Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German Empty
PostSubject: Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German   Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:23 am

I have a German character who is important to the portion of my book that I'm writing now.

I know enough Spanish for the English/Spanish online dictionaries to work, but I've never had one German lesson, so I'm not sure about their answers.

Would a mother call her three-year-old son, Liebchen?

What would that same child call his godfather? Pate, perhaps? No?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German   Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 pm

You will find that the ending on words of endearment are "lein" and "chen". In this case, Liebchen is correct.
As for godfather, I'm not sure. I'll inquire about this from some locals and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German   Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:20 am

Ann,

The reference to a Godfather by a child is normally Onkel.
The German term for Godfather is “correctly” Taufpate (or simply, “Pate”). But also Patenonkel… Onkel (uncle) for short. A child would often therefore address his godfather as “Onkel”.
In some areas in the Pfälzerwald, the word Päte is used. If the Germans in Texas had their origins in the Pfälzerwald, the use of “Päte” may also have been used.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German   Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks so much, Abe. I had thought of just using Uncle, but wasn't sure if it would be correct. The dictionary suggested Pate, along with a couple of other choices, but, I think I will just go with Onkel, or simply Uncle, as an English variation.

I really appreciate the time and help.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German   Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 7:05 am

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German   Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions for Abe or anyone who knows a little German
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: