Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Book Tour.com Closing shop

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Book Tour.com  Closing shop Empty
PostSubject: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 am

I found this site very useful and am disappointed it is closing. You may have received this email. If not, I have copied it below because it lists some resources I have not used and I thought they might be useful to you.

Dear friends of BookTour,

We regret to inform you that BookTour will be shutting down on Thursday,
September 1, 2011. On that date, all of our services will end and our data will
be unavailable.

Fewer author tours and changes in book marketing budgets have made our
company financially unviable. And while we would like to continue providing the
valuable service that is BookTour, everyone here has families to feed and bills
to pay. As such, the founders are working on new and exciting ventures in
publishing and software development.

We'd like to thank all the authors, publishers, venues and readers that have
supported BookTour since its inception. In our absence, we recommend tools from
Amazon Author Central, Google Calendar, Upcoming.org and Eventful.com as worthy replacements.

Any author's existing tour data on BookTour may be downloaded as an XML file
off of their author page or via the tool on this page, and then imported to
any of the above replacement services that support it.

The BookTour Team

P.S. Questions about our closure may be directed to Kevin Smokler at
Smokler@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:39 pm

I went to its site -I can't even figure out what BookTour is. You have to sign up to get anywhere past the main screen. They might have done better if visitors to their site could figure out what they do.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm

They notified users of authors (member authors) on tour in their area. You could search by authors to see where they were signing books. They also assisting with lining up bookstores in other cities and states for tours and locating newspapers for news releases. They also connected to Amazon.com so that authors' pages listed where they would be touring - and it was automatic when info was entered in Book Tour.

I found local friends on Book Tour and attended their events. I looked at the other sites they recommended and they are too broad based to be useful to me. Book Tour was specifically author events. In today's environment, perhaps they were too specific and likely didn't have enough revenue generating aspects. I don't even remember if they had a paid upgrade; I was happy with the free services.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 5:12 pm

This is too bad, DK. Too many business's are closing

I am so sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 5:23 pm

I guess I'm lucky I've finally resigned myself to retirement and a fixed, small income with coupon clipping and dining in forever. At least I have an income. So many have nothing and are living in desperation. I feel for them. I had 24 hours when I had access to no funds due to a bank closing all my accounts in error, including my credit card. Just for that short period of time the desperation and powerlessness were horrid. Imagine those who have lost their homes, their jobs and likely their hope by now. Something has got to improve things; we are still the greatest country in the world with so many resources.

I do believe that so many special interests now control Congress, both parties, that the nation's best interest is not on the front burner. It's truly job security for those in Congress that rules. Money pays for campaigns to elect representatives who write legislation that favors those who contribute. You and I don't contribute enough to be on the receiving list.

I remember a friend who supported a local councilman's campaign. I thought it a waste. "No," he said, "wait until I need a zoning variance. He'll remember." It starts in our own backyard; how can we stop it?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

DK,

It is high tme something really good happened to you--here's hoping.

Maybe a rich, kind gentleman is looking for you.

Happy thought!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I have already lived it all, and now is just the glide. At least I no longer have to pretend I am younger or care whether anyone is interested in what I have to say. Many women spend their elder years single. That is just the way things are. Men my age and older want younger women. I looked at those Internet sites. A man 68 writes, "I am healthy, active and attractive. I am looking for an athletic built woman age 45 - 55 who has no baggage and loves life to snuugle with and care for." Or a man 75, "I am quite wealthy and enjoy travel. I am looking for a young, vital woman who wants to see the world but still knows how to appreciate loving, tender moments." Right. I think one of those women who answer those ads has disappeared and her Internet traveling partner is in jail in Aruba. I never meet anyone, either. It's just not my time. Since I lived a full, romantic and exciting life I at least have memories. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Miracles do happen. :-)
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 am

They do, DK, when you least expect them.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 3:58 am

dkchristi wrote:
I have already lived it all, and now is just the glide. At least I no longer have to pretend I am younger or care whether anyone is interested in what I have to say. Many women spend their elder years single. That is just the way things are. Men my age and older want younger women. I looked at those Internet sites. A man 68 writes, "I am healthy, active and attractive. I am looking for an athletic built woman age 45 - 55 who has no baggage and loves life to snuugle with and care for." Or a man 75, "I am quite wealthy and enjoy travel. I am looking for a young, vital woman who wants to see the world but still knows how to appreciate loving, tender moments." Right. I think one of those women who answer those ads has disappeared and her Internet traveling partner is in jail in Aruba. I never meet anyone, either. It's just not my time. Since I lived a full, romantic and exciting life I at least have memories. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Miracles do happen. :-)

What DK said.

One of those miracles would be nice, but my contentment does not depend on it happening.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 4:19 am

Another lesson on "show and tell"?

Ran across this during my morning surf:
Quote :

”Don’t speak to me about your religion; first show it to me in how you treat other people. Don’t tell me how much you love your God; show me in how much you love all His children. Don’t preach to me your passion for your faith; teach me through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I’m not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as I am in how you choose to live and give.” ~ Cory Booker ~ Mayor of Newark, N.J.

Synchronistic?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:05 am

Great quote...
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:34 am

Quote :
Men my age and older want younger women. I looked at those Internet
sites. A man 68 writes, "I am healthy, active and attractive. I am
looking for an athletic built woman age 45 - 55 who has no baggage and
loves life to snuugle with and care for." Or a man 75, "I am quite
wealthy and enjoy travel. I am looking for a young, vital woman who
wants to see the world but still knows how to appreciate loving, tender
moments."

lol, I want a lot of stuff too, but am realistic in my chances to get them. Men who aren't wealthy aren't going to pull an attractive, significantly younger woman. Surely reality has smacked them in the face by now.

Also, I bet most of the ones who place those ads and do have money are cheap as hell.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 6:35 am

I do think the Internet has its place in making introductions, just as people in a forum develop rapport with people who share their thoughts and words.

I know several people who made successful Internet matches. However, the most successful matches are those made by friends who know two people who might enjoy each other's company.

There are many told and untold stories of Internet match disasters and murder itself. Predators scan the Net for victims.

I would never use the Internet for a match with an unknown person. However, there are times when I think that no potential companion will knock on my door. That only happens in the romance genre. So, I have looked at the Internet and recognized men I actually know. Their fine opinion of their own attributes don't leave much room for anyone else. They had plenty of opportunity to meet the woman of their dreams; but on the Internet they searched for the perfect woman of their dreams.

I am imperfect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Tour.com Closing shop   Book Tour.com  Closing shop Empty

Back to top Go down

Book Tour.com Closing shop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: