Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Should all Americans think alike?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Should all Americans think alike? Empty
PostSubject: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Before I start this discussion I will say the topic question is partially tongue in cheek, but not entirely. Americans disagree with each other on numerous important issues. But the debate over most if not all of these issues is always (frequently) laced with personal attacks, hate mongering, back biting, etc. There is very little benefit for anyone concerned when that happens. I realize people feel strongly in their convictions and some look to attack anyone who disagrees with them. This is definitely the case in political and religious debate. My wife has an attitude of her way (her ideals, the right way) or the wrong way (differing ideas). It is not they're just different, it is they're wrong. On some religious points I concede I share that philosophy. And while I do disagree with some people on issues I try to never make it personal.

If we all thought alike then obviously all the bad elements of debate would be eliminated because there would be no need for debate. No more individuality. No more thinking for yourself or having an opinion that differed. No more finding the best solution to a problem. If we all think alike, by definition, there are no more problems. But wait, the problem is what happens when we all think alike about the wrong thing. What if we all agree incest is okay? That rape is okay? Society is pushing hard for people to accept same-sex marriage right now. If that is acceptable to society then should same-family marriage be acceptable as well. Should I be able to marry my sister or brother. I love them.

In answer to my own question, no, not only should all Americans not think alike. I believe it is essential, even imperative for our growth, that we  be different to a degree. We must be allowed to debate even the most passionate of topics. And the only time a debate is truly effective is when it is done with respect for the person(s) we debate with. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm

We are individuals and therefore think differently. Thinking incest is okay is normalizing criminal behavior. I don't think we need to agree on everything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Good thoughts, and well presented, Charlie.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am

I agree with your view, Alice, concerning incest ... criminal. And yet, more and more society gives a pass to a man being with a man or a woman being with a woman ... also, criminal. When a person is not strong in their convictions societal trends and pressures will change their minds to current accepted norms. A shift in what society accepts doesn't always make it right.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:19 am

I am very conflicted about same sex, sex. Clearly it is not the ideal way to live and divorce is not okay either. Divorce is now accepted. I think we should let God be the judge.

Our nephew was obviously gay from day one It seems a portion of our population are born that way.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 am

Alice, when you tell your husband you don't believe in divorce and her replies, "You will when I'm done with you." You might see it differently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 am

Ann, When you are right, you are right.  I don't know how to see it.

Last edited by alice on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am

alj wrote:
Alice, when you tell your husband you don't believe in divorce and her replies, "You will when I'm done with you."  You might see it differently.
Of course not, which is why we each need to express our perspectives - so that we can put more pieces into this gigantic puzzle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should all Americans think alike?   Should all Americans think alike? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should all Americans think alike?
Page 1 of 1