Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How Often Do You Call Your Parents?

Go down 
+6
dkchristi
alj
Abe F. March
Al Stevens
Shelagh
alice
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 am

Yes, I claimed I would never "grow old" with a long list of activities to carry me forward. Then, the work world slammed the door shut. I know it's partly the economy, but that was the first day of "old." One can claim not to "grow old" and live with vitality and dreams; but one day without warning something unplanned tells the truth that age has arrived, that life is different.

Some lifestyles make aging easier. Wealth is a great support. Some marriages make aging a gentler process, though not all. Family can make a great difference. Location. Florida doesn't allow aging; the nip and tuck parlors are very busy. Self-employment provides long term work opportunities and work may be a youth serum. Passion is a great fountain of youth, whether for a person, an activity or a dream. Sometimes, just plain responsibility prevents the luxury of feeling old; too much yet to be done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 am

People should be happy to just be old--they are alive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Good post, DK.

I don't think there's a right answer to getting old. It is often said, "You're as old as you feel." If that were true, then at times I am ancient.

Getting old is a fact that can't be changed. How one deals with it is personal. Trying to look young may help lift the spirits, but doesn't change the fact.

My body tells me the truth. I can't do the things I did just a few short years ago. My aches and pains are real and I accept them as normal. The more miles I have on my vehicle (body) the more wear and tear it takes. Some repairs have already been made and I expect more will be necessary before it goes to the junk heap. As long as it runs, I will continue to drive it.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Almost everything hurts. What doesn't hurt doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 5:12 pm

I felt young until diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. After that the maladiies piled up and I got tired of them.

Now I figure might as well have them all--would hate to miss anything. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 am

I wish I could remember the exact Madeline quote - something like, "I don't want to go to the grave with a perfect body and a perfect life; I want to go all used up with a box of chocolates in one hand and a bottle of wine in another." The picture with the quote was priceless. The real quote is better than my memory of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:55 am

dkchristi wrote:
I wish I could remember the exact Madeline quote - something like, "I don't want to go to the grave with a perfect body and a perfect life; I want to go all used up with a box of chocolates in one hand and a bottle of wine in another." The picture with the quote was priceless. The real quote is better than my memory of it.
How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 950944
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 am

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations. (George Bernard Shaw - A Splendid Torch)

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. (Cherokee Expression)

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! (Rosalind Russell)

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today. (James Dean)

Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.(Somerset Maugham)

May you live as long as you are fit to live, but no longer! Or, may you rather die before you cease to be fit to live than after! (Philip Dormer Stanhope)

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 am

Quote :
Warning:

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit. ....
Jenny Joseph

http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/jenny-joseph/warning/

And my favorite part:
Quote :
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 588578
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 am

I love that poem.

My walking friend liked it too. She did not get old--she died young, Only 71.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:09 am

I live in Nevada.

My father lives in Guadalajara.
I call him about 2-3 times a year, our phone calls last a good two hours. I only don't call him more often because the calls are so long and when my siblings call him we all share the updates. His wife's girls (my step-sisters) are on FB and my friends. So they also help us keep up with dad.

My mother lives in Texas.
She's on FB and we keep in touch that way. We probably talk a couple times a week, just to say hi and check up. I usually am the one to call her.

My oldest brother lives in California.
He's on FB. He's a doctor and is pretty busy. Other than calling for actual stuff going on, we maybe talk to chat once every couple of months.

My other brother lives in Oregon.
He's on FB. He talks with mom quite a bit. He will call me maybe once a month just to say hi.

One of my sisters lives in Minnesota.
She has FB, but isn't 'on' very often. We call each other several times a month. She talks pretty often with sister in South Dakota.

Another sister lives in South Dakota.
She recently moved to SD from Nevada. She and my sister in MN get together once in a while. We call each other several times a month.

My baby sister lives here in town with me.
She's on FB. She closer to my son's age and has become good friends with my daughter in law. She and I talk almost daily. She calls our mom several times a week. Since she lives here in town and her job is really close to my house, I see her probably once a week at least.

We don't know how much time we will be graced with in this lifetime. I think it is important to stay in touch with family (I have aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews as FB friends too and have loved keeping up with them). Time is too short to neglect nurturing family (and friends) ties.

No one wants to realize it is too late to say I am sorry or I love you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Often Do You Call Your Parents?   How Often Do You Call Your Parents? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How Often Do You Call Your Parents?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2