Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time Empty
PostSubject: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 5:59 am

Kendra Henson is a twenty-eight year old independent professional black woman fed up and frustrated with the state of her relationships with black men. Kendra takes issue with how she and other single black women are treated on a daily basis by men that should be holding them in high esteem. Even one of her closest girlfriends disappointed Kendra with a show of disrespect related to her status as an unmarried woman. Without warning Kendra suddenly found herself the object of attention from two men that could not be more different and she could make an impulsive decision that would lose a man like one she had been seeking for years.

http://amzn.to/15x93aM

Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time 728973536b176b4dce35ff8226b56262
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:14 am

Looks good, DT.
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks Abe.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 am

DT, keep in mind that language used in a book can be a positive or a negative.  Because you wrote the book and because it seemed interesting, I did the “look inside” feature on Amazon with the intent of downloading.  What I read was a turn-off for me.  I hate gutter language even though it is used by many and when an author writes, he/she does so with realism in mind.  I don’t associate with people who use that language in every day conversation.  At one time, I read manuscripts for a publisher to see if they were worthy of publication.  I remember one in particular where the word, “fuck” was used in some form on every page.  I did a search on the word and in the first 10 pages it appeared 100 times.  I stopped reading.  I told the publisher that there may be a market for the book, but I was the wrong person to review it, and explained why.
Sorry, but that’s how I personally feel.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 am

Joshua Stone, the major character in the 21st century time warp of Redstone's Valley, says "fuck" and "shit" several times, especially when the readers first meet him.  The character, whose life experiences put him in places where those words were common, was in a very bad place.  Those were the only words, in my opinion as the author, that would accurately convey that character's state of mind at that moment.

It is the author's job, even duty, to give a real voice to his or her characters in the best way possible to enlighten the readers as to who they are and what their circumstances are.  It is the characters who are speaking, not the author.

DT's characters are always very real, and the words they speak are an important part of our understanding of their reality.

Just me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 am

That's why there are many authors, many reviewers and many different genres.  If my son were in a book, the "f" word would be used plenty.  I am fortunate that my cell phones thinks it's a mistake and changes txting to "duck" and it comes out rather funny. I am offended by harsh language, especially from my adult son.

Therefore, when I know an author writes in that style, I don't read the books.  I don't like vampires and blood and violence and gore either, even less so in recent years.  I have experienced the ugly side of life and choose not to be reminded.  Instead, I choose to fill my mind with visions of happiness when I can, Hallmark movies as an example - milk toast.

As for DT, he has written a wide variety of novels and short stories.  Therefore, he offers readers choices; but they need to know from reviews which books meet their reading standards.

I had a friend who could have written the most wonderful erotic books because he had a turn of the word that was vivid and sensual.  He helped me with some of my writing - toned down considerably from his suggestions.  I do not like to read erotica, again preferring to use my imagination rather than have things in my view.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:49 am

As a bit of clarification, I don't object to swear words used in context.  I was referring to the overuse of those words.  I myself on occasion use these words usually in a state of agitation and to make a point, however often people use these swear words when they are incapable of finding a good word to express their feelings.  Don Stephens forwarns readers that some language may be offensive, however I have not found his novels to be offensive.  When certain swear words are used, they fit into the context of the situation and are not overdone.

As DK said, there is a venue for all readers.  Some readers are attractive to erotic and/or what some may call obscene language.  I read what pleases me.  I enjoy Don Stephens books even with the violence since it is comes across as real.  He often uses native Americans in his novels.  Realism reflects the violence of the characters and setting of the story.
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 pm

When I create a character and dialog I try to write like what they would say if I'm not in the room applying a filter. I try to be true to what a character would say to a good friend that she thinks has betrayed her. I'm writing something now where I'm having to remove all my filters, because it is about someone in the world of hip hop music and the language between them is raw, but in order for it to sound believable I had to leave the room and allow them to talk naturally to each other. I have expanded my writing capacity by dipping into these different characters and it has made it easier to mix somewhat awkward meetings between divine and profane characters that sometimes encounter each other in reality.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 2:57 pm

I have difficulty with dialogue.  Mine is often stilted and uncomfortable.  I would rather tell a story than have the characters be the story.  Newspaper writing reinforces the "telling" aspect of my writing.

I have no tolerance for violence, murder and mayhem or harsh language anymore in movies or books, regardless of the depth and reality of the characters.  Fortunately, there are plenty of younger readers who feel differently and search for raw realism or raw fantasy in movies and books so that many authors may write their books for them.

Reality, I have not read a great book in a long time, or seen a great movie either.  Some books are well-written and some movies well-acted and directed.  They just haven't held my attention like Dances With Wolves or Dr. Zhivago or Sound of Music or The Little Prince.  The last books I've read were good stories just not page-turners. My last page-turners were spy novels from the 1940's -
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 9:52 pm

When I find a good book.  "Good" meaning that it caught my attention and I was immersed in the story.  I re-read these books often remembering passages.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 9:30 am

I must say, DT has eye catching covers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time   Confessions Of A Single Black Woman – Free limited Time Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1