Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles Empty
PostSubject: Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles   Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 am

I made some progress in July with a surprising number of sales of Kindle books for me, over 700 but less than 1,000 units with most at the $.99 price point. These were designed to be practical for that price at 12,000 words or less each. The question I'm trying to answer is should I reprice some of my older full length titles or just do more promos with them. It doesn't help to have a higher price book that's not selling, but if these other books draw readers and sell at $.99 then maybe some of the legacy titles will move. I have one new full length book that got rave reviews and it sold a good amount of units after the free promotion was over at a $4.99 but died off after that. The $.99 books keep selling after the promos end in good quantities. There is definitely a price point resistance when you don't have a built in base of readers. Thoughts anyone.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles   Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:17 am

Wish I could help, but I have no experience at this.  My first Shorts is just now being promoted at a low price and on the 6th, it is a free download.  I'm getting my first exposure to the cheapies.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles   Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:43 am

8/1/2013

DT...

I have my books on Kindle and I went your route and made them
                   .99 cents, I haven't checked lately, I also have books on Smashwords where
                   they seem to be doing good, I just lowered those prices..I figured people would
                   buy a bargain since money is tight these days..

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles   Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 am

I have very few books out there, but a little experience with them.  Dropping Arirang from $4.99 to $2.99 made no difference in sales.  I think it is just too long - no one wants to read it on Kindle.  They took the free promotion, but no after sales and no reviews.

I believe I have a new author for Ghost Orchid.  In the transition, I have a Kindle version up and dropped the $4.99 price to $3.99 and recently had a free promotion.  I see no positive results from the lower price or the promotion.

I have one story up at $.99 with few sales.

Sorry to sound so glum; however, in their "starter" years, both Arirang and Ghost Orchid had great and steady sales at fairly high prices (Arirang started at $35 - can you imagine!).  Soon as PA dropped Amazon, Arirang's sales fell. 

Ghost Orchid has been Page 1 on Google for several years.  Suddenly it's dropped.  I believe the closing of its publisher has pushed it off Page 1.  I found Page 1 on Google has been my best sales tool - but I don't know what put it there! I did use every social networking site out there and tried to write something at least once a week.

I think the secret is to have a following, feed that following and branch out from there.  Books in series do well once they catch on.  I think people are becoming spoiled by the free and 99 cent books and shy away from anything but name authors at higher prices.

I'll be interested to see how Joe does with his 99 cent books.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles   Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles Empty

Back to top Go down

Sales Progress & Should I Reprice Older Titles
Page 1 of 1