, regardless of whether or not the products were humane or healthy, to develop a safe and sustainable agriculture,)
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Joyful Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joyful Memory   Joyful Memory EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:15 am

There's a radio show where people call in with what's in their refrigerator and the show's cook commentator offers a suggestion on how to put them together.  I used to listen to it often on the road.  There were some pretty interesting combinations.  I can't remember the name of the show but it was on NPR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Joyful Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joyful Memory   Joyful Memory EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 am

Food Network had a show at one time where the host would bring a master chef with him througha neighborhoood, ring a doorbell, and get permission for them to come in.  the shef would go through the fridge and put a gourmet meal together with whatever was avaulable in the house.

I always have fun when I stay at Dave's while Lynn is gone on her conference, seeing what I can manage to put together.  I did learn, however, that Jaycie doesn't eat chicking that does not have a crust of some sort.  that cramps my style a little.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

Joyful Memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joyful Memory   Joyful Memory Empty

Back to top Go down

Joyful Memory
Page 1 of 1