Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

D. K. Christi's musings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:02 pm

I think the article will fit with Joe's conservative leanings; however, her total disregard for the diversity of the U.S. and a diversity of opinions period does not fit Joe, in my opinion.

Prejudice and bias are alive and well in the conservative movement and they gather specific information written by their co-believers to support their basic belief that diversity and equal opportunity and equal rights apply only to the White Anglo Saxon Protestants and their honorary acceptables.

I think MIke Pense did a wonderful job of describing the basic conservative ideals when he described his own religious doctrine as governing what he puts into law.  That's enough for me.  That is not how I believe or how this country should be legislated.  Nor was that the intention of the white landowners who founded this nation.  Funny how we all turn to them - and know full well they were imperfect and somehow created a system that has the framework to self-correct as time changes.

I believe that women are equal human beings and likely superior to the male species.  Therefore, no man should legislate the reproductive or health issues of any woman.  Therefore, any woman that wishes to keep her health choices should not vote for a conservative Republican with that power.

Nor should any man who loves and respects women, any more than legislation should be made to determine whether men remain impotent from Prostate or low testosterone or have access to men's health care.

Too many great women, yes,  - great women - have fought long and hard battles to obtain the right to wear the clothing they choose, vote for the government they choose, work in the careers they choose, have the education they choose, remain in the workplace when they are pregnant not an illnesss, and family leave, etc.  All these gains plus the right to choose their own health care options for their own personal body - how can anyone dare legislate against women to go backward on these rights?  Back to coathanger abortions?  Back to a rape is okay if its on a date mentality? Back to preventing women from voting - or working - or

And that's just women's rights.  What about those rights attained by minorities with so much to contribute to our society?  Lawyers, doctors, scientists, skilled trades people who keep everything running and yes, the farmworkers and the lawns keepers at the golf course. 

I must admit, I truly don't understand conservatives in the U.S.  I do in other countries that were not founded nor did they thrive on the "big experiment" that marks the U.S. as unique in the world.

I do not believe that another's rights are enhanced by denying me mine.  In the end, that demeans a society and scorches the souls of its residents. 

As for voting in this election?  People around the world risk their lives to vote.  You can bet I am going to vote whether it counts or not.  It is my right and privilege in a free society.  Not voting is actually voting by including a zero in the count that could have been a positive for the candidate.

I said before and I say it again, Donald Trump is a joke, a place holder, the Emperor with invisible clothing of a "candidate" but the real thinkers know he's naked.  I believe when they go to the polls and pull that curtain, they will vote for a person with credentials whether they love her or not.

You can't give Donald Trump a pass on being a scoundrel entirely and unfit for the presidency because Hillary supported her husband's career instead of pursuing her own at that critical juncture when they became a couple. Many wives do not go on to become high ranking public servants - she had the smarts to do it.

So, Hillary supported a scoundrel husband - that does not make her anything but the perfect Methodist wife saving the marriage - the perfection of conservative beliefs regarding the family - yet the hypocrits crucify her for "sticking by her man" and call it entirely self-serving.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10354
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 am

DK, you bring up many issues that continue to perplex us.  I’m currently reading an historical book about the Pennsylvania Germans.  There were multiple issues they faced in becoming Americans.  Religion played a major role in the process.  A major hurdle was getting rid of the ingrained control by the rich and powerful. Dress was often a sign of who was their “better”.  Some wanted to cling to the dictates of the British King – a major part of the revolution.  Being free meant getting rid of all shackles of conformity and starting a new life unencumbered by monarchial dictates and the various religious groups who wanted religion in government.  We have come a long way in the process of freedom and the fight continues.  Although the word or words associated with freedom tends to be seen as all encompassing, they are not.  Each freedom was fought over and that exists even to this day.  Heroic stands were made with civil rights starting with President Kennedy’s declaration on Civil Rights June 11, 1963 in his report to the American people.  A number or people associated with this declaration died for the stand they took and that included Dr. Martin Luther King.  “Justice for All” is a pursuit that continues in America.  Will it ever end?

Voting is certainly a cherished right.  Voting one’s conscious is not easy.  Voting for the lesser of two evils may be seen by some as a good path to take, I prefer a write-in vote that will satisfy the conscious and perhaps, just perhaps help with a change to our political process.  There is still much work to be done with our democratic process.  It is not a perfect system and should not be promoted as such.  It requires attention to make it better.  Complacency is no solution.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 am

so glad you are back, Abe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Well, the election is on its last legs but the Republicans are already laying their plans for another four years of doing nothing but obstructing the business of the new President.  They should all be impeached for breach of contract with the U.S. citizens that elected them to office if that is fact.  It's beginning to look like treason in my book.

Here are two scenarios.  If Hillary Clinton is elected, all the scandals that mostly relate to her scoundrel of a spouse, Bill Clinton, who is looking older in every photo shoot and has already had multiple health scares, well anyway, those "gray area" scandals that are not actually anything illegal but likely business decisions that are a matter of interpretation regarding their appropriateness for a person running for a national leader.  For any normal person, to question any of that stuff would be ludicrous - it is not illegal.  However, the very open nature of Hillary's public service leaves her every breath available for examination. Few people have lives that such a fine tooth examination would find without a skeleton or two. That doesn't mean that all her very real qualifications to be president are lacking in any way.  Unfortunately, the Republican pundits have shoveled it so much that her ability to lead and accomplish what she could bring to our benefit will suffer by all those same pundits who limit her efficacy in office.  She remains the most qualified of the two candidates in every conceivable way.  There is no comparison.

Donald Trump, if elected, will be the most unqualified and disastrous person to ever lead this nation for all reasons.  He has revealed zero tax returns and his business failures are so blatant as to be ignored by the populace.  He considers himself "the king of debt." He brags about business practices that are not just borderline illegal, but for which he has been sued hundreds of times and mostly settled.  Why is he forgiven for his "gray area" nefarious business practices and downright illegal foundation activities?  His "charity" is practically non-existent except for himself and his children by three wives.   Unfortunately, his success is on the losses of others. Since he is a singular minded person who believes only his way is the right way - his spontaneous and disconnected decisions will endanger the nation.  His only knowledge of running a government business is to pay all the politicians and buy favors. His lack of character is legion and makes Bill Clinton look like a saint if you line them up next to each other. The religious right will have free reign without the threat of veto, however, and every religious doctrinal policy they wish to jam down the throats of those of us who wish to retain the hard won freedoms by those women who came before us, will suffer the consequences.  Obamacare will be ended.  So will Medicare and Social Security as we know it.  The wealthy will remain insured, employed and comfortable while the rest of us struggle as they "work on" policies that take no taxing to support.  Public schools will disappear and schooling will disintegrate to the original elitest schools for those with money and poorest schools remaining with the poor.  The safety nets for those who suffered the worst under the depression put in place by the Bush administration, will be gone.  Food stamps will be gone.  The United Nations may have to send aid to feed our poorest children, homeless and disabled. Inner cities and infrastructure that supports the corporate non-tax paying freeloaders will continue to crumble:  airports, bridges, roads, public buildings, business services, etc. If you live where you see no poverty, you know that it's their own fault.  After all, anyone can be a Trump, right?  America for Americans?  Wake up - the world is global.  Every breath we take, every morsel we eat, every piece of cloth we wear and every job is dependent on all the pieces in the global economy.  We need our allies, our trade partners, our agreements, not as a bully but as an equal partner in the world. And we need diplomacy of the finest  variety.  We are already known as "ugly Americans" - we don't need one negotiating our deals.

Remember, Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton are open books with all their tax papers out there and if there were any secrets, they were in some quickly dashed off email that was someone's thoughts, and not necessarily actions.  The emails have been thiroughly vetted by the Congressional and legal processes of the U.S. government and now sifted through Wiki Leaks with their little enhancements specifically to throw the election so Russia can get their U.S. dumb cluck with a braggadocios mouth to walk all over.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Well, friend Abe.  If I was a Republican indoctrinated to believe that the primary goal of legislation is to end abortion, end Obamacare, end Medicare, end Social Security (I mean "privatize" with "choices" and a smaller amount), end regulations that protect the safety and security of U.S. citizens living in society and protect global corporations with free reign, etc. I would find Trump the right guy to vote for no matter how many blinders I needed to put on because I would be sure someone else like his V.P. would be running the country and all I would care about is "getting mine." 

That's the pity.  I heard a stat today that 2/3 of those employed in this nation do not have education beyond high school.  Further education usually leads to a broader scope on life and more openness to change, innovation and differences.  I saw a guy interviewed about Trump's data mining operation named "The Alamo" and when the computer guy was questioned about whether "The Alamo" was the best name for something for "winners" it was evident he didn't have a clue about the disastrous Alamo and the call to arms that resulted as "Remember the Alamo!" 

If we lack a sense of history, a sense of progress, a sense of true patriotism that puts our lives on the line for our fellow citizens by being taxed to support those less able - and are only mired in the present wants - then it's no wonder that people are taken in by a side show barker, the Emperor's New Clothes - regardless of his lack of moral turpitude, compassion or knowledge.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Chobani Products.  The next time I buy yogurt, it's Chobani.  The owner of the company, an immigrant, started with nothing and grew this magnificent company.  I say "magnificent" because even his original employees are there - among the 2000 in the ten year old company. 

Recently, he called his employees together and told them that he was gifting them 10% of the company so that they would be owners when it went public.  After all, they had made it successful and he was grateful for the opportunities provided to him by them and by this great nation.

His employees were hugging him.  I wanted to drive there and hug him too.  He is the example that corporate America should follow.  He is a fine citizen of this United States.  I am proud to share this great nation with him.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Yes, he is a good example of what an employer should be.  It is one of the things that makes the people of Denmark the happiest people.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12385
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:32 am

dkchristi wrote:
Chobani Products.  The next time I buy yogurt, it's Chobani.  The owner of the company, an immigrant, started with nothing and grew this magnificent company.  I say "magnificent" because even his original employees are there - among the 2000 in the ten year old company. 

Recently, he called his employees together and told them that he was gifting them 10% of the company so that they would be owners when it went public.  After all, they had made it successful and he was grateful for the opportunities provided to him by them and by this great nation.

His employees were hugging him.  I wanted to drive there and hug him too.  He is the example that corporate America should follow.  He is a fine citizen of this United States.  I am proud to share this great nation with him.

You can also buy Yoshida Gourmet Sauce. The founder, Junki Yoshida, is the husband of Linda, who writes under the name of Kaylin McFarren. Junki came to America in 1968 and built a successful company. I interviewed Linda on my Literature & Fiction blog, and the interview was published in the interview books. The Yoshidas set up the Soulful Giving Charity and raise thousands of dollars every year.

About Junki : 
http://www.yfintl.com/about-junki.php

About the Soulful Giving Foundation: 
http://www.soulfulgiving.org/about-us

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 am

Wouldn't it be nice if we could start a groundswell of people purchasing only from businesses that share their success with their employees and their communities - even the world.  Surely someone could put together such a compendium.  And we could avoid those businesses with a failing grades.  Sometimes it's not possible, but perhaps it could be. In Florida a small group of Mexican farm workers managed a sufficient boycott that several businesses increased what they paid to purchase Tomatoes and it improved working conditions for those picking them. 

Such a movement needs to move forward like a pond. Start with organized drops in the middle that start rolling outward until businesses with exorbitant executive benefits and barely making it workers would find we weren't banking with them anymore but rather choosing small, local banks.  Large box stores would have to improve their performance or lose out to returning mom and pop stores.

Such a dream - but in just our little group I imagine each of us know of a few companies to frequent and some to ban.  I'd start with major banks on the ban list.  They are replacing their underpaid tellers now with teller machines in the teller window.  Ugh!  The only way you get a person is by having trouble with the teller machine.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:36 am

And the Indians could have sufficient clout to save their water for future generations if we didn't use the product whose pipeline is causing them such grief. 

And we should stop drinking bottled water, the bottles the scourge of the environment (and that includes me).  Convenience is killing our environment for future generations.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:09 pm

I guess my analogy of President Donald Trump to the children's allegory, "The Emperor's New Clothes" didn't suit anyone or perhaps suited them too much.  So, the naked Emperor is now in office and shedding his suits to reveal - nothing.  He hasn't an original thought that wasn't handed to him by Steve Bannon or one of his handlers. Thus, he stumbles continuously.  Like the most recent President Bush, I cringe when President Trump begins to speak.  I know for certain it will be repetitive, destructive, full of hyperbole and without factual basis and often a downright lie - or rather "alternative facts" as found in his alternative universe.

Fortunately, he was elected by a third of the people, voted against by another third and the last third didn't vote at all.  The majority of U.S. citizens voted for Hillary Clinton and it was by algorithms and lies that Trump attained the presidency.  No wonder he is so obsessed with his numbers.  He has no mandate.  The Republican Party has no mandate.  Yet, they have the power and are wielding it to pass legislation for 100 % of the population of whom only 1/3 actually voted for him.

I warned women that they were giving away their bodies and control of their bodies to men - the last vestige of men's control and they will take it - not only for the women of this country but for those of other poor nations.  Sad. 

Elderly women will suffer next.  Children already.  A handful of men will make the rules that destroy ordinary lives while their wealthy ones provide them more than enough for a comfortable existence.  The elderly women, the children, the sick and poor - they don't have the ability or resources to fight back.  They don't have a lobby.  That's what bullies do - they trod on those who can't fight back.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm finding American politics difficult to follow. American media is full of fake news, and now we have alternative facts. Everything seems to have been derailed and reality doesn't exist. There is constant chatter but no substance to anything. "I hate Trump" and "not my president" are mantras with the only answer to "why?" is "because I do". I feel as though I've fallen down Alice in Wonderland's rabbit hole.

The reaction to Trump's remark about grabbing women by the pussy culminated in women marching down the streets, all across America, dressed as vaginas. What the ...? Have women taken leave of their senses? A cruder display of female behaviour is hard to imagine ... and yet they complained about Trump's crude language.  You couldn't make this stuff up.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:03 am

It is perplexing to watch/hear the news reports from around the world.  Although languages differ, the themes of reports are similar.  The image of America is in the toilet.  The only thing remaining is “the flush” and Trump has his hand on the handle.

I have tried to sit back and make sense of what is happening with questions unanswered:
Why do people feel they way they do?
Is it purely politics?
Is it religion?
Is it a combination of religion and politics?
Is it a change in mentality?
Is it pure greed?

When did the ideals of America begin to change? 
What caused the change?
Although change can mean progress, is the progress of change positive?
How does change affect the citizens of the country?  Is it positive or negative?
Do people simply “go along” with change because they feel it is right or are they duped?
How much of the political rhetoric is directed for appeal to the ignorant?
Is lack of education to blame?
What is a patriot?
What can one do to affect change in a positive manner?

Understanding that America is a multi-cultural mix, are there common elements that can unite them? 

I can understand the confusion that exists is searching for answers.  Opinions abound that tend to cause strife with some friends while those of like minds are drawn closer together.  Stress can be debilitating.  To withdraw from controversy may be considered a wise move to preserve one’s sanity while others may see such a move as “running away”.  I’m reminded of a business principle concerning problem-solving.  It is said that there is a solution for every problem.  Finding the solution takes time and effort.  Sometimes the solution to a problem is simply to stop (quit) and not waste time on a futile effort.  I think I’m reaching the futile point.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Funny!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

I learned next to nothing from my study of U.S. history.  It's amazing how little education that is useful we have experienced.  I find this piece inspiring and so brief - it could easily be incorporated in the history studies of every young person to inspire them to their best selves in spite of adversity.

Dissent Shall Set You Free
by T.J. Stiles

I am free to write these words, and you to read them, because of freed slaves. Without them, there would be no First Amendment as we know it.
Yes, the Founders had something to do with freedom of speech, and of press, religion, assembly, and petitioning the government. But not as directly as you probably think. The First Amendment begins, “Congress shall make no law.” In 1833, Chief Justice John Marshall took “Congress” literally in Barron v. Baltimore, a case involving the Fifth Amendment’s takings clause. Referring to the Bill of Rights as a whole, he wrote, “These amendments contain no expression indicating an intention to apply them to the State governments.” States could do as they liked.
And so many did. In New England, state support for churches persisted into the nineteenth century. Until after the Civil War, North Carolina required voters to profess faith in Christ. Southern states banned abolitionist literature and speeches. White Southern sensitivities about antislavery writings even led the postmaster general to ban them from the mail, and the U.S. House of Representatives to bar abolitionist petitions.
What breathed life into the First Amendment was a cycle of resistance, repression, and federal response, driven from the bottom up. It is a story of unintended consequences, beginning in the Civil War.
“All knew,” said Abraham Lincoln in his second inaugural address, that slavery “was somehow the cause of the war.” But neither side knew that the enslaved would take the initiative once fighting began. They conducted what historian Steven Hahn calls the greatest slave rebellion in history, to the astonishment of Southern whites. African Americans fled to Union lines, aided federal forces, and fought as soldiers. They progressively destroyed slavery in actual practice. Lincoln was a great man, but his Emancipation Proclamation followed where black people led.
After the Confederate defeat, many whites assumed that Southern society would be restored, minus only the legal technicality of slavery. Lincoln’s successor, President Andrew Johnson, declared, “White men alone must manage the South.” He did not consider it a controversial opinion.
But African Americans asserted themselves, personally and publicly. Black veterans returned home and refused to act like slaves. Freed people defied old masters. They left plantations to look for work and family, and organized schools for themselves as well as their children. They received support from Northerners such as Carrie Highgate, a black woman from Syracuse, New York. She lost a brother in battle during the war; afterward, she, her mother, and three siblings went to Mississippi to teach in the face of white hostility. Still other African Americans organized local political clubs, held mass meetings, and petitioned Congress.
Startled, white Southerners responded with repression. State governments authorized by President Johnson passed “black codes,” continuing many aspects of slavery. The Ku Klux Klan and similar groups killed or terrorized black leaders. In 1866, the police in Memphis clashed with black veterans and stormed black neighborhoods; in New Orleans, police assaulted a black political procession. Both incidents produced enormous casualties. From Kentucky to Louisiana, African Americans pleaded for federal protection.
Most Yankees were not racial egalitarians, but it infuriated them that former rebels could crush loyal blacks with impunity. President Johnson vetoed every bill that was intended to shield former slaves. But his intransigence, and Southern violence, united Republicans and pushed them further than they had ever imagined. They enacted Radical Reconstruction, a revolutionary program of political racial equality.
The Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Freedmen’s Bureau Reauthorization, the Reconstruction Acts, the Enforcement Acts: This was the invention of civil rights, civil-rights enforcement, and the principle of race-neutral citizenship. African Americans became voters, jurors, state legislators, even congressmen and senators. The federal government enforced individual rights for the first time, prosecuting civil-rights and voter-suppression offenses.
It would not last, of course. In 1877, wartime belligerence had cooled, and Northern voters and politicians gave up on Reconstruction. It would take the civil rights movement of the twentieth century to revive it. But Congressional Republicans of the 1860s wrote their new principles into the Constitution. In the Fourteenth Amendment, they established a universal definition of citizenship, and guaranteed individual rights and equal protection of the law. This was more than a matter of racial equality, important as that was. It also turned the Constitution into an effective charter of civil liberties. John A. Bingham, perhaps the primary author of the amendment, told the House of Representatives that it “was simply a proposition to arm the Congress of the United States, by the consent of the people, with power to enforce the Bill of Rights.”
This was a clear statement that the drafters intended this amendment to apply the Bill of Rights to state as well as federal law. But the courts declined to recognize this doctrine of “incorporation,” as it’s called, for decades. Then, in 1920, New York state convicted a radical socialist named Benjamin Gitlow of publishing a tract that called for the overthrow of the government. The American Civil Liberties Union appealed his case to the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that the Fourteenth Amendment guaranteed his freedom of speech. In 1925, the court upheld his conviction, earning a dissent from Union army veteran Oliver Wendell Holmes—but it agreed with the ACLU’s argument about the Fourteenth Amendment and freedom of speech, and adopted the incorporation doctrine.
I think of this history when I write, when I challenge orthodoxy, when I challenge my own assumptions in my work. I am free because the poorest, the most oppressed, the most discontented in American society resisted. We are all free because the enslaved refused to be slaves, because the freed insisted on freedom, because uneducated, landless, and derided African Americans forced the nation to react to their struggle. Then, after that victory fell dormant, a left-wing revolutionary and his ACLU lawyers demanded that it be reawakened. The comfortable do not feel the limits of their freedom, and the conventional do not test them. It falls to slaves and radicals to free us all.

T.J. Stiles is a member of the Authors Guild Council. He has received the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for History, the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Biography, a 2011 Guggenheim fellowship, and a 2009 National Book Award for Nonfiction.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Thank you DK for this historical information.  We continue to learn and we do that by digging into the past to understand the present.  Just yesterday I watched a video on FB about the Slave Trade, posted by Philip Taylor.  I shared it on my time line.  It reveals much that was not made available in the history books we studied in school.  The source(s) of this information is credible. 
There is much information being presented in the media, especially in the social media, that is misleading or politically slanted.  We are encouraged to share information with friends.  We often do so in good faith without fact-checking.  Event the fact-checking sources can be suspect.  Historical facts are available if we dig deep enough.  Scholarly sources are more credible.  The facts of history cannot be denied and eventually become known.  “History in the making” is the most difficult to ascertain. We tend to speculate based on our input.  I find that the input we receive on a daily basis is confusing and cause for much frustration.  Our past experience along with our present exposure to events tends to form the conclusions we reach.  Sharing these conclusions is a risk.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:42 am

I get up in the morning and walk 2 miles at the beach.  I enjoy the turtles and the porpoise, an occasional bald eagle or osprey, squirrels, raccoons and more.  Usually I have an interview for the newspaper and some writing.  I have errands with mom.  If I am lucky I lunch or happy hour with a friend.  Sundays include church.  I spend part of Saturday, today, preparing for my little 3 minutes talk. I've had too many physician visits lately - time consuming and co-payment costly.  I shop for some medical issues for the best price and skip some that would make my life longer because the co-costs are still to high. I shuffle my limited income and bills around as best I can.  I apply for a few jobs.  I visit with mom.  I watch a chosen television show if there is one.  I go to my exercise class several times a week.  I put gas in the car, buy groceries, clean house, cook, garden a little.  I have zero money for spending - not a movie, not a real meal (dinner salad if lunch out - $3.00 half-price appetizers at happy hour with water) and so accumulate no things.  Once the bills are paid, the food is bought and the car has gas, that's the end. 

And so, with a fixed income from meager savings, a small pension and reduced Social Security, I have a roof over my head and daily necessities met.  I have too much debt because I attempted to help a family member and didn't stop before I was sinking in debt.  I worked 51 years and paid plenty in to the systems that were to protect me in old age.  I had lean years and comfortable years.  Today, they are lean.

I'm not affected by the stock market's success.  I could be affected by changes to Medicare or Social Security.  Rising interest rates will affect me negatively.  I assume the non co-pay medical screenings that came for Medicare with Obamacare are not in the new Republican joke, I mean health care spoof.

But in my little daily world the fact that the President tells lies as easily as he breathes and has no regrets when discovered and is taking the nation in splintered directions with no moral compass - well, so what?  I'll be dead in 20 - 30 years and how much damage can he do that will impact me personally?

I believe all the negative things said about him including connections to Russia, the dossier that includes sexual acts in Russian hotels that might be distressing, his bigotry, racism and lack of respect for anyone, really, except some strange connection to Steve Bannon who seems able to pull his strings - and must have something on Trump to have such power over him.

For the President, it's all a game.  He knows, like Flynn knew, that his days are numbered but luck and connections worked for him in the past and he figures on his luck and sheer ability to do whatever he wants without consequences because he is rich (maybe) and powerful.  Some people feel threatened by him.  He's fat, certainly has planted hair, bought 3 wives and poor Melania is on her last leg and probably worrying about getting her $billions before she's dumped - this presidency thing doesn't seem to please her at all. I know many businessmen - they are honest people who pay their bills, care about their employees and communities, and follow a moral compass.  Of course, they are in my circle of acquaintances - Trump and his ilk are not.

So those people without my simple, comfortable, daily routine - those struggling with poverty, lack of education, lack of housing, inner city entrapment, poor health, disabilities, lack of work, no health care, single parents, three-job workers, elderly women, people suffering in prisons, people suffering from unfair treatment - and businesses that wish to be contributing members of communities - and the natural habitats of this earth that are threatened by profiteering and greed - and up and coming workers and generations with hope for their future and the future of their families - well, tough luck.  The man cannot tell the truth.  He fed his voters lies and they ate them all the way to the polls.  They are still eating them.  He "ain't goin' to help no one but himself or someone who in turn helps him.  It ain't you."

I'm rationing my quantity of news.  It's too much like watching Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or Star Trek - it's beyond belief in this nation of experiments that worked so well until this charlatan came into office.

He's not to blame.  We are.  We who couldn't articulate how well the nation was doing after the mess President Obama cleaned up best he could with no help and the proper path we were following to do even better - for all the nation - not just a privileged few.  We told the truth but not everyone listened.  They wanted to believe the Celebrity instead.  He lied. He continues to lie. 

But me, I walk on the beach, breath fresh air, listen to the birds and enjoy the camaraderie of an eclectic group of friends who think, who attempt to tell the truth as they perceive it and have a variety of political viewpoints.  I just have to quit catching the news reports. His lies and those who ignore them make me ill.  I can't afford the high cost of medical care.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:40 am

Diane.  Your report is perplexing.  I wish I knew how to relieve the pain you must feel.  I believe there are others just as exasperated as you.  Reading your report makes me realize how fortunate I am and sad at the same time. 
Many are waiting until the next election to vote the self-serving greedy people out of office.  Unfortunately, some of the citizens will not survive until the next election.  I'm certain that if I still lived in the States both my wife and I would either be dead or destitute waiting for death as a relief.  My circumstance should make me feel good, but it actually gives me a guilt feeling.  When I read and hear the plight of friends and relatives that are in a similar situation as you, knowing it could be better, it makes me angry.  I'm angry that a country that flaunts itself as being the greatest nation on earth does not provide for the citizens of that country.  Most western democracies, including Canada, provide for their citizens.  Democratic socialism is needed.  Only one candidate in the last election proposed a program to help the citizens.  The greed, typical of capitalism, has brought our country to its knees.  The current person occupying the office of President is tearing our country apart.  There are real concerns that affect us all.  The environment is a great concern and the health of the citizens is related to the environment.  There are other concerns such as education that needs upgraded. 
We are in a fight for our survival as humans.  War means killing.  Spending money on the military for “so-called” defense is nuts.  What will we be defending?  Will defending an ideology save our lives?  There is the plight of refugees who want to survive and seek shelter.  The countries that created the problem causing the refugee crisis don’t want to take them.  They are either the wrong color or profess the wrong religion.  Professing a religion is meaningless unless the actions match the profession.  Nothing new about that from an historical standpoint. 
Hang in there, Diane.  Continue to do what you feel in your heart is right.  Your struggle is our struggle.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8193
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:04 am

3/12

DK..

Have you thought of joining a local senior center ? Here we have four, a friend took
me one day , Lunch is $.150 as a member ( Membership is free ) it's a meal like you would cook
at home, the gym is modern and free plus they have all kinds of classes for painting, jewelry, etc.
Check it out and let me know what you find out..

Cheers......Joe..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Thank you Joe for the ideas.  So far my newspaper writing keeps me hopping and also benefits me by putting me in contact with new people and places of interest.  The beach and the swamp are always wonderful and my friends are a blessing to.  I do the reading at church on Sundays and my church is a great place to think about why we are really here - and life is so short compared to whatever eternity their may or may not be that thought I am troubled about the world and sometimes my own situation, I have had a full and magnificent life and a simple life today has its own gifts.

I do miss the lively conversations among the many members of this board that seem to have disappeared either in death or to Facebook.  I appreciate our little group that remains and the support we provide to each other we face new challenges.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 am

Staying busy is good therapy.  I find that keeping my mind occupied with things other than the emminent disasters being forecasted allows me to focus on the good things we have.
FB allows me to share or agree with others of like minds.  Having the ability to accept or reject helps with ones sanity.  The decision to speak out against injustice, wherever that occurs, gives me the feeling that I am doing "something".  It is comforting to know that others share my feelings. 

We all have issues that we tend to keep to ourselves and unloading can be a relief.  One can do that with friends provided that these friends lend an ear without judgement.  I recall a fellow Airman that I would go to when I had problems.  He would listen and the only thing he would do or say was, "uhuh, wow, damm,"  He never told me I was wrong or right nor did he offer advice.  When I left him I felt better and thanked him for his help.  Having someone to "just listen" is good.  I suppose that is why many pay a psychologist when they need someone to "listen". 

As parents, it is diffcult to "just listen".  We tend to offer advice especially when we either experienced a similar situation and/or what to shield them from making a mistake.  Giving advice only when asked for it is difficult.  I'm still working on that. 

Have a good day wherever you are.  My day is just beginning.  The projects I have that involve working in the garden, going to visit my wife in the hospital, deciding what I will make for dinner, etc., keeps me occupied.  I'm still trying to develop the habit of writing things down.  Trying to remember things is an unnecessary burden realizing that my short-term memory is flawed.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 am

Hubby and I watch the news twice per day:  Morning Joe and Chris Matthews.  That is all  we can stand of Trump.

Last edited by alice on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes, Abe, offering advice is difficult. My brother-in-law lost his wife to ovarian cancer fourteen years ago. He remarried seven years ago and lost his second wife to the same disease in January this year. Currently, he is considering selling his home and moving into an apartment. We can see both the advantages and disadvantages but are reluctant to say anything that will put doubt in his mind. He has gone through enough without being burdened with the fear of what to do next for the best. We are waiting patiently to hear his own doubts on his future before we offer our opinion.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 am

Shelagh, I think you are doing the right thing by allowing him to make his own decision(s).  One can lend support and more importantly, lend an ear.  It is strange how we can resolve our own problems when we can talk it out.  There are emotional issues that can cloud ones judgement, i.e, the death of his wives.  He had to deal with the death of two wives.  I can't even imagine what he must have gone through and hope I never have to deal with that. 
When we think about our own problems it is wise to consider that others have issues that may be even worse than out own.  As I began my yard work (trimming trees) I talked with my neighbor.  She said that her husband was taken by ambulande to the hospital on tuesday.  He couldn't breathe and by the time the attendants arrived, damage was done.  He is in a coma and the dorctor said that he wouldn't be returning home and that the family should be prepared.  With tears in her eyes, she was distraught.  I stopped what I was doing realizing that nothing in the yard was important enough to cause another heart problem.  This incident may have helped me avoid a serious situation.  When I start a task it is in my psyche to finish the job and go beyond what my body can handle.  I decided last night to do a little at a time and not push it and if the work doesn't get done, it doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   

Back to top Go down

D. K. Christi's musings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: