Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement Empty
PostSubject: For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement   For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 7:17 am

I can't find Betty's suggestion about planting herbs in easements.  However, I wanted to share  the book I am reading by Anne Michaels, The Winter Vault.  It is slow reading because the writing is so poetic, every turn of a word carefully chosen.  It violates every rule of today's "popular" writers.

For Betty, though, I stopped at a passage that so reminded me of her ,

"At first, Jean planted in the ravines, then in the laneways, along the edges of parking lots, places without obvious ownership, overlooked for years.  Then she grew bolder, planting at night in the selvage between curbs and pavement, between pavement and front lawns; rims, crevices, along civic fencing."

"Jean dug, wishing she had acres to upturn with only a trowel; the meditation of lifting the earth one scoopful at a time, submerged in thought, for hours moving toward an understanding that is at first merely visceral and then becomes conscious knowledge, as if only such physical action could bring the thought into words."

How's that for an unending sentence!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement   For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Dear Dk,
I will get this book. 
I hope that Jean is not carted off to some mental institution! 

My best love to you.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement   For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Wouldn't it be better to have a garden than a lawn? 
As far as plants along highways, the auto emissions would impede growth and I don't think I'd want to eat the produce.  In this case, flowers and trees are a good substitution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement   For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement Empty

Back to top Go down

For Betty - and anyone else, too, planting herbs in easement
Page 1 of 1