Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The future of eBooks?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

The future of eBooks? Empty
PostSubject: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:11 am

My goal has been to prepare my writing for Standard Publication. It is true with the web anyone can publish.
To me that sounds like a person who goes to Hollywood, and wants to be a movie star. Un-able to stand to the mark, they buy a Brownie movie camera, and make their own film, which they star in, and SHOUT…“I am a movie star.”
I do believe some time in the future, eBooks will dominate most of the market. I do not believe it will be dominate by the self-published.
Readers still demand quality stories. Standard Publishers offer quality reading. True many readers find it easier to pick up a book on their electronic device. That is a great advance. I for one hail this new technology.
A writer must produce quality work that will sell. The only segment of the publishing world who assures quality…is the Standard Publishers.
I believe Standard Publishers will set the pace for the electronic books. Pulp, or keyboard, the reader will always demands quality.

The Standard Publishers are not stupid people, they are business people who see the turn. I agree with many, they can be heartless in their treatment of writers. I guess after receiving ten billion very bad books from very bad writers, would make them callus to writers feelings.
Standard Publishers have the money, marketing know how, and staff structure to take complete control of the eBook market. I do not believe they will wave a white flag.

I’d like to hear your comments on the subject. Please, no nasty comments, or name calling.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Domenic,

The world of publishing is changing and no one can accurately predict the future apart from saying that change will happen. I doubt if it will be driven by the present day publishing houses; it will be market driven. Editors will become like plumbers; they will be in great demand and will be able to set their own fees. Agents will become a thing of the past. If you write a brilliant book and hire a top notch editor, then the book should sell. You might have to give it away first to generate a readership. If the book matches up, readers will be prepared to pay.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 am

My only problem with what you are saying, Dom, is that "Standard" publishers are, as you say, business people. So much so, that profit has become far more important than real quality. In setting stringent rules for what goes into the books they publish, they control what the authors say. And after a while, nothing new gets said.

Books from these publishers will generally be technically correct, but won't contain that many new ideas. More and more readers are looking for new answers, and independent authors are more free to express those new perspectives in innovative ways. I don't think that the old "marketing know-how" is going to hold up any more with the publishing industry than it is with any other corporate entity. These are changing times. Writers are dealing with a changing market.

You are a good writer. If you put something out and test the waters, you might start to build an audience of readers who like what you have to say.

(Shelagh and I were responding at the same time. We seem to have been saying much the same thing.)

Ann

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 12:07 pm

alj wrote:
My only problem with what you are saying, Dom, is that "Standard" publishers are, as you say, business people. So much so, that profit has become far more important than real quality. In setting stringent rules for what goes into the books they publish, they control what the authors say. And after a while, nothing new gets said.

Books from these publishers will generally be technically correct, but won't contain that many new ideas. More and more readers are looking for new answers, and independent authors are more free to express those new perspectives in innovative ways. I don't think that the old "marketing know-how" is going to hold up any more with the publishing industry than it is with any other corporate entity. These are changing times. Writers are dealing with a changing market.

You are a good writer. If you put something out and test the waters, you might start to build an audience of readers who like what you have to say.

(Shelagh and I were responding at the same time. We seem to have been saying much the same thing.)

Ann

I used to have a friend who managed a large book store. (B&N.) She told me, “It is the big chain stores who tell the publishers what they will buy. The big stores also have a buy back policy. If the books don’t sell, the publisher has to buy them back. Working in a field like that has to be hard. The writers blame the publishers, and they should be blaming the book chains.
The problems is the big book stores. The eBook I’m sure will put big stores out of business. (Knock on wood.)
I think if the Standard Publishers go after the eBook market they will accept many more books from writers. After all, it won’t cost much to offer an eBook, no stock, nothing to buy back. I think it will be a good thing for writers.
I don’t feel the self-pub group that is trying to convert others to their movement will last.

If this, (and who the hell can say what is going to happen) does come about, writers will still need to produce good, well written stories.
I hope the change does come about. I look forward to the day the eBook is king. I also would like to see those chanting eBook all over the net go away. They are nasty in their attack on any writer who will not join them.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Writers will no longer allow publishers to profit from their ideas. I think self publishing will increase. People can do as they wish--most will want to keep the profits in their pocket.

A publisher will now need to offer a marketing strategy.

Writing and producing a book are the easy parts--selling it is the trick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Welcome back, Alice

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Quote :
The writers blame the publishers, and they should be blaming the book chains.

Good point, but I wonder if it it isn't something like the doctors, the druggists, and the insurance companies. Everybody is in everybody else's pocket.

There used to be an outlaw country/rock group out of Austin called Greasy Wheels. They just popped into my head, for some reason. Very Happy

Ann
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 pm

alice wrote:
Writers will no longer allow publishers to profit from their ideas. I think self publishing will increase. People can do as they wish--most will want to keep the profits in their pocket.

A publisher will now need to offer a marketing strategy.

Writing and producing a book are the easy parts--selling it is the trick.

Publishers risk big money getting a book out. I don't see them as the bad guy because (if) they make money from their risk.
Readers will still follow the big name writers. True some big names have gone solo with their work. There must be a good reason most go back to the Standard Publisher?

As a reader, I would rather spend my money from a work by a Standard Publisher, rather than an un-known with their free web site. Besides, if a writer is going to make money writing, he can't spend all his time marketing...and marketing cost money.

I was reading what someone said about self publishing. A writer gets say $1.35 a book sold by a Standard Publisher. A self publisher gets to keep all the money. But, if you add up the hours (hours are money) and the cash spent.
Will the self publisher make more (after all their time and cost) then the writer who getting the $1.35 per book?

This is not an easy problem to solve, and I don't think anyone knows how the chips will fall. I do understand business people. The Standard Publishers are not just going to fade away...they will go to eBook. Maybe eBook companies already on the net will just get stronger. Standard Publisher may have waited to long. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

To me, there is no right or wrong here.

Those who wish a Standard Publisher should get one, if they can. We should set and change our own goals

The subject seems to matter--Steve Jobs is popular and if you were his neighbor and knew first -hand information about him--you would probably do quite well on a book about him.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 3:00 pm

alice wrote:
To me, there is no right or wrong here.

Those who wish a Standard Publisher should get one, if they can. We should set and change our own goals

The subject seems to matter--Steve Jobs is popular and if you were his neighbor and knew first -hand information about him--you would probably do quite well on a book about him.

No one has suggested anyone should submit to a Sandard Publisher, or self publish. The thread ask what members feelings are on the sitution the publishing industry is in, and what direction one would like to see it go.

This thread is not a debate...it is only a question.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 3:13 pm

There is no answer to the question, Domenic. The publishing world is changing to the extent that what works for one author does not work for another. Writers have to devise their own strategy. Lots of businesses have sprung up offering advice and promising to help authors make sales by following a set procedure. That's no different to PublishAmerica. Some will make money by following the process while lots make nothing at all. The successful ones will be used as examples to attract the no hopers who think it will work for them too when, in effect, they are just fodder for the business to keep it in profit.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Like everything else in this world...it's a mess.

Here is a little thing I picked up this past week. The numbers sound good. The only thing I can't seem to find out...is how they did it? I myself won't jump into solo publishing without knowng what makes it work. To many writers have eaten from the tree of solo publishing and died on the vine. These writers are doing something right.

HP Mallory sold over 22,000 ebooks in December. No prior publishing contracts, and she just signed with an agent.

Michael R. Sullivan sold over 10,000 ebooks in December. No agent or prior publishing contracts.

Amanda Hocking recently turned down a lucrative offer from a house to continue self-publishing. Amanda sold a staggering 100,000 ebooks in December alone.

Here's a partial list of authors selling more than 1000 ebooks a month, none of who had any traditional publishing background (no deals, no agents.)

David Wisehart
B. Tackitt
Vianka Van Bokkem
Maria Hooley
Tina Folsom
C.S. Marks
Melanie Nilles
Robert Burton Robinson
Bella Andre
Lexi Revellian
Michael Sullivan
Victorine Lieske
H.P. Mallory
Lauren Saga
Terri Reid
Imogen Rose
Nathan Lowell
Ellen Fisher
Vianka Van Bokkem
David Dalglish
Sandra Edwards
C. S. Marks
Sibel Hodge
Julie Christensen
Holly A. Hook
David McAfee
Danielle Q. Lee
Valmore Daniels
Steven L. Hawk
Edward C. Patterson
William Meikle
Maria Hooley
M. Louisa Locke
Beth Orsoff*
Eric Christopherson
Monique Martin
Ellen O'Connell
Karen Cantwell
Stacey Wallace Benefiel
Aaron Patterson
Zoe Winters
Karen McQuestion
JR Rain

And this is a very small sampling of authors doing well epublishing.

Now there is one other list; I can't post it here because it would take me ten years just posting it. It's a very long list. It's those who haven't made more than $500 a year. (before cost.)

I am convinced one might make more money solo publishing, than via Standard Publishing. Me, I have no idea where the key is that unlocks that box?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I know some of the authors on your list. Lexi Revellian is an English author. She sells her books for 86p (99c). She has sold many books (over 30,000 at the last count). With the 99c books Amazon pays 35% roylaties. Books priced over $2.99 receive 70% royalties.

35% royalties on 30,000 books = 35c x 30,000 = $10,500

70% royalties on 5,250 books = $2 x 5,250 = $10,500

Talking about book sales is not the same as stating royalties earned. As I said, things are changing. Authors have to devise their own strategy. They have to decide how to price their books, and whether to give them away as free downloads. Reviews are very important and free books generate reviews.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Shelagh wrote:
I know some of the authors on your list. Lexi Revellian is an English author. She sells her books for 86p (99c). She has sold many books (over 30,000 at the last count). With the 99c books Amazon pays 35% roylaties. Books priced over $2.99 receive 70% royalties.

35% royalties on 30,000 books = 35c x 30,000 = $10,500

70% royalties on 5,250 books = $2 x 5,250 = $10,500

Talking about book sales is not the same as stating royalties earned. As I said, things are changing. Authors have to devise their own strategy. They have to decide how to price their books, and whether to give them away as free downloads. Reviews are very important and free books generate reviews.

Reviews by who?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 am

Check out the reviews on Lexi's Remix:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remix-ebook/dp/B003Z4KBF2
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 am

Shelagh wrote:
Check out the reviews on Lexi's Remix:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remix-ebook/dp/B003Z4KBF2

I was looking for some kind of records that showed sales.

I have received three replies to my query. I'm sending chapters to two, and a synopses. They are not the big NY agent I want. A friend I sail with is an agent(non-fiction) recommended Me. Now I have to clean up my stupid books.
I have my heart set on a NY Publisher...but, I want to also get facts on solo publishing. I want to know how those writers sell 10,000 books in a month? I know it can be done...but how?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:41 am

If only we knew, we would be doing it.

We have to write something people want to read in a way that they want to read it.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 9:45 am

alice wrote:
If only we knew, we would be doing it.

We have to write something people want to read in a way that they want to read it.

I look at writing as a business. A company can build the best wigget in the world, but if they can’t get it before the public, and build a desire for it…the wigget will die in the wind.

My question is; “What type marketing did these people employ? I guess if anyone on this forum knew they would be using it.
A writer can have written the best book ever, and sell it the best Publisher ever…but without good marketing, it won’t sell.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 am

This has already been discussed months ago, Domenic. Here's a link to John Locke's ebook explaining how he became the first indie author to sell a million books for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Sold-Million-eBooks-Months-ebook/dp/B0056BMK6K
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Shelagh,

Thanks-- I bought one--still contend it won't work for everyone.

Some people, Dick Stodghill, for example, could write about dirt and make it interesting--others bore people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The future of eBooks?   The future of eBooks? Empty

Back to top Go down

The future of eBooks?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: