Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

D. K. Christi's musings

Go down 
+3
Abe F. March
alice
dkchristi
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 11:39 am

New Topic - anyone with opinions regarding Hillary Clinton's speech to summarize Donald Trump's media grabbing statements?  Seems to me it was late in coming and should have been delivered by one of the other 16 Republican candidates and maybe one of them might be running instead of the tv personality.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm

We are not on the same page, DK. Aborting girl fetuses was the low tech method of producing boys in China. Cloning organs might put an end to the sale of children's organs. But what the heck, babies only need one kidney, so why not sell the one that is surplus to requirements? Organ trafficking is well organised in many countries, so why not make it legal?

With the drop in birth rates, why not make abortion illegal, too. Unwanted babies must be wanted by someone, surely? Maybe not.

Time and cultures change, usually because civilised countries put pressure on those countries that still carry out barbaric practices, like public beheadings. These days the progressive is actually regressive and culture is only for the "privileged."

Plastic surgeons perform miracles on the injured and physically handicapped. They also make a great deal of money out of surgeries performed on old, rich people who have more money than sense.

Why is it socially acceptable to pierce ear lobes compared to any other part of the body? I'm sure that you could get a discount for piercing a baby's ears, nose, tongue, navel and nipples. Why stop at ears?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 pm

6/3

Shelagh...

....................Applause !!

Cheers.......Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 9:49 pm

The selling of human organs is on the rise.  I can understand the need for organ donors that can save lives, but it is so sad when people sell their organs for survival.  It is horrible when people are killed just for their organs. 
I don't even like seeing tatoos.  Rings in the nose or lips to me is repulsive.  Fashion or fads?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 10:11 am

All these issues are what happens when cultures across the globe have information about each other and form opinions about what is ethical, moral, and legal anywhere in the world.  I believe it is very complex and that my opinions come from my own culture, education, travel, etc. and to someone else may seem way out of line.  My actions are not always consistent with my beliefs; and while I have opinions about the way other people choose to respond to the issues discussed above, I try to withhold judgment as I don't walk in their shoes. 

Some things to me feel so heinous that I declare them as wrong.  However, I am sure that another person would declare as heinous things that I see as acceptable.  I do not know the answer to living in a diverse world with harmony when there are so many differences in beliefs that are strongly held.  In our organization of government, a sectarian government purportedly elected by the people is designed to provide safety for its citizens and legislate for the common good.  There will always be winners and losers whenever there is compromise, even if partial.

Our sectarian government is in contrast to those countries ruled by one religion or another.  People have a strong emotional investment in their religious doctrines.  That is why the U.S. was founded with the purpose of religious freedom and a government that was sectarian - the rule of law without the influence of religion.

However, the "rule of law" passed down over the ages across the globe has always been influenced by the beliefs of those in charge. Pure sectarian government is quite difficult when the people making the laws have strong religious beliefs and are persuaded to legislate by those with similar beliefs.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 am

New topic:  On NPR today I heard a discussion about plants having feelings.  Yes, they know when they are injured.  They see light. They control their odors to attract insects and specific insects if they are injured. They react to music and sound.  They recognize predators approaching - even humans coming to cut their day's vegetables.

I know the garden by my front porch knows the difference between mother and me. They bloom with great, large blooms for her.  When she departs for her home, they become sullen and drop their blooms.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 12:06 pm

DK, you can attribute feelings to any living thing, but much of what we see in the plant world is based on environmental factors. Talking to plants breathes CO2 all over them, so they thrive. Severe pruning of some plants will increase root growth and they will flourish, others will die, not from shock, but because the new growth springs from the parts of the plant that have been removed. Plants react to vibrations, not the actual music and sounds. Predators cast shadows.

You either neglect to water your plants or overwater them; either one will harm the plant. Whatever plants do, they don't do it with any thought. If you touch something hot, your hand withdraws from the heat source before the message reaches the brain. There are receptors in your skin that react to stimuli automatically; if they didn't, your fingers would get burned.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Interesting thoughts about plants, DK.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Snails have just two brain cells, enough to help them to make decisions:

"In the first-of-its-kind study, published in Nature Communications, scientists from the University studied the brain activity of freshwater snails and discovered how a circuit comprising of just two neurons can drive a sophisticated form of decision making.

Scientists, from Sussex Neuroscience, monitored the snails' behaviour whilst they made decisions in their search for food (in this case lettuce). The researchers then measured the activity in the snail's brain by using electrodes to record small electrical changes, called action potentials, in individual neurons.

They discovered a controller type neuron which lets the snail's brain know potential food is present and a second neuron which transmits signals telling the snail's brain what it's motivational state is, i.e., whether it's hungry or not. The scientists also reveal how the system, created by the neurons, enables the snails to save energy by reducing brain activity when food is not found."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160603071655.htm

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Apparently there are a large number of scientists studying this aspect of living plants to help them thrive. The discussion on NPR did indicate that they were not saying that plants actually had cogent thought processes but rather cell memory.I'll look on NPR and see if I can find the url reference.  It was quite charming and gives a new perspective to gardening even if the reactions can be attributed to other factors as Shelagh has suggested.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 4:28 pm

I think the Indian tribes who prayed over their food and thanked it for making it possible for the Indian to live by eating it had a good idea.  The more one understands about living things the less enjoyment comes from killing it for sport or even to eat.  However, the food chain provides for all living things to eat living things so it must be part of the natural order of things. We can be responsible, though, and treat those living things that will become food humanely and with respect for providing us with life giving nutrients.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm all in favour of genetic engineering to increase the number of brain cells in a snail. Then I will train them to stay in my neighbour's garden!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm with you on this, Shelagh, especially those slug snails that like to eat on my lettuce.  Just as a new plant gets started, they chomp it off.  I destroy them while my wife will just fling them out of the way and they return.  Some neighbors place a saucer of beer near the plants and the slugs go for the beer.  We found that planting garlic and onions around the lettuce acts as a deterrent.  Natural predators are beetles, frogs, hedgehogs, snakes, mice and centipedes.  In my view, a snake would be worse than a slug to have around.  I hate snakes.  It doesn't matter if they are non-poisonous. 

Shelagh, if they can teach a snail to read, we could make up little signs with arrows pointing to the neighbors garden. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Shelagh wrote:
When children as young as five are being taught about gender differences and transitions from a boy to a girl and vice versa, parents are actually harming their children. Young children will close their eyes and say: "I can't see you, so you can't see me." Such an unformed mind should not be asked to cope with gender issues that even adults themselves cannot understand. Adults mouthed words that they did not want children to hear, one example is the country and western song, D I V O R C E, written by Tammy Wynette. Innocence today is lost, and no one knows what the effect of allowing children to adopt a "gender identity" will be in the long term. Things have progressed almost to the point where parents will ask the medics to perform a simple operation at birth if their child is born the wrong sex according to the parents' wishes "because it will make it easier for them to transition."

D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 12961751_1216009481772372_764138424660716810_n
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:20 am

You'll be delighted to know I heard they are manufacturing dolls now to help cope with the gender issues - here goes the anatomical doll debate again.   Someone on this forum said we have a lot of really important things to think about in this world -

Someone will always be there to make a buck.  That's the way the free systems work.  It's up to intelligent adults in any culture to determine the information they want their children to have and work at providing it in a timely and age appropriate manner and having explanations for the information the children receive unsolicited by the parents.

I remember when I was 17 and left my first year at college to go to California.  I was only one year out of high school in Michigan and attending a small, liberal arts college.  My first apartment was near a California high school.  I was in shock when I saw what they were allowed to wear to school.  In today's comparison, they were way overdressed!

Every generation bewails the changes in society - some good and some not seeming so good.  Today, a woman was walking in the parking lot not paying very much attention to traffic as she was reading - from a book - not texting!  I remember driving and reading in my youth.  I remember lots of people read papers while sitting on the San Diego Freeway - no wonder there were so many crunches.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 11:48 am

I googled "anatomical doll"; the website at the top of the page said: "Adults only please! By entering this website you certify that you are over 18 years of age. This website contains some ..." I should have anticipated that!

The next website listed said: "Anatomically correct dolls used for child sexual abuse treatment & therapy. Anatomical Dolls by Teach A Bodies."

I added "transgender" to the search and suddenly the penny dropped: dolls dressed as females with male genitalia between the legs. So parents can buy a boy doll with girl clothes. I guess they will do just that.

This video shows how the parents of a handicapped child went the extra mile for their daughter:

http://www.littlethings.com/doll-surprise-prosthetic-leg/?utm_source=LTcom&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=inspiring#
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 3:46 pm

That shows the danger of the Internet!  I think the anatomically correct dolls were the lifesize ones!  I remember the old Internet days when I would get email that was shocking on aol.  Fortunately, the spam sifters eliminate that stuff now. However, kids are great hackers.  They'll find what they are looking for.

It's not uncommon for little boys and girls to play dressup in clothing of the opposite sex.  Even Shakespeare had men play women's roles in his plays. I think once people get over the talk and the press lets go, too, people will go back to being whatever they are and no one will care.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:02 am

No one cares about adults doing anything, provided it doesn't affect anyone else. Children taking hormone blockers and synthetic hormones is of concern, though. As you say, children experiment as they grow up, but experimenting with drugs that cause sterilisation should be outlawed.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 12:38 pm

New Topic:  Donald Trump. It seems that the Republican Party is going to reshape the Donald so they can get him elected and do what they please in Congress.  They don't need a qualified person to do their bidding and sign their bills - just one who stops shooting off his mouth.  Any robot would do.  Their problem is his personal programming that's bigoted, misogynist, without class and in general a loud-mouthed bully accustomed to "money talks" and he can say or do anything so long as he flashes the cash.

Well, the country deserves more than a robot, a polished figurehead, a not-supposed to make it candidate with zero understanding of the world at large or his own country who will need to be spoon fed by the minions around him.  What a disgusting state of affairs.  How pitiful that the white, uneducated males are flocking to this real estate salesman like he's their savior - like his money will rubb off on them. Poor schmucks - money doesn't rubb off the wealthy - they need it to make more.

That leaves women and and the many sections of the U.S. population that Donald trump has demeaned to stand up and say, "We deserve a president with knowledge, experience and the will to lead the entire nation in a complex global economy."  I mention women specifically because they have fought so hard for their right to be human with their own goals and aspirations and the young people of today don't remember --- and a vote for The Donald is a vote against everything women fought for.

There are two choices regardless of how people feel about either's past lives or activities - one is Hillary Clinton with intelligence and more qualifications than anyone to be in the President's chair or Donald Trump, the egocentric bully with nothing substantive about the world or the nation except what his speech writers feed him. Don't even bother to have the man speak.  Just put up a cardboard cutout and play a carefully recorded tape that says exactly what the Republican party needs him to say to get elected.

And so, I have friends and relatives who will vote for The Donald because he is the Republican candidate and therefore represents the potential religious right legislation, the "Christian position," and will protect their lifestyles.  The fact that he as a candidate has zero to offer doesn't phase them.  They are zoned out by his total lack of qualifications and concentrating on the "rest."

Well, sometimes the President is forced to think, to make decisions, to speak for the nation, to speak in a global context. A cardboard cutout that has "I will make the deal" printed on it won't do, and neither will The Donald.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 4:10 pm

Trump probably has a lot less to lose than Clinton. She has much more political clout, and if she loses it will be seen as a great failure. On the other hand, Trump is without political accomplishments and failure is almost expected. The Clintons cheat and have no qualms about using dirty tactics to discredit the opposition. Being past masters in the art of mud slinging, they know how to cover their tracks and avoid discrediting themselves. Trump is a novice as far as political shenanigans go, and he will most likely get his fingers burned if he adopts the same tactics. We can expect a few embarrassing moments between now and November.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Good posts from both DK & Shelagh.  What a mess!  There are intelligent people available, but they won't run for President.  The power hungry are usually the ones who seek the high office of President.  If America wants a woman as President, Elizabeth Warren would be a good choice.  Although it appears that Sanders won't be nominated, his contribution has made a difference and his ideas/views will not die.  Warren shares his views. 
What would happen if Clinton was indicted for her email debacle and Trump for fraud with Trump University?  Would that not disqualify them both?  Who would step in to take their places?  If we still claim "justice for all" then no one should be immune from prosecution. When we have GWB, Cheney, Rumsfeld not being tried for crimes against humanity.  When we have members of congress who committed traitorous acts not being prosecuted, it makes a sham of our justice system.  Waving the flag has become a cover-up.  Real patriots use their conscious as a guide.  Muhammad Ali refused to be conscripted to fight in Vietnam. Some fled to Canada to avoid going to Vietnam and killing innocent people.  When America is directly threatened, men and women will volunteer to defend their country.  Refusing to follow orders for a senseless war takes courage.  The WWII Nuremberg Trials convicted German military officers who did their duty by following orders and they were condemned to death.  On one hand we insist that soldiers must follow orders while at the same time condemning them when they do.  It takes a courageous person to defy orders when they believe them to be wrong. 
This election has turned into a battle for truth and justice –vs. - evil and injustice.  Neither side is pure.  It comes down to the lesser of two evils.  That is not a clear choice.  I don’t like Hillary and I dislike Trump even more.  What choice is that?  The fiasco with campaign voting fraud has brought attention for needed reform.  The ability for all citizens to vote without hindrance should gain more attention.  With available technology there can be no excuse.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 4:29 am

Did Obama improve the economy, or is America still falling behind? A view from across the pond:

"It has taken about four decades longer than it took Europe, but in many ways America has started to turn into a continental social democracy, with all the sluggishness and slow growth that implies. With his emphasis on subsidies, heath care and regulation, Obama has accelerated that process – and Hilary Clinton would do so even more. America may be losing global economic leadership because countries such as China are growing. But it is also losing it because it has abandoned many of the qualities that made it so prosperous in the first place – and Obama showed no sign of wanting to recover them."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/06/the-problem-for-obama-is-that-america-isnt-working/
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 5:46 am

It is difficult to measure the Obama administration due to an obstructionist Congress.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 5:52 am

6/9

Sorry to say this election I will not vote ! Hillary Clinton is a charlatan , scoundrel, liar,
thief and a master of manipulation, I feel sorry for Bernie, the DNC is so corrupt that now the
President and Harry Reid are desperate to get Bernie to accept Hillary ! I hope he doesn't and he
causes the convention to turn upside down ! He wants Schultz out and we all know she's good
friends with Hillary , maybe they'll throw Schultz under the bus to save Hillary ? I saw Hillary had
an interview where she states there is no FBI Investigation just an investigation doesn't concern
me ! We'll I want to be there when the FBI announces an indictment, she'll pee in her pants, she's
too cock sure of herself, she's already anointed herself and put on her crown....

Cheers........Joe....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 6:59 am

Joe, you will vote. I know you will vote.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   D. K. Christi's musings - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

D. K. Christi's musings
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next