Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Traditions

Go down 
+5
dkchristi
Don Stephens
alj
alice
Abe F. March
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Traditions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't think there's reincarnation as we imagine it - I think it is the energy reforming but with no previous or future understanding of lives before or after. I think death is like going to sleep with no dreams and not waking up. The energy leaves the body and continues as part of everything else and the body disintegrates into its bits to recycle with the rest of the universe. It's scarey to me; but it's the way things are so it's best to live with each day special and concentrate on other things.

I think traditions are what you make them. As lifestyles change, sometimes traditions change too. So long as they harm no one, I am respectful of other's traditions and try to understand them in some cases when they are quite different.

Living in very different cultures (S. Korea and the Caribbean) for lengthy periods of time introduced me to many different traditions from Voodoo to Chinese New Year - some fun to follow others not so much....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

1/24/2013

I remember reading once in the NY Daily News a question

" Is sleep the twin of death ?" The answer was yes, I was

a teenager and for a few days I was scared to go to sleep

at night. I also remember reading in Christian Science it states

" Death is like going from one dream to the next." Interesting...

Cheers.Joe.....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 pm

My take on the afterlife is similar to DK's. As for Christmas (Xmas) traditions, I like them. What I find interesting is that the people who oppose dropping the word, Christ, from Christmas don't do much celebrating of Christ's birth. It is all about Santa Claus and buying gifts. During the shopping season, how much do you see representing the birth of Christ? You see Santa Claus, his sleigh, Reindeer and Elves. Perhaps it could be called "SantaMas" or "GiftMas". Truth or fiction, I enjoy my childhood memories of Christmas time. My Aunt Ruth coming to take us for a ride in a one horse sleigh with blankets to keep us warm. The bells on the harness jingled when the horse trotted. It was exciting. Going into the woods, cutting a tree and then decorating it. We believed in Santa Claus. With Easter, there was always an Easter Egg Hunt. We each had an Easter basket that we had to search for on Easter morning. Lots of fuin and fond memories. It was much like a fairy tale, and I think those holidays were primarily for the enjoyment of children. Presents were a reward for being good during the year and there were songs that said as much.

Parents keep traditions alive if they enjoyed them during their childlhood. They die when we let them die.
I find it interesting how various cultures celebrate the holiday events. Celebration means a time of fun and laughter with special things to eat and drink. It means getting together with family. In today's society, some families get together only when there is a funeral. It is not a joyous time, but rather a time of sadness.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm

Quote :
In today's society, some families get together only when there is a funeral. It is not a joyous time, but rather a time of sadness.

You've never been to one of my family's funerals Very Happy We have always had the grandest wakes - on both sides of my family; my ex's, too.

My son-in-law told Lynn, not long after they married, that he had never hunted Easter eggs. His father was a minister, so Easter Sunday was spent at the church. He and his brother would hide the eggs for the hunt at the church, but during the hunt they were expected to act as hosts for the other children. So, the next Easter, Mom and I stayed up late, dying eggs and arranging baskets, and got up very early the next morning and hid them. as soon as the houseful of twenty-somethings got up, they all grabbed their baskets and rushed into the back yard, virtually becoming children again for about an hour, so Chris could have the experience of hunting eggs.

In my own home, the holidays became especially difficult after my younger brother's death. He had been born on Thanksgiving Day, and after he was gone, it was hard for us to get the spirit going. We would go through the motions, but it wasn't the same without Bob.

For my own children, having to choose which of their families to celebrate the special days with takes some of the fun out for them. That was a bit of a problem even before the divorce, as my parents and Bill's parents never liked each other very much, so the tension was thick no matter what we chose to do. After our children were born, we reached a point where we just told them that we would be celebrating at home and they were all welcome to join us. they generally did, but the atmosphere was a bit frosty. Now that David has Jaycie, he prefers to spend Christmas at home. He has already told me that I will be there next year.

Most of my best holiday memories were spent in my aunt's kitchen. My dad's dad had sold the family shipyard and retired to a ranch in the Hill Country. My dad's older brother's wife became the family matriarch, and holidays were spent at her home. She was an organizer, so the meals were prepared by all of the women and girls, with her supervising and giving orders. My mother hated that, and fumed the whole day.

Occasionally we would spend holidays at my mom's parents' farm, and my mom would take charge there, and order her own mother around.

The one thing those holidays had in common was the separation of the men from the women. The women and girls stayed in the kitchens and cooked while the men and boys st on the porch and told their favorite hunting and fishing stories over and over again.

After Bob's death, the tension between my mom and my aunt broke out into open warfare, so we stopped going there, and my mom started ruling over her brother's wives as newer traditions developed, but the underlying emotions were never buried all that far under the surface.

Looking back as I write, I get an image of strong, powerful women who did not have permission to be anything other than housewives, so they developed these manipulative ways to get some sense of control into their daily existence.

But from my position, here, today, I look back and get a strong sense of what LC was saying. There is no way I would be the woman I am today if I hadn't experienced the life I had with the people I lived with, first as a child, then as a mother, then a single parent, and so on. I get a strong sense of destiny, and a feeling that I am right where I am supposed to be, doing what I am supposed to be doing.

I generally believe that we each have a core "self" that was pre-existent and will eventually move on as an entity with some kind of continuity, and that it may well be that we choose to incarnate more than once, in order to learn new lessons.

As Campbell has said, "Life is sorrowful. How do you live with that? You realize the eternal within yourself. You disengage, and yet, reengage. You—and here’s the beautiful formula—“participate with joy in the sorrows of the world.” You play the game. It hurts, but you know that you have found the place that is transcendent of injury and fulfillments. You are there, and that’s it."

And that's just me, of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 am

Fortunately, my youth was always full of hope around the corner or the next job or the next relationship or the next country or state. There was no time to dwell in sad memories or temporary depressive moments when they appeared. The future would always be better...

It's only in recent years that I have learned to live today.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 am

Nothing in life is ever one thing or the other. It is always a combination of both.

Some of what seemed at the time to be the worst moments of my life, turned out, in the end, to provide the most positive outcomes.

And speaking of traditions, I am not a Biblical literalist. That doesn't mean I don't find the Bible to contain many of the world's great wisdoms:

Quote :
And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, he pours new wine into new wineskins.
Mark 2:22 New Inernational Version
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I think the Bible is magnificent as are many other great and spiritual texts. If I was stranded on an island with one book, I'd want the Bible. If I could have 2, I'd add the complete works of Shakespeare. Think of all the thinking and reading those two would provide - and a lot of reading in very thin pages - good for kindling if all else failed...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traditions   Traditions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Traditions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: