Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Disloyalty to a Publisher?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Alphonse Bocelli

Alphonse Bocelli

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Disloyalty to a Publisher? Empty
PostSubject: Disloyalty to a Publisher?   Disloyalty to a Publisher? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 am

This year i am planning on seeking out publishers for my non-fiction work (metaphysical type stuff)

From my experience of having my artwork published and put onto "playing cards", i know that the whole process from when you give them the material until it is on the shelves, can take more than a year. I still have a couple of projects which i can offer them first refusal over (two further projects for first refusal was part of the initial contract). The thing is, I've found that the publisher in question is not very good at the whole distribution thing and seems to mainly only focus on Amazon, as opposed to actual book stores (possibly because bookstores are closing up left, right and centre)

My eight non-fiction books are quite important to me and i plan on having them widely available through a publisher both online and offline.

I've accepted that the traditional royalty rate is not going to make my efforts a financial endevour personally, but i am mainly trying to look into publishers with good distribution channels. This particular publisher seems to cut back on promotional efforts of any one book/product, instead focusing on aquiring a big enough catalogue of products to keep themselves afloat (somehow).

That leads me to my discussion. Do you feel it would be seen as "disloyal" to seek out any more than one publisher at a time even if both would be printing the same sort of genre? I guess i am more loyal to the actual content of the books themselves, but i'm trying to see it both ways.

Thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.alphonsebocelli.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Disloyalty to a Publisher?   Disloyalty to a Publisher? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Agents acquire the biggest advance by pitching manuscripts to more than one publisher. The bottom line is how big is the market, how tough is the competition and will the sales cover the advance? If the market is small, the competition tough and the sales unpredictable, bite the hand off of any publisher willing to offer a contract.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Disloyalty to a Publisher?   Disloyalty to a Publisher? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Alphonse, Shelagh gave your good advice.

Personally, I don't think there is any disloyalty to anyone. Unless/untill you have a publisher, how can you possibly be disloyal to them? Sometimes an Agent will ask if you have submitted your ms to another Agent or publisher. Be truthful in your response. In any event, you must look out for your own interests. You will find that they do the same.
Back to top Go down
Alphonse Bocelli

Alphonse Bocelli

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Disloyalty to a Publisher?   Disloyalty to a Publisher? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for the replies Smile

I appreciate it and it gives me something to think about
Back to top Go down
http://www.alphonsebocelli.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disloyalty to a Publisher?   Disloyalty to a Publisher? Empty

Back to top Go down

Disloyalty to a Publisher?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Writing and Publishing :: Articles-