Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Disposing of a wife

Go down 
+4
JoElle
zadaconnaway
lin
Dick Stodghill
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Disposing of a wife Empty
PostSubject: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 10:59 am

Disposing of a wife I_outg19
While watching a woman being electrocuted on one of our favorite BBC programs last evening I was reminded of a story I wrote twenty or more years ago called BYPASS FOR MURDER. It reminded me, too, how dangerous any electrical appliance can be.
The story was written for a Private Eye Writers of America anthology titled JUSTICE FOR HIRE. Being somewhat honest at times, after receiving a check I returned it to Bob Randisi, founder of PWA, with a note saying I had never written a story named JUSTICE FOR HIRE. He sent it back with a rather caustic reminder that it was the name of the book, not my story.
Anyway, a man felt he wanted to dispose of his wife - something many men feel prone to do at times - so he decided to electrocute her. For him to do so I called upon my days as a radio and TV repairman in the 1950s. As a murder weapon the evil brute used an AC-DC table model radio his wife kept in the basement by her washer.
Those old tube radios were potential killers so manufacturers used a 25 cent part called a line bypass condenser (people call them capacitors now) to keep the 110 line voltage from reaching the chassis. If that condenser shorted out it had no effect at all on the quality of reception so the user was unaware that the full line voltage was now on the chassis. There were two more safeguards, however: cabinets were plastic or wood and there were plastic knobs on the metal shafts used to tune in a station and control the volume.
To proceed with his dastardly plot the husband bought a cheap condenser of the proper size at a radio parts supplier and shorted it out by stabbing it a number of times with a pin. He then replaced the perfectly good line bypass condenser with the one whose effectiveness he had destroyed. Next he replaced the plastic knobs with ones of metal. Finally he punched a tiny hole in a hose by the washer so a small amount of water leaked onto the concrete basement floor.
He was miles away working at his office on wash day when his wife turned on the radio and provided the line voltage with an easy path to ground. The nasty man failed to do one thing, remove a sticker from a nearby radio repair shop.
Everyone was satisfied it was an accident except a suspicious private eye investigating for an insurance company. He took the radio to the shop, where its horrified owner found the cheap bypass condenser, a brand no respectable shop would use. Furthermore, the radio man said, no shop would ever allow an AC-DC radio to leave the premises with metal knobs. Case solved.
The moral of the story is this: beware of any appliance that plugs into an electrical outlet. Somewhere inside that line voltage is lurking. Electricity is something we use every day. It can be our best friend - or our deadliest enemy.
affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Quote :
While watching a woman being electrocuted on one of our favorite BBC programs

Now THAT'S entertainment! No wonder people like British television.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 12:03 pm

I like the story line, Dick. There have been many plots of putting electric appliances into one's bath, but the washing machine and radio is a nice twist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 12:48 pm

lin wrote:
Quote :
While watching a woman being electrocuted on one of our favorite BBC programs

Now THAT'S entertainment! No wonder people like British television.

I love the BBC!!!

My husband and I love:

Are You Being Served?

Mr. Bean

Keeping Up Appearances

Dr. Who

Torchwood

Sarah Jane Adventures

Father Ted

..... and on goes the list
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Lin, that was carefully edited. I removed "enjoyed" watching a woman being electrocuted. And you thought I wasn't sensitive and lacked good taste.

Like Elf, we love many of the BBC productions. I wish the American producers would study their way of doing things. Hugh Laurie, who plays the role of Dr. House, does an amazing bit of acting to sound like a Yank. I heard an interview with him about the program and he had reverted back to his British accent. It's hard to imagine how much effort that would take.
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone you got me humming, Rule Brittania, Brittania Rules The
Waves, except now it's TV signal waves, no matter, Rule Brittania,
Brittania Rules The Air Waves Disposing of a wife 401565Disposing of a wife 986286Disposing of a wife 770134Disposing of a wife 704672Disposing of a wife 499995Disposing of a wife 710456Disposing of a wife 613632Disposing of a wife 46482
Back to top Go down
http://fly.to/rainbow689
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Yes, British television is far superior to the American airings. Better acting and better writing, too, I think. We, on this side of the pond seem to be much more the prude than our British cousins.

I find Hugh Laurie an excellent actor and saw the interview as well. He seemed like someone else!
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 8:32 am

The USA does have some great TV in the way of SciFi; don't get me wrong Dr Who is brill but Stargate, Startrek, etc, etc shows great TV does come out of the states. Disposing of a wife 748523 Disposing of a wife 704672 Disposing of a wife 467915 Disposing of a wife 467915 Disposing of a wife 467915 Disposing of a wife 402987
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 am

I think better has mostly to do with personal preference/taste.
I'm a fan of the British comedies as mentioned by Forest Elf. But I'm also a fan of the old American comedies as with "I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Newhardt," etc. Those were family-type comedies that could give a good belly laugh. The foul-mouthed comedies of today turn me off so I turn them off.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 12:27 pm

I agree with you Abe and Hairy Mob that it's about the quality of the show as much as anything. I love some of the Brit comedy, but then my parents are British and so I watched a lot of it growing up but honestly I don't go looking for it most of the time. My favourite approach is to watch the recorded stuff I love that we can buy series of favourite shows) that I do like and that way miss commercials as well as the junk, but everyone's opinion of what they love - as well as what is junk is different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Abe, I think the difference between the American comedies you mentioned is the old vs. the new.
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 7:05 am

I liked Cheers the one about the bar in Chigago and then there was Married with Children both brilliant American comedies of the nineties. And then there is My Name Is Erol which I have heard is great but unfortunately I keep missing so I'm not able to say for myself, though from the trailers it does look good. Don't give up on American comedy its like comedy everywhere it comes in cycles. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 am

I haven't heard about My Name Is Erol, but I did enjoy Cheers and Married With Children. Also Mash and All In The Family, but there is very little in the way of new offerings on American TV that shows merit.

And many of the newer programming seems to be aimed specifically at the teen to twenty age groups. I really seldom watch tv anymore, as most of the programs appear to be stupid in my opinion. Maybe I am just getting old and set in my ways!
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 am

I really like My Name is Earl, have only seen a couple. It's Jason Lee.

My hit on TV comedy is a little different. what I see is there have ALWAYS been a couple of really well-written shows on at all times. They change, but there are always at least two. The rest are often dreck.

I look back and see stuff like News Radio, Wings, WKRP, Barney Miller, Designing Women, Cheers, Frasier... there is always some good stuff with top flight writing.

Go further back and you see there were things like Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, etc. with great writing.

I think the writing is getting better, actually.

Another thing you sort of spot is that often the same people are involved with the best shows, moving on to other ones as the old ones go off the air. Frasier and Wings had some of the same people involved.

Two of my favorite novelists, Joe Keenan and Thomas Perry, wrote extensively for Frasier and Simon and Simon respectively.
Guys like Conan O'Brien were originally writers for shows.

We're seeing the last of a generation of writers who came out of the old National Lampoon (and many through Saturday Night Live) then moved into shows.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:18 pm

zadaconnaway wrote:
Yes, British television is far superior to the American airings. Better acting and better writing, too, I think. We, on this side of the pond seem to be much more the prude than our British cousins.

I find Hugh Laurie an excellent actor and saw the interview as well. He seemed like someone else!

I think Bob Hoskins is brilliant.

I couldn't believe the perfect Brooklyn accent he pulled off in "Mario Brothers". He was Mario Mario.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 3:34 pm

lin wrote:

I look back and see stuff like News Radio, Wings, WKRP, Barney Miller, Designing Women, Cheers, Frasier... there is always some good stuff with top flight writing.

I think you and I must be pretty close in age Lin, we recall the same shows! I have often thought it was the writers that really make a show too. It often seems that a show will start out really strong and then the writers move on to a new project and the old show fades away. One of my all time favourites is MASH, and I still love those old re-runs.

If you're up for something really fun, this is a riot; a sing-along-blog with Dr. Horrible and the talents of Joss Whedon. It's not expected to be on-line long but I am really hoping that they do some more episodes. http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of a wife   Disposing of a wife Empty

Back to top Go down

Disposing of a wife
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: