Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Why I've Neglected Blogging

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Why I've Neglected Blogging Empty
PostSubject: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Why I've Neglected Blogging I_outg19 I've neglected blogging for 11 days. Here's why:

I suppose it's time for my long vacation from blogging to end. The past eleven days hardly qualify as vacation because I've been totally wrapped up on writing projects that left no time for anything else.
There were a couple of 6,000 word mystery stories to go over and over - thirty times at least - until I was satisfied. Changing a word here and another there, moving text from one place to another, deleting some things and adding others, coming up with a different ending - those things take time.
Then there were three high school sports books produced between 1988 and 1999 to get back in print again. Doing so was a huge job, although nothing like it was the first time. That took several years of reseach, compiling and writing. Doing the books was a labor of love because each has a limited market.
All of it is fun though. Can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 pm

That's enough inspiration for me!!! I'm getting to "work" here doing inspiring and pleasurable writing.

I'm working on putting together materials on my Cuba book that I will send to Pelican Books. I've taken some time off from submission since the waiting does get stressful and stress has been part of my life big time lately.

But now I'm ready and then will work on other writing.

Thanks for the inspiration as always.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 pm

Sometimes, work calls. As for me, I'm going to be gone for about 11 days beginning Saturday when my wife and I head for Alberta and Montana for a vacation. Neither of us is taking a laptop with us, so there won't be a temptation there to log on when we should be out enjoying Glacier Park, Waterton Park, and Banff.

Haven't been that way for 20 years.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Malcolm, you are heading into my old neck of the woods - I spent most of my life in Alberta and so be sure to really feel it for me while you are there okay?

Dick, your dedication and results are really inspiring, so you are forgiven for dropping your blog rate. That way we know you've at least taken a moment or two for your wife and maybe the hamster too.

As for blogging, I am trying to be consistent and regular with it...sounds like bowels though. I added an entrecard widget to my blog, but although it has increased my traffic in technical terms, none of my visitors are guaranteed to actually stop and read, nor be part of my target audience, so although I have upped traffic, I have not actually upped anything else.
pirate
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Jim Woods
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Jim Woods

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Dick, I'm not impacting my time by blogging but I can fully appreciate how a couple of 6K stories can take up your time. I've been doing some of the same. I've been writing the story for the past month, tweaking as I go at the end of each day. I "finished" it a few days ago, at 6200 words, then let it simmer for a few days before going back for a final read. I made changes, then printed it for the first time. It's amazing how problems show up in print that are hidden on screen. I tweaked the new changes and simmered some more. Today I printed it final, prepared to stuff it in an envelope and send it away, and I read the "final" copy once again. I added a hundred words and had to print the last four pages one more time, and I had to change and reprint the submission letter to reflect the new word count. The package is complete, ready to be mailed on Monday. chances are that I'll read it again Tuesday, and wish I could recall it for last minute changes.

Jim Woods
www.ultrasw.com/jwoods
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 6:42 am

It's a chore, Jim, but it pays off. I agree about printouts. Things show up and a story sometimes seems quite different when you see it in print. I don't mind rewriting, in fact I enjoy it, but I always try to keep William Campbell Gault's advice in mind: "You have to rewrite, but be careful because you might be cutting out the good stuff."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I've Neglected Blogging   Why I've Neglected Blogging Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I've Neglected Blogging
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: