Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

D. K. Christi's musings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10220
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 am

Good post, Diane.  Believing or quoting anything from the Old Testament that would apply today is, IMV, nuts.  If one claims to be a Christian, then the New Testament is applicable.  Unfortunately, those who claim to be Christian don't follow that either except when it suits their agenda. 
Reader comments associated with that website were interesting.

I made a post with a website concerning the truth about slavery.  No comments on that.  Slavery was also condoned in the Bible, especially the Old Testament.  Those who want to live and believe ancient stories should not try to press their beliefs or interpretations on others.  Since ancient times we learned that the world is round and that the universe is still expanding.  Let's hope that our minds expand accordingly.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8586
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 pm

I was without words to comment on the information about slavery - and Shelagh's pointed flash fiction story. Heart breaking that the human condition should be so and that humans treat others so heinous.  As a friend of mine says, he is the guardian of his dogs, not their owner.  Sentient life is not owned but rather cared for and cherished.  It has its own life purpose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Thu May 19, 2016 4:40 pm

I just lost a very good post about Donald Trump and the Emperor's New Clothes.  I guess the readers will have to let their imaginations determine what I wrote and how the two are related.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12305
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat May 21, 2016 6:51 am

The appointment of Barbara Satin to serve on Obama's Advisory Council on Faith-Based Neighborhood Partnerships is the story of Red Riding Hood.

http://www.allenbwest.com/derrick-wilburn/obama-appoints-trans-person-to-major-role

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat May 21, 2016 1:57 pm

No one asked my sexual orientation for my entire career.  Since it has nothing to do with my competence, I appreciate that no one asked.  That's how it should apply to all people.  However, when people are denied their human dignity it may take a bit of chaos before things even back to normal where it's one's competence on the job that matters, not one's gender.  Women should understand that issue completely.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat May 21, 2016 1:59 pm

The two situations have nothing in common.  Donald Trump has perpetrated a  hoax on the U.S. citizens.  Many people realize this, but to keep from losing his favor they will go along. Sad.

Last edited by dkchristi on Tue May 24, 2016 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat May 21, 2016 6:13 pm

dkchristi wrote:
No one asked my sexual orientation for my entire career.  Since it has nothing to do with my competence, I appreciate that no one asked.  That's how it should apply to all people.  However, when people are denied their human dignity it may take a bit of chaos before things even back to normal where it's one's competence on the job that matters, not one's gender.  Women should understand that issue completely.

Apart from the wolf dressing up as grandma, the analogy to the story is not about sexual orientation; the wolf was dressing to hide his true intentions, not as an expression of how he saw himself. Barbara Satin separated from his wife and children so that he could live his life dressed as a woman. The reason for the separation is not important, and the fact that one in three marriages break down is not relevant. Most religions are forgiving of divorcees among their congregation, but expect religious leaders to keep to their marriage vows. Barbara Satin's women's clothes do not conceal the fact that he is a divorced man. Just one of many examples of Obama's lack of judgment.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 9:41 am

x

Last edited by dkchristi on Tue May 24, 2016 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : controversial)
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 10:23 am

Regarding Donald Trump and the Emperor's New Clothes.  The tale isn't perfect, but it does show why intelligent people, men and women, are fooled by the power afforded wealth and fame exercised by a person who spent his life building an image that makes wealth the measure of all things. Those with it deserve their power, those without it deserve their poverty.  It makes life simple for the simple minded. Whether Mr. Trump has ever accomplished anything that will benefit this country or has the knowledge and abilities required for national and global leadership, his faults have been clearly delineated and ignored.

The Emperor was so in love with himself that he needed the ultimate proof of his perfection to be certain his subjects worshiped him as well. He was more in love with his wardrobe than with the affairs of state. Thus he ordered a suit of clothes that would set him above all other Emperors.  However, his tailors knew the true self-serving and narcissistic nature of their Emperor and planned a trick.  "We will make you a suit of magic clothes that will prove your power," they said.  "The fabric will be invisible to those whose hearts have treason or whose minds are stupid.  Only those who worship you and have wisdom will be able to see it in all its richness." 

The trumpeters announced to the Kingdom the news of the magic cloth and that all who saw it were faithful and wise and would receive alms from the Emperor but those who could not see it were simple-minded and would lose their heads.

The great day came and the Tailors mimed dressing the Emperor with the finished silks and brocades trimmed in gold and jewels that they praised in detail, with the Emperor repeating their descriptions. The design of the garment was trumpeted to the Kingdom where the subjects lined up in expectation of seeing their emperor but also in fear that they might not see and therefore lose their head while their neighbor received alms. 

The chariot moved forward with the Emperor with the trumpeters louder than ever.  A hush went over the Kingdom then shouts of praise spread across the crowds as each convinced their neighbor that they, indeed, saw the beautiful garments and were therefore wise and a likely recipient of the riches of the Crown.  They described to each other each garment in detail just as they had been told the new garments would look.  They convinced each other that they saw the ostentatious new robes.

Last edited by dkchristi on Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 11:05 am

When I see women praising Donald Trump it reminds me of the cults where the leader has the followers so convinced of his (usually a man) infallibility that they will follow him even to death.  The women will allow themselves to be married off at puberty, dress is uncomfortable clothing, live according to the dictates of the men in the cult with no rights or thoughts of their own allowed - and they will still praise the leader.  These are women often of high intelligence, capable of reasoning and very difficult to re program when they leave the cult existence.

This is a better world when the rights and beliefs of all human residents of this planet are valued, none more important than any other.  Women have fought long and hard to take control of their own bodies so that they are not raped without consequences and so they can terminate pregnancies without using coat hangers and flinging themselves down a flight of stairs.  They have the right to vote, the right to work, the right to choose childbirth. Yet, the ultra conservatives throughout the U.S. are bringing back laws to remove these rights.

A vote for Donald Trump by any woman is a vote to deny all women the right to make decisions about their own bodies, their own  health, their choices of employment, their rights to equal treatment and equal pay, their rights to love and be loved, their rights to be gainfully employed, their rights to share child rearing.

And every right denied a woman is a right denied to a man's beloved wife, his mother, his sister and his daughters.  The nation is a broken place when any citizen is not able to contribute their full potential.  

Behind most successful men are women.  They remove the burden's of providing repetitive every day comforts: sexual, food, a comfortable shelter, clothing selection, social graces, psychology services, intellectual counsel - whether she be a wife, a nurse, a secretary, an employee or a mistress - women soften the lives of men at every turn while a woman's own energy is reduced . Shared responsibilities provide for the full potential of all. Of course, this varies in any man/woman experience.  But it frees men to rise to power and wealth, leaving behind the women who got them there - the men picking up new "helpers" along the way.

A woman who manages to lead, to have a meaningful and powerful career, does not have that cushion of feminine nurturing.  She has to do it with grit, intelligence, perseverance, and a strength that puts most men to shame.  And every misstep is recorded and held against her as "a woman" while men steal, behave immorally, treat people with disdain and lack of respect, and those issues are totally ignored by measuring their success by the monetary measure that a Donald Trump has turned into a cult draw - See me, see my wealth, see my pretty wives, see my pretty daughter - ignore all that I have done to get these things because I am a man and am entitled to my indiscretions and aggressive push to the top - I am a man so it's all okay.  And women are letting him get away with it!

I see women on Facebook make fun of Secretary Clinton's voice!  A voice that is that of a female without the commanding strength that is a product of testosterone (just note the boys choir that loses it's members at puberty).  So, she must push that voice and because she must prove herself a leader right now, though she has been a leader for many years, she has to be heard, day after day in an arena of booming Trumpeting.  The man never shuts up.

I see women on Facebook talk about Bill Clinton's sexual mistakes.  How about those of Donald Trump?  Why do you think Donald Trump is on his third marriage?  Because he showed fidelity to two wives?  Hillary Clinton did the Christian thing and forgave her husband and saved the marriage and home for their daughter and the nation.  She should be put on a pedestal. Many is the time I have advised friends to forgive - because the next man they spend time with has likely committed the same unforgivable behaviors and that's why he's available.  Might as well forgive the known than delve into the unknown.  I'm often correct. I am not discounting women's behaviors - but they are seldom forgiven.

Women get things done.  Men talk and talk and talk and do nothing.  The Republican Congress and their obstructionism is the best example.  What a waste of taxpayer money.  Women would never allow for such waste (in general, unless they are part of the "man cult.")

The reason much may be found to say about Hillary Clinton is because she has accomplished so much - and in comparison to her accomplishment list, any errors she has made are small.  She is, in fact, human.  I wish she  had the luxury of giving her voice a rest, of speaking into a microphone in small groups where her kindness shows.  Because she is a woman, any appearance of strength is considered aggressive while a man is considered a leader.

Women are working against themselves when they vote for Donald Trump.  They are voting against the rights of all the women to follow.  They are allowing the religious right and ultra conservatives to dictate their way of life that frees men to do as they please with no consequences. Religion is a choice in the U.S., not a law. 

Women who vote for Trump are allowing all the accomplishments of the last eight years to be destroyed just because we have a black president who is moral, intelligent, thoughtful, and will go down in history as one of the most accomplished presidents in spite of total obstructive behavior and non work by the Congress.  Bless President Obama for the insurance - so many people I know have not dissolved into impoverishment and have been treated for diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and more.  Women no longer pay higher insurance premiums.  Bless him for the rising economy and all that he tried to do for infrastructure that is crumbling because the Congress wouldn't let him. 

How dare Donald Trump run on Make America Great again and talk against all the people that have made the United States great already - the country everyone is trying to get in.  If it's so bad, Mr. Trump, then get in line with those trying to get out - it's a very short line and mostly those who wish to evade paying taxes - simpatico.

If there's one thing I know, however, it's that people are blinded by their affiliations and their fears.  Once a conservative Republican, ears are closed to all but Foxisms from the channel that said they are free to lie, there is no rule against creating their own half-truths and feeding them to the public.  The public is free to do their own fact-checking.  Yet people continue to swallow the lies and half-truths as every news bit is rewritten with nuanced language that feeds to fears and baser instincts of bias and hate.

Women, we are the peacemakers, the homemakers, the nurturers and the teachers.  We are capable leaders.  Let us work together to ferret out those that spread hate and dissension and division.  Let us open our ears and our eyes and our brains to understand the Madison Avenue approach exploited by Donald Trump - a face, a suit of clothes and no substance.  Ask him about policy and he says Bill Clinton is a rapist.  My mother taught me better.  Trump was born with a silver spoon and apparently good parents but wealth doesn't make class.  Class comes from understanding.  Wealth gives the appearance of class because others value wealth.  However, real class makes no distinctions and is all about proper treatment of all persons, regardless of who they are or where they are from.  Donald Trump has no class.

Last edited by dkchristi on Tue May 24, 2016 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 11:31 am

Just a note - these are my musings and I claim the right to change my thoughts as I get new information.  I also plan to delete these political postings in 24 hours because I live in fear of the crazies that have been aroused by the hateful words of Donald Trump.  The stuff on Facebook alone is frightening.  I will not post political there any longer.

However, I cannot in good conscience acquiesce to the the lies and subterfuge that surrounds the Trump campaign for the presidency.  I am ashamed that my country has come to the point where a person's political affiliation will allow them to vote for this incompetent pretender. When he says he wants to "Make America great again," I imagine the Canadians and the Central and South Americans shudder. This is not their election, it is the election of the United States of America. 

Someone said when good people stay silent, evil prevails.

I believe we are a great country with great accomplishments and great mistakes.  We have done horrid things and continue to do horrid things in the name of progress and profits.  Yet, there are many people struggling to accomplish great things against great odds and to the benefit of the maximum number of U.S. Citizens.  I want them in office.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 11:43 am

dkchristi wrote:
You lost me in this trans discussion.  My understanding is that President Obama provided an answer to requests from school districts who did not know what to do in all fairness with the trans bathroom issue becoming a widespread concern thanks to one state's issues.  Therefore, the instructions that made an attempt to prevent discrimination and embarrassment for students already living lives of a specific gender.

"Now the whole nation is in a pitched battle over bathroom access, with the Obama administration ordering all public schools to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms of their choice. Across the country, religious conservatives are rebelling. On Friday, lawmakers in Oklahoma became the latest group to protest, proposing one measure to effectively overturn the order, and another calling for President Obama to be impeached over it.

How a clash over bathrooms, an issue that appeared atop no national polls, became the next frontier in America’s fast-moving culture wars — and ultimately landed on the desk of the president — involves an array of players, some with law degrees, others still in high school.

The sweeping directive to public schools seemed to come out of nowhere. In fact, it was the product of years of study inside the government and a highly orchestrated campaign by advocates for gay and transgender people. Mindful of the role “Whites Only’’ bathrooms played in the civil rights battles of more than half a century ago, they have been maneuvering behind the scenes to press federal agencies, and ultimately Mr. Obama, to address a question that has roiled many school districts: Should those with differing anatomies share the same bathrooms?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/us/transgender-bathroom-obama-schools.html?ref=topics

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 11:51 am

You will find this interesting DK (posted on facebook by a literature professor friend of mine):
https://www.sott.net/article/313177-The-cult-of-ignorance-in-the-United-States-Anti-intellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-of-America

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sun May 22, 2016 12:22 pm

You are right.  Thank you for bringing this very well written article to my attention.  I have long felt this dumbing down was happening but I don't know the answer to correcting it.  Intellectuals were once revered - I had wealthy friends that joked they kept me around as their "starving professor" friend for intellectual stimulation.  They haven't said that in years. In fact, now that I'm not a Republican they won't let me speak at all.  "We'd rather stay friends than talk about that" comes out before any chance at dialogue.

I copied this piece:

We're creating a world of dummies. Angry dummies who feel they have the right, the authority and the need not only to comment on everything, but to make sure their voice is heard above the rest, and to drag down any opposing views through personal attacks, loud repetition and confrontation.

The article was written a year ago and could not have been more prophetic when applied to the campaigns whether it is advertising a new product or a new politician - it's all the same - appealing to the lowest, most ignorant, common denominator.

What I don't know is if this applies just to the U.S. or if it applies to other nations as well.  I know that revolutions tend to demean the intellectuals even making a point of killing them off - and many nations have been through revolutions.

I do think, however, that the U.S. not having a King or Queen to worship or a Monarchy has exchanged that for sports figure and movie star and rock star worship.  But, yikes, then there are the "reality star" people who are nothing and get famous and rich for just existing on a television and saying dramatic things.  I don't think there is any reality show that emphasizes the importance of knowledge, hah.

Remember all the science fiction movies where they burned the books so there would be no other information except that provided by the state?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am

America has lost the ability to distinguish between a boy and a girl. Black is white and white is black; there is no grey area. If you think that you are not a boy, then you must be a girl. If you think that you are not a girl, then you must be a boy. Anyone who opposes this view is shouted down and called a bigot. Everyone is either one sex or the other, and what's more, anyone can chose to be the sex he/she wants to be; it is a civil right, no less. How did America fall for this twisted ideology? "Gender identity" is the biggest fraud ever perpetrated by the medical profession, and the American public bought into it, hook, line and sinker.

Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8154
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Mon May 23, 2016 2:14 pm

5/23

Like I've said before Chris Jenner is not a woman ! She or he if you want to call
him that is still a man in many people's eyes he hasn't had his you know what surgically 
removed, he as far as I'm concerned mixed up, I believe people who think or feel that they
are another sex has to do with hormones men and women have both male and female 
hormones some have more female hormones than male hormones I believe Jenner has more
female hormones than male that's why he thinks or believes he's a woman. Now as far as
the bathroom issue goes I believe Pres. Obama should keep his hands out of it, but then again
he has this arrogant attitude and I believe it can only be resolved by making one single bathroom
wether your male or female please keep the women out of the men's room and the men out of the
women's room....

Cheers.......Joe..
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Mon May 23, 2016 3:10 pm

I agree, Joe.

Bruce Jenner was linked to steroid use at the time he won the Olympic gold medal. Drugs were relatively new back then and there was no testing. We know a great deal more about prolonged steroid use, which can replace men's natural testosterone and produce an imbalance between the levels of estrogen and testosterone. This can have a feminising effect, particularly the deveolopment of breasts in the male chest area. The feminisation can make middle aged and older men think that they are turning into women.

The amount of attention the transgender community receives is out of all proportion to its size.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Mon May 23, 2016 3:40 pm

I think the subject of sexual orientation is a deep  intellectual and psychological one that deserves more than a media and Facebook blathering.  Some people are very affected by their confusion and a general lack of knowledge on the subject makes it worse.  I believe the sexual confusion creates self-hate for many and suicide as the only way out sometimes. One state in the U.S. started all this nonsense that led to other state superintendents of education requesting guidance from the feds.  The guidance was just that, guidance.  As with any federal guidance, flagrant abuse of a citizen's rights can lead to pulling federal funding. However, the guidance was initiated because it was requested, not a desire on the part of the President to be heavy handed.

As for Bruce Jenner, that's show business.  He figured out a way to use what Shelagh's analysis probably related to - his own sexual confusion - to make money. Otherwise, he was dependent on the women in his life to support him.  What a person is sexually is not my purview to figure out.  I have been in restroom stalls when I was sure a man was in the one next to me.  I just remained until I was sure he had left. A friend of mine was in a restroom and an appearing as man came in and she said, "get the H out until I'm finished."  Oh well, we each have our path in life.

I posted my solution on Facebook.  Other nations don't have the problem - their public bathrooms are already unisex.  People already bathe in some countries in public baths.  They have their own sex identification issues but theirs aren't in the media during a presidential campaign.  I say make it private for everyone with doors.  End of subject.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am

A good thread.  Much thought put into the postings.  Sex is a subject that affects many facets of our lives.  In DK’s post she said: “Behind every successful man there is a woman.”  I believe that to be true, however that woman is not always his wife.  It is said that every successful man has a mistress and that mistress is his job.  This can cause conflict between the home and one’s career   fortunately, not all people have the same motivation to succeed.  There are those who just “want to be happy” without knowing what happiness is.  Happiness is not the same for everyone.  It is further said that the most successful people are highly-sexed.  Sex can be a positive or negative drive.  Permissiveness is varied depending on the country or culture.  In my experience, America has exploited sex and at the same time made it subject to be avoided.  Now we see that “Potty” issues have taken the spotlight.  What toilet to use based on gender is now the focus.  A woman nursing her child in public has become another issue.  When a child is hungry, it is normal to dig out the bottle and shove the nipple in the child’s mouth.  Why should a child being nursed from mother’s milk be deprived of food?  If someone doesn’t want to see the nursing of a child, they don’t have to look.  When I was a kid, breast-feeding was a common sight – even in church.  On the other hand, toilet issues were something to hide.  Instead of using language as “I must go pee”  they would say, “I must do Number One”.  Number Two was the preferred reference to taking a Crap.  Bodily functions occur with all life-forms.  Those of us who lived on a farm became accustomed to seeing bodily functions of animals as well as reproductive actions, however when it comes to humans, society decides what is acceptable.  I recall my first exposure to open Latrines while in the military where twenty to thirty commodes were in the open.  When the need to go was urgent, privacy was not an option.  Adjustment/acceptance is not always a choice.  When we realize that we have the same bodily functions, regardless of gender, that is a good first step.  The difference between male and female are known.  Breasts define a female and we know what they are designed to do.  Deciding to change one’s sex orientation is IMV, nuts.  We are all unique even though we possess similar traits/characteristics.  Our upbringing and culture plays a significant role in how we view the actions of others as well as how we conduct ourselves.  Trying to place everyone into the same mold doesn’t work realizing that we are “unique”.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue May 24, 2016 1:53 am

Shelagh wrote:
dkchristi wrote:
You lost me in this trans discussion.  My understanding is that President Obama provided an answer to requests from school districts who did not know what to do in all fairness with the trans bathroom issue becoming a widespread concern thanks to one state's issues.  Therefore, the instructions that made an attempt to prevent discrimination and embarrassment for students already living lives of a specific gender.

"Now the whole nation is in a pitched battle over bathroom access, with the Obama administration ordering all public schools to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms of their choice. Across the country, religious conservatives are rebelling. On Friday, lawmakers in Oklahoma became the latest group to protest, proposing one measure to effectively overturn the order, and another calling for President Obama to be impeached over it.

How a clash over bathrooms, an issue that appeared atop no national polls, became the next frontier in America’s fast-moving culture wars — and ultimately landed on the desk of the president — involves an array of players, some with law degrees, others still in high school.

The sweeping directive to public schools seemed to come out of nowhere. In fact, it was the product of years of study inside the government and a highly orchestrated campaign by advocates for gay and transgender people. Mindful of the role “Whites Only’’ bathrooms played in the civil rights battles of more than half a century ago, they have been maneuvering behind the scenes to press federal agencies, and ultimately Mr. Obama, to address a question that has roiled many school districts: Should those with differing anatomies share the same bathrooms?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/us/transgender-bathroom-obama-schools.html?ref=topics

DK stoically refuses to accept that the directive was not because of the action of a single state. It is this refusal to accept fact in favour of opinion that plagues America today. DK openly admits to knowing very little about the topic, but still feels that she has a right to form and voice her opinion. One thing we are in agreement about: this whole thing is complete and utter nonsense and wastes everyone's time, and yet it is the one defining moment of the eight years of Obama's term in office. Bathrooms will become his abiding legacy.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue May 24, 2016 4:23 am

I did say in another post that one state's actions created the media event.  I am careful to distinguish my opinions. As a journalist I have a keen appreciation for truth and sources for opinions and facts.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue May 24, 2016 6:42 am

Today I am concerned again about water.  The city of Flint, Michigan has suffered and continues to suffer from lead tainted water at immensely high levels.  The total incompetency in correcting the situation has many causes - but continues.  While their plight continues, every water system in the nation is checking for lead and claiming bad pipes drawing media attention to a widespread issue instead of concentrating on the do-little situation in Flint.  Flint's water was purposefully changed from clean water to bad water that destroyed the entire pipe system throughout the city and to every water using building and through those buildings and their water using equipment.  The enormous consequences of a purposeful government act followed by bureaucratic incompetency are being diminished by saying, "hey, the rest of the cities in the U.S. need help too because our pipes are deteriorating."
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue May 24, 2016 6:54 am

My second water issue is the Gulf Coast of Southwest Florida that once had some of the most pristine beaches in the world - always in the top 10 destinations for beaches on some list. In recent years, algae blooms that poison the fish and the air have increased.  Finally, the water flowing down the river in dumps from Lake Okeechobee made the water along the coastline so black that government officials had to admit it was full of algae blooms, fertilizers, pesticides and waste in general that result from the runoff of agriculture around Lake Okeechobee.  In my opinion and that of many citizens in the area, the main culprit has been U.S. Sugar.  They have been running full page adds lately denying their culpability and passing the buck to the old "multiple historical reasons."  They benefited from the use of the Everglades River of Grass to farm instead of let it filter our massive underground water aquifer.  They benefited from the immense profits from farming sugar cane, one of the worst crops for the destruction of the earth and air around them.  Now, they need to put their money into fixing the dike of Lake Okeechobee and the construction of whatever water system is needed to save our rivers and our Gulf coast onto which they dumped their poison. The fact that they have reduced that poison is insignificant.  Now they will sell some of that land to taxpayers to renovate - isn't that good of them? Renovating what they have destroyed is not the job of the taxpayer, it is their abuse and their responsibility to pay for the cleanup.  Unfortunately,it may be too late. Once the ecosystem of the waterways and the ocean's coastline is altered, that alteration may be permanent. Swimming in Southwest Florida's Gulf is no longer possible for those that knew the Gulf before the runoff dumps.  Between the actual filthy water and the algae blooms, no locals go in the water - only the Canadians and Europeans who don't know what's in the water.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 pm

Diane, your latest post coincides with a novel I just finished reading:  "A Civil Action" by Jonathan Harr.  The story is based on the pollution of water resulting in sickness and deaths of residents that drank the water.  A Civil Action on behalf of familes who suffered along with the loss of lives is what the story is about.  It is a "compelling tale of a legal system gone awry - one in which greed and power fight an unending struggle against justice".  

The cause, as you mentioned, is often known or assumed to be known.  Correcting the problem is not an easy task.  Those responsible have the money and power to fight any opposition.  It takes a special person to take them to task and that person or persons require a huge amount of resources to fight. 

Shelagh's analysis points out the diversion from real issues.  IMV, while the country is diveted with nonsense potty and gender issues, important issues like water and saving the environment gets placed on the back burner.  The media directs of our attention.  Right now it is concentrated on the race to the Whitehouse. 
This morning I hear about the protests in Alburqurque outside a Trump Rally. In the meanwhile, the search for the missing Egyptian Aircraft is side-lined.  In Europe there is increased concern about the migrants and the effect they are having on the areas where they are gathered in significant numbers.   Another important issue is the increase or decrease in power-related nuclear facilities.  Politics will determine the outcome.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   Sat May 28, 2016 7:37 am

Yes, it seems he who controls the media controls thought and action.  That power is frightening, especially when you note who does the controlling.

I miss all the minds that used to post here.  Many have gone to Facebook which I find a less intellectual place and one where conversations disintegrate to name calling much quicker than it did here.  I guess that's because the people posting are those that have time - and the rest are busy with families and earning a living.  For those of us whose living is earned from writing - it's natural to post.

I also note that Facebook is becoming more commercial.  Every time you "like" a product they end up on your newsfeed and that of all your friends.  I never learned how to exploit that the benefit of selling books so I find it irritating.

Today's youth are on their cells 24 hours a day it seems. A few of us old foggies set aside an hour a day to catch up and to see what's happening.

I continued my "musings" at Shelagh's encouragement; however, it seems sometimes I am the only person posting - but for an occasional post for Abe, Alice, Dom, Shelagh, Victor or Betty.  If I missed anyone, it is still only a very few people's ideas when once we had a lively conversation among many.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: D. K. Christi's musings   

Back to top Go down

D. K. Christi's musings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: