Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Laughter is good medicine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Laughter is good medicine Empty
PostSubject: Laughter is good medicine   Laughter is good medicine EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:20 pm

“Laughter, the best medicine” was a caption in Readers Digest. Haven’t seen a Digest recently and don’t know if it is still used.

Just this morning I heard this title used by CNN in a report about the Greeks using laughter to overcome their financial woes. People get together just to laugh. They poke fun at themselves and their plight. Laughter is contagious. I have a personal example to share about that.

When I worked in NYC and lived in upstate NY, I traveled by train to and from work. There was a seat at the front of the RR car that faced the rest of the passengers. I sat in the second row facing front. The person occupying the seat facing the rest of us caused me to laugh. He had a large nose; thick glasses that made his eyes look owl-like. He had big ears and his hair stood up in places. He just looked goofy and I couldn’t help but laugh, and once started I couldn’t stop. The passengers around me began laughing because I was laughing. That caused me to laugh even harder and I couldn’t contain myself. Tears were running down my face as the passengers in the entire RR car were laughing – except the goofy guy in front of me. The laughter put everyone in a good mood. Since the subject of my amusement had no idea about the cause of my laughter, there was no harm done. The fact that my laughter caused others to laugh without any reason made me realize how we influence others by our actions. If we smile, it is returned. If we frown, others may frown. If we laugh, others may laugh. It is good medicine. I like being around people who laugh. There is always someone with an amusing story to tell and others flock to that person to get in on the laughter/fun. Poking fun about a person, place or thing can be good medicine. If you’re laughing, you can’t be uptight or sad.

After dinner, I take a short nap so I can stay up later in the evening without being so sleepy. When I awoke from my nap last evening, I looked at my watch and saw that it was 7 o’clock. I thought it was 7 Am, so I got up and began my morning routine. I put on the coffee and started my stretches. My wife was in the living room watching TV and wanted to know what I was doing. I said, “I’m about to make breakfast. What are you doing up so early?” She said, “Early? I’m about to go to bed.” It was then that I realized my error. We had a good laugh. A Senior Moment or just plain dumb, I don’t know. I had my coffee and then went to bed. I was up very early this morning and that’s why you’re getting this post. Go ahead and laugh. Make my day.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Laughter is good medicine   Laughter is good medicine EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Have a good day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Laughter is good medicine   Laughter is good medicine EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 3:07 am

What a charming post! I have wandered around a grocery store, intent on purchases. However, the check out clerk was so bubbly and friendly that I softened with a smile myself that hung in for the entire day. Facial expressions are catching too.

People in South America, Italy and other hot countries have always had it right when it comes to a siesta.

U. S. citizens and immigrants work themselves to death. Must be the air.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Laughter is good medicine   Laughter is good medicine EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks Diane. I started the siesta habit when I went to Greece and later in the Middle East. In areas where it is hot, the Siesta right after lunch is a welcomed break and it gives one more energy for the rest of the day. The evening meals usually began late in the evening. In Greece it was about 9 PM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laughter is good medicine   Laughter is good medicine Empty

Back to top Go down

Laughter is good medicine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: